Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the 80's ... The "Most '80s" Songs

Re: Back to the 80's ... The "Most '80s" Songs

2. Likes:

goreds2 (09-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The best 80s music came from clubs - dance clubs and metal clubs. Metallica and Slayer changed the parameters of metal forever, with One and Reign in Blood as “hits”.
    As for dance clubs, dominatrix sleeps tonight by Dominatrix was the biggest track of 1984 in NYC clubs and my choice for most 80s song.
    Last edited by Betterread; 09-01-2022 at 11:35 PM.

The youngest female to write, produce, and perform a #1 single. Don't lie... you had a crush on her too. She made her mark in the '80's...

“It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

6. Likes:

Betterread (09-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    The youngest female to write, produce, and perform a #1 single. Don't lie... you had a crush on her too. She made her mark in the '80's...
    Met her in person (knew her sister) and didn’t have a crush on her. She came across as super driven and ambitious, not really gorgeous and not as intelligent as her sister. She did well in schooll, though. I think her NY Jewish mom was very demanding of the kids so they all did well. She was no JAP.

So, these guys faked it. The music was still good. We've all faked a few things in our day...

Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-02-2022 at 01:00 AM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-02-2022)

The most 80’s video and it’s not even close

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

Betterread (09-02-2022),goreds2 (09-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    In school, a housemate and I would go up to Montreal to watch the Expos. He would inevitably get drunk and insist we listen to America as we came through the border crossing,.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

"Soft Cell, a tweezy synthesizer and singer duo whose fondest subject was sexual perversion, had a huge turntable hit in the clubs with "Tainted Love", which then crossed over to radio, enjoying the longest tenure, at forty-three weeks, of any single in Billboard history."

Who hasn't listened to this song and watched this video a few hundred times? I had a huge crush on the cute girl in this video.

They would play this at Nats Park during the 7th inning stretch after Take me Out the Ballgame. They may still do as I haven't been to a game there in a few years. It was kinda funny with the entire crowd trying to hit that one high note.

This probably the most 80's song for me also.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

goreds2 (09-02-2022)

John Parr - "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7vNdAb5e4
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-13-2022),westofyou (09-02-2022)

So, these guys faked it. The music was still good. We've all faked a few things in our day...

There's a strong argument that Rob & Fab deserve the nod here because they lip synched it. What's more '80s than going #1 for a song you didn't sing?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (09-02-2022)

You can't have an '80's music thread without a mention of a Jim Steinman(RIP) composition:

---- Bill Vaughn

21. Likes:

757690 (09-02-2022),goreds2 (09-02-2022)

There's many excellent suggestions here of songs that capture the look/feel/sound of the '80s. It was a decade that fully documented itself. Though I'll argue those songs somewhat miss on its disposability, at least thematically. Talking Heads had been doing a stellar job of skewering the era's zeitgeist (a shout here for "Life During Wartime"), but it was in 1985 where they decided that maybe they were being too subtle. So they made a toe-tapper designed to have everyone sing along ecstatically about how we were speeding headlong into a cul-de-sac.

I present you with "Road to Nowhere", where they just went and said the quiet part out loud.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

Betterread (09-02-2022),westofyou (09-02-2022)

Did anyone besides me like THE OUTFIELD ? "Josie's on a vacation far away ..." Such a signature eighties sound. RIP , Tony Lewis.

---- Bill Vaughn

25. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-13-2022),goreds2 (09-02-2022),M2 (09-02-2022),RiverRat13 (09-02-2022)

Probably the favorite band of former Bengal, Tyler Eifort. lol GLASS TIGER. Always takes me right back to the eighties.

---- Bill Vaughn

Turn Off Ads?