Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Back to the 80's ... The "Most '80s" Songs

Re: Back to the 80's ... The "Most '80s" Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Definitely not a great song but certainly not the worst in the annuls of rock history.
    With the caveat that the worst song is probably something almost no one has ever heard, it is still high crimes. Perhaps it's the most hated song ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    With the caveat that the worst song is probably something almost no one has ever heard, it is still high crimes. Perhaps it's the most hated song ever.
    I’ve noticed that about We Built This City with each passing decade. Their were many back in the day that held the ‘meh’ opinion of that sing - yours truly, for example - but it’s either a love or hate situation today.

Personally, I mainly resent that song for at least two reasons:

1) There were, IMO, several Mickey Thomas era starship hits - pop and rock radio - that were far superior and also encapsulated the ‘80s - Find Your Way Back, Jane (even though it was released in late ‘79) and No Way Out, for example.

2) It’s widely recognized as their signature song - of the post Marty Balin era - which, IMO, is pathetic.

In short, It’s an abomination by the band’s standards IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Definitely not a great song but certainly not the worst in the annuls of rock history.
    I don't listen to modern music that much but I'd bet I'd like it better than just about most popular songs of the last 10 years.

The songs all right though imo. Not bad not great. Don't know that much about that group but I liked Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

For cringeworthy songs of the 80s for me it's be The Final Countdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I’ve noticed that about We Built This City with each passing decade. Their were many back in the day that held the ‘meh’ opinion of that sing - yours truly, for example - but it’s either a love or hate situation today.

Personally, I mainly resent that song for at least two reasons:

1) There were, IMO, several Mickey Thomas era starship hits - pop and rock radio - that were far superior and also encapsulated the ‘80s - Find Your Way Back, Jane (even though it was released in late ‘79) and No Way Out, for example.

2) It’s widely recognized as their signature song - of the post Marty Balin era - which, IMO, is pathetic.

In short, It’s an abomination by the band’s standards IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm a JS fan and I hate that it is considered by many to be their signature song. They had many that were way better. Still, when you watch Mickey Thomas and Starship perform today, WBTC is the song that those in attendance seem to get into more than any other. I prefer songs that featured Balin on vocals , songs like "Miracles," "Count on Me," "Runaway," and "With Your Love."
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It used to be if you had a Kings Island season pass, you could get a Timberwolf ticket for like $5. At the time, my kids were little. So we'd buy tickets, put the kids in the stroller, and go see bands like Jefferson Starship, Dan Fogelberg, REO Speedwagon, Kenny Loggins, a real melange of 80's music. We'd sit in the very back row and pretend we were still hip.
    I know most will think this is lame, but I’ve seen REO Speedwagon like 100 times. Met them a handful of times and even have a tattoo on my arm.

7. Likes:

757690 (09-05-2022),Dom Heffner (09-13-2022),goreds2 (09-05-2022),redsfandan (09-18-2022),Revering4Blue (09-05-2022),westofyou (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I know most will think this is lame, but I’ve seen REO Speedwagon like 100 times. Met them a handful of times and even have a tattoo on my arm.
    That is hardcore. The one thing that band has going for it is the all-time record for song titles that begin with the word "keep."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-05-2022),westofyou (09-05-2022)

Everybody has a hobby

I grew up in St. Louis, they are from around there, and were a big bar band before they broke out with their hits. They have always been great at playing old rocking covers in concert They are a much stronger live band than people think, even today.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This is the 80's for me - go Hoosiers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc
    Where we gonna go?

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-16-2022)

I worked with a guy that was obsessed with Poco, he got to know them and would hang out with them when they were in town.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Someone I work with has a sister who is obsessed with Night Ranger.
    Where we gonna go?

16. Likes:

westofyou (09-05-2022)

I saw the Dead over 200 times, I have no problem with obsessions

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Someone I work with has a sister who is obsessed with Night Ranger.
    Sister Christian?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I saw the Dead over 200 times, I have no problem with obsessions
    So did Haley Joel Osmet.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

19. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-05-2022),redsfandan (09-18-2022),texasdave (09-06-2022),westofyou (09-05-2022)

Funny, but I saw REO Speedwagon probably 8-10 times in the era 1970-1972 (mostly free outdoor events or bars). It was before Kevin Cronin became their singer and before all their big hits. We used to roll our eyes when they played because they’d have a 15 minute drum solo followed by a 10 minute bass solo. When they started having big FM radio hits, I was like “these are the same guys?” Pre-Cronin, they were pretty awful IMO.

Had the same reaction to Bob Seger. I saw him play several times at the Agora in Columbus. He was almost like the house band there and pre-Night Moves. Before Night Moves, he was fine but mostly a midwest boogie regional band.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

Betterread (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    So did Haley Joel Osmet.
    I see dead, people.

Turn Off Ads?