Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most 90's Song

The Most 90's Song

You can go so many different directions here.

I think Smells Like Teen Spirit is the immediate go-to

However, that is completely ignoring hip-hop, R&B, and gangster rap which exploded in the 90s.

The answer very well might be Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dogg

It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube

The Crossroads by BONE?

Foo Fighters - Everlong (this is my lowkey favorite answer)

But if we are being honest It's All About the Benjamins by Puff Daddy is kind of perfect for multiple reasons.

And how can we not mention "I Swear"?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-01-2022 at 10:41 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022),ShyGuy (01-08-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Most 90's Song

My first thought (after Nirvana).

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The answer very well might be Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dogg
    I don't think I've ever been around a group of people when that song comes on and not heard at least one person yell "Mount Up!"

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-01-2022)

"California Love" is another banger that makes everyone perk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

My first thought (after Nirvana).
    It’s funny, I understand this song came out in the 90s but Backstreet Boys and NYSNC represent early 00’s to me

Flagpole Sitta
    Wonderwall
    Loser
    Sabotage
    Nuthin’ but a ‘G’ Thang

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-01-2022),Boss-Hog (09-01-2022),Redsfaithful (09-01-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-01-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

We skipping right over the '80s? All right. I suppose somebody needed to put the '80s in their place.

My take on the '90s is its most outstanding feature was women threw it down. Like, they stopped trying to be what they thought guys thought they should be and started being themselves. I knew a fair number of stuck-in-the-'80s guys who got shunned by women in the 90s. The party jock routine that served them well in the '80s didn't work in the '90s. Women were not having it. They suddenly had self-respect and standards, and a short attention span for idiots.

And suddenly there was a explosion of women in music. They rocked as hard as the guys, they rapped as hard as the guys. This wasn't music, but the '90s were a long walk to a signature sports moment that kind of summed up the "girls rule the world" vibe that grew through the decade. Brandi Chastain was too awesome to care about what you thought.

Yet that moment had its roots in all those girl groups cranking up their amps earlier in the decade. They didn't care what you thought. Like in any decade, many trends came and went, but riot grrrls have remained eternal. They weren't a fad, they were a statement. And at the tip of that spear there was one band, Bikini Kill. And Bikini Kill had a song that became a manifesto. Everybody in the '90s claimed to be after something real. Bikini Kill did it realer than anyone. If you want to hear the '90s, you listen to "Rebel Girl".

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Betterread (09-01-2022),KronoRed (09-01-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    We skipping right over the '80s? All right. I suppose somebody needed to put the '80s in their place.

My take on the '90s is its most outstanding feature was women threw it down. Like, they stopped trying to be what they thought guys thought they should be and started being themselves. I knew a fair number of stuck-in-the-'80s guys who got shunned by women in the 90s. The party jock routine that served them well in the '80s didn't work in the '90s. Women were not having it. They suddenly had self-respect and standards, and a short attention span for idiots.

And suddenly there was a explosion of women in music. They rocked as hard as the guys, they rapped as hard as the guys. This wasn't music, but the '90s were a long walk to a signature sports moment that kind of summed up the "girls rule the world" vibe that grew through the decade. Brandi Chastain was too awesome to care about what you thought.

Yet that moment had its roots in all those girl groups cranking up their amps earlier in the decade. They didn't care what you thought. Like in any decade, many trends came and went, but riot grrrls have remained eternal. They weren't a fad, they were a statement. And at the tip of that spear there was one band, Bikini Kill. And Bikini Kill had a song that became a manifesto. Everybody in the '90s claimed to be after something real. Bikini Kill did it realer than anyone. If you want to hear the '90s, you listen to "Rebel Girl".
    Torn, If it makes you happy, Pretend we are dead, Doll Parts, Stupid Girl.... I have them all. My wife was in a all female band and she has a LOT of woman in her collection, probably 80%

The Dixie Chicks might be the ultimate 90's Girl Power band for the people. They were huge, I saw them in San Jose and it was a great show

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

While not a genre I cared for at all, any Spice Girls hit represented ‘90s pop, at least to a segment of the population. Again, I HATE that genre and found their sound annoying.

Anyway, RTG and BZ’s initial posts basically answer the question, IMO. That said, I’ll throw out some ‘90’s mainstays:

What It’s Like - Everlast
    Longview - Green Day
    Self Esteem - Offspring
    Closing Time - Semisonic
    Inside Out - Eve 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

16. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-01-2022),Rojo Rijo (01-11-2023),westofyou (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I feel like we had an 80s thread already a year or so ago. I started one called "Best 80s song" - it wasn't what is your favorite 80s song, it was what is the best 80s song in your opinion. I suppose we could start a new 80s one, though.

With that said - The Gits - Second Skin is amazing

18. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Closing Time - Semisonic
    Ooooh this is a good one.

I remember being in junior high listening to this song one day and my older brother said "watch this" - he went to some search function on AOL for searching keywords in people's profiles. He typed in "every new beginning
    Comes from some other beginning's end" and the result was like infinity profiles haha.

20. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Radiohead - Creep
    Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
    The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
    R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
    Sublime - What I Got
    Pearl Jam - Black
    Eiffel 65 - Blue
    Weezer - Buddy Holly
    Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
    No Doubt - Don't Speak
    Spice Girls - Wannabe
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022),Rojo Rijo (01-11-2023)

Santa Monica
    La Viva Loco
    Macarena

24. Likes:

I saw a Letters from Cleo video the other day and was reminded that Ugly Kid Joe did a cover of Cat's in the Cradle

Not An Addict - K's Choice
    Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
    Fantasy - Mariah Carey
    Ironic - Alanis Morissette
    Lovefool - The Cardigans
    You Get What You Give - The New Radicals
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

27. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?