Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Re: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Horror show for Liverpool with a 4-1 loss. Big pressure next week against Ajax.

Richarlison became a Tottenham legend with two goals today against Marseille. Atleti and Porto scored 3 extra time goals between them in a 2-1 Atleti win (after an 82nd minute red card for a Porto player). Club Brugge beat Leverkusen 1-0 and Sporting beat Frankfurt 3-0. Awful round for non-Bayern German clubs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Betterread (09-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Since I summarized and rounded off some numbers, here are clarifications for RM. There were 10 months and two managers in between the two Zidane tenures which were 28 months and 26 months. And Real Madrid have had 17 managers since del Bosque left in 2003.
    And just to clarify that my points about short term managers is not meant to imply that I am a big Tuchel fan, nor a Chelsea fan in any way, shape, or form. He’s not one my favorite managers, but he earned my respect with his Chelsea champions league trophy.
    My thing with Tuchel is I'd like to see him do what Mourinho never has, adapt. He seems like he could. Felt like he did a bit at PSG, which couldn't really press the way he wanted.

Madrid was a killing field between del Bosque and Mourinho. It was like watching a club eat itself ouroboros style.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Horror show for Liverpool with a 4-1 loss. Big pressure next week against Ajax.

Richarlison became a Tottenham legend with two goals today against Marseille. Atleti and Porto scored 3 extra time goals between them in a 2-1 Atleti win (after an 82nd minute red card for a Porto player). Club Brugge beat Leverkusen 1-0 and Sporting beat Frankfurt 3-0. Awful round for non-Bayern German clubs.
    The offside system that disallowed the leverkusen goal and apparently is going to be used in the World Cup is very very bad. He was maybe off by the edge of his boot.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The offside system that disallowed the leverkusen goal and apparently is going to be used in the World Cup is very very bad. He was maybe off by the edge of his boot.
    Haven't seen it yet, but I want the Dutch system (wide bars, you're onside if they're touching) to be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Haven't seen it yet, but I want the Dutch system (wide bars, you're onside if they're touching) to be the norm.
    https://twitter.com/nicocantor1/stat...wdpNLtVDcva-8g

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Wow. That is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Call back for this take… Napoli destroying Liverpool. Yeah, Liverpool has injury problems, but they also seem to have some energy issues. Not much fire in the belly this far into the season.
    Hey Luciano!(fall reference) Luciano Spaletti (there’s a coach I like) gegenpressed the original gegenpresser to death. Anyone feeling any Schadenfreude?

torn with potter appointment. wanted him at man utd for years and not sure he has the back up with his director of football at brighton. shame for all those kids at brighton who wont develop the same.

11. Likes:

M2 (09-08-2022)

2nd week of the Champions League kicked off today, and if you're not a Club Brugge by now, shame on you. They buried Porto 4-0 on the road, and now lead their group (featuring Atleti and Leverkusen). Liverpool saved themselves late from a home draw against Ajax. Bayern played Barca, so Bayern beat Barca (2-0 this time). And Sporting took command of its group by beating Spurs 2-0.

Not that the UEFA Nations League a super important competition, but it is a pretty fair barometer for how teams are playing heading into the World Cup. England is going to be relegated down to the B level. The overall team so far might be the Netherlands.

Champions League is back and the group phase is going to happen fast and furious over the next few weeks.

Somebody needs to break up Club Brugge, which beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 today. The Belgians are way off the front of the group with victories over Atleti, Leverkusen and Porto (all 6 points back). One more win and they're in.

Napoli is crushing its group. It won 6-1 at Ajax today. Liverpool has moved into a comfortable 2nd.

Inter beat Barca today (with VAR drama). If Barca doesn't get the win back next week (at home), then it's going to need to get a result out of Bayern in order to make the next round.

And the Sporting, Tottenham, Frankfurt, Marseille group is still anything goes.

Can anyone help me understand what Mbappe is saying? Just a few months after PSG committed their future to him with a £100 million bonus PLUS the highest salary in the world £4 million/month, he wants out of PSG because he doesn’t like the club’s direction AND he wants to play with a “true #9 like Olivier Girond on les Bleus”

What?

My confusion is - isn’t he the center of the club’s direction. And isn’t he a true #9? I thought 9s were the goal scorers. Olivier Giroud is certainly not that - he is like a caddy for the true goal scorer of whatever team he is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Can anyone help me understand what Mbappe is saying? Just a few months after PSG committed their future to him with a £100 million bonus PLUS the highest salary in the world £4 million/month, he wants out of PSG because he doesn’t like the club’s direction AND he wants to play with a “true #9 like Olivier Girond on les Bleus”

What?

My confusion is - isn’t he the center of the club’s direction. And isn’t he a true #9? I thought 9s were the goal scorers. Olivier Giroud is certainly not that - he is like a caddy for the true goal scorer of whatever team he is on.
    I mean, #9s have to do a lot of donkey work too. Messi and Neymar aren't doing that. Mbappe's got to do the hold-up work and chase at the point of their press. He thought he'd either get to play wing or as a modified #10. PSG basically has operated like Max Bialystock in The Producers by promising 100% control of the club to multiple players. No one trusts anyone over there. It's expected that Messi will head back to Barcelona next season.

It's interesting me because Madrid is the club he could have gone to this summer. He'd have formed a frontline with Benzema and Vinicius. Yet Rodrygo is taking another step forward and I don't think Mbappe's worth the record transfer fee it would take to get him. All the reasons why he picked PSG this summer are all the reasons why Madrid probably should steer clear of him. Kind of feel like he'll go to ManU, which has big pockets and even bigger needs.

Juve just lost 2-0 to Maccabi Haifa. The Old Lady is tired.

18. Likes:

Betterread (10-12-2022)

Taj Buchanan should have earned a penalty v Athletico Madrid, instead Molina got the call and Buchanan got the yellow. Athletic get away with so much dirty play but Club Brugge hold on to the top spot in their group.
    and Barca fought back (through Lewandowski) to earn a 3-3 draw vrs Internazionale (they were down 1-2 at 80 minutes).

20. Likes:

M2 (10-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?