Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Trent: Steer told he's "headed to the big leagues"

Re: Trent: Steer told he's "headed to the big leagues"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Re: Steer...

For me, the most important stats are the ones that most quickly indicate a sustainable skill level -- strikeouts and walks. His current 22.1% and 13.2% respectively bode well. If a guy comes up and he can take a walk, not strikeout too much, and show functional power, I'm gonna be optimistic.

To wit, there are 22 guys in the majors this year with 100+ PA, BB% > 12%, SO% < 25%. Their average OPS is .788, average wOBA is .345. 17 of the 22 are north of .700 OPS, 12 north of .750. (I believe league average OPS is .708)

Steer hasn't hit for much power yet, but he put up an ISO north of .200 in the minors, including a .242 this year in AAA. He's probably not a slugger, but he's got pop. If in his next game he goes 3/4 with a single, double, and homer, his slash line goes from .220/.324/.322 to .254/.347/.413. If one good game can swing your slash line that much, you shouldn't be looking at the slash line.

I hadn't seen the Frazier comp before, but that makes sense. On the other hand, a comp that makes a similar amount of sense is Colin Moran (who happens to be 1 of those 22 above). I think it will come down to how much he can tap into his power and his glove. With a good glove, a .150 ISO should play. With a mediocre glove, he's gonna need .200+.
    I like plate approach, but after having seen lots of players with seemingly solid plate approaches amount to nothing, the thing I'm increasingly looking for is facility with the bat. Not sure what that measure is - some combination of barrel %, EV, sweet spot % and hard hit % - but some combination of frequency and quality. Layer that with approach and you've probably got a player.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

757690 (09-25-2022),REDREAD (09-26-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    To be honest, the shine is beginning to fade. Steer has a solid approach to the plate, nice patience, good pitch recognition, but he just doesn’t seem to be making much hard contact.
    Attachment 18789
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

NebraskaRed (09-25-2022)

To be honest, the shine is beginning to fade. Steer has a solid approach to the plate, nice patience, good pitch recognition, but he just doesn’t seem to be making much hard contact. The hits he’s been getting lately have been mostly ones that find holes.

Hopefully this is just an adjustment stage for him, but I can see why the Reds are experimenting with him in a utility role. I don’t see him has a starter, at least not based on what I have seen so far.
    Home run to CF today.

7. Likes:

757690 (09-25-2022),Ron Madden (09-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Home run to CF today.
    Game Winning Home Run !!!

9. Likes:

757690 (09-25-2022)

I'd like to see Steer become the short side platoon with Votto at 1B next year and get playing time as needed across the IF for off days or longer absences. His ability to take a walk shows potential for a solid hit tool. If he can gives the Reds similar production as Farmer at the least it's a positive outcome.

That was some easy power to dead center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-26-2022)

Re: Trent: Steer told he's &quot;headed to the big leagues&quot;

Good call on players being tired this time of year, especially prospects who are playing this late for the first time. That might be part of Steer’s problem.

For the record, I think he would be quite valuable in a utility role if that is where he ends up.
    I'm going to cut him some slack. He's played on 4 teams this year and has almost 100 more plate appearances than he had last year.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (09-26-2022),Ron Madden (09-26-2022),Sea Ray (09-26-2022),westofyou (09-26-2022)

Steer needs to be penciled in everyday. He had almost identical numbers as India's in the Minors with more power.
    Also his first month in Majors looking the same as India's start. Lets see what we got!

16. Likes:

Jaysland Red (09-29-2022),mth123 (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TN Reds View Post
    Steer needs to be penciled in everyday. He had almost identical numbers as India's in the Minors with more power.
    Also his first month in Majors looking the same as India's start. Lets see what we got!
    I don't disagree, but it looks to me like the 2023 Reds will mix and match. Certain players will move around the diamond in an effort to get the best L/R matchups.

Reds Beat by Mark Sheldon
    When the Reds played the Rockies on Sept. 2, Spencer Steer had the Major League debut any kid would dream of. In a 2-for-2 night where he reached safely four times, Steer hit a home run for his first hit and scored the game-winning run in a 3-2 walk-off win.

Not surprisingly, every game since has been more challenging. Steer didn’t hit his second big league homer until Sunday, when his eighth-inning solo shot gave Cincinnati a 2-1 win over the Brewers. The time between homers has included a learning experience.

Reds manager David Bell recently told Steer he can tell that he knows what he’s doing and looks comfortable at this level. He likes how the rookie has handled himself.

“He's just going to keep getting better,” Bell said. “He's at a point in the season he's never been at before and there's fatigue that sets in. There's all kinds of stuff he's dealing with. And he's just steady. I think players like that stay like that no matter what happens.”
    story continue here:
    https://view.mail.mlblists.com/messa...6a3be7f824/raw
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-28-2022 at 05:03 PM.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (09-28-2022),westofyou (09-29-2022)

Turn Off Ads?