Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trent: Steer told he's "headed to the big leagues"

Re: Trent: Steer told he's "headed to the big leagues"

Perhaps the Cincinnati Reds have Steered into the right direction...... too soon?
    “As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves.”
    -- Ken Griffey, Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Perhaps the Cincinnati Reds have Steered into the right direction...... too soon?
    Way overdue, I'd say.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

bounty37h (09-03-2022),Sea Ray (09-03-2022)

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

“It’s hard not to be romantic about baseball.”

Even in a season that has t gone the way anyone would like, Friday’s Reds victory will be one many remember

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    And steering away from Moose...
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

7. Likes:

bagz (09-04-2022)

Steer is known for his ability as a hitter, but his versatility is a key skill that’s going to help the Reds keep hitters like Donovan Solano and Kyle Farmer in the lineup alongside him.

“It’s fun for me playing different positions every night,” Steer said. “It’s kind of fun going to the field and not knowing where I was going to be on the field that night. I really started to embrace that with the Twins, and the Reds put me in some spots I’ve never played before. That took it to another level, which I had fun with. Whatever happens here, I feel prepared because of them throwing me in those different spots.”
    “I would describe myself as a guy (who) you know what you’re going to get (from),” Steer said. "You’re going to get good at-bats every time I go up there. I’m a guy that’s going to compete and put the bat on the baseball. I’m going to hit it hard. I’m just going to find a way to get on base for you.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-AA11pDTs
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-03-2022 at 03:05 PM.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-04-2022),bagz (09-04-2022),RED VAN HOT (09-03-2022),Redhook (09-03-2022),Tuff Nut (09-04-2022)

Reds have 32 games left. Were Steer to play all 32, he is on pace to finish with 33 2b, 33 HR, 66 runs, 33 rbi and a slash line of 1000/1000/3000/4000. I don't know if that would be enough to wrestle the rookie of the year away from Spencer Strider but I would love to see the vote.

If the Reds win all 32 of those games, they would finish with a 84-78 record a .518 winning percentage. Right now the last wild card is at .556. Looks tough.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

11. Likes:

757690 (09-04-2022),Assembly Hall (09-04-2022),bagz (09-04-2022),Bourgeois Zee (09-03-2022),camisadelgolf (09-04-2022),M2 (09-05-2022),Roy Tucker (09-03-2022),WrongVerb (09-03-2022)

I know there have been better MLB debuts but man he looks like a seasoned MLB Vet at the plate!
    The Stop And Chat

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If the Reds win all 32 of those games, they would finish with a 84-78 record a .518 winning percentage. Right now the last wild card is at .556. Looks tough.
    Looks like they will need help.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Looks like they will need help.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-07-2022)

If Steer is considered a future position player for the Reds, which should be the case, then why does Bell play him at DH last night and have Solano play 1b?

Quote Originally Posted by Indymoon View Post
    If Steer is considered a future position player for the Reds, which should be the case, then why does Bell play him at DH last night and have Solano play 1b?
    Same reason that you should always have your CF bat leadoff.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

That is what the analytics told Bell?

My guess is they wanted his bat in the lineup and they him to sit with a coach and watch India play and talk about what he will have to do when he plays 2b for the first time for the Reds tonight

20. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My guess is they wanted his bat in the lineup and they him to sit with a coach and watch India play and talk about what he will have to do when he plays 2b for the first time for the Reds tonight
    I guess that's plausible.

Of course, he's played over 100 games at 2b in his professional career so it's not exactly a new position. And there's that crazy new technology called video, which would allow the team to compile clips of prior games to watch on a ipad and see the proper positioning of the 2b. And this could include every possible situation rather than a select few that might occur in one game.

Sorry about the sarcasm but Bell's (or the Red's) habit of babying players, or pretending Tuesday's game is game 7 of the World Series, drives me crazy. Let the kids play!

I guess that's plausible.

Of course, he's played over 100 games at 2b in his professional career so it's not exactly a new position. And there's that crazy new technology called video, which would allow the team to compile clips of prior games to watch on a ipad and see the proper positioning of the 2b. And this could include every possible situation rather than a select few that might occur in one game.

Sorry about the sarcasm but Bell's (or the Red's) habit of babying players, or pretending Tuesday's game is game 7 of the World Series, drives me crazy. Let the kids play!
    Maybe, but he's now playing 2b for the Reds and they have their own shift patterns to learn and I'll have a guy watch it in real time with a coach over handing him an IPad

23. Likes:

Big Klu (09-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?