Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: TJ

Re: TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect he's the LH portion of a CF time-share with Stuart Fairchild. Defensively, he's been -3 OAA over his two seasons in MLB. That's below average for a CF, but his bat isn't big enough to play anything but a bit role on the OF corners. Play him next to two other solid defenders (Fraley and a free agent), and he'll be more than adequate.

A bottom 10 glove CF who can OPS 750+ is an asset.

A top 10 LF glove who can OPS 750+ is less so.
    I agree. I said he's best suited for LF, but on this team the CF platoon of Friedl and Fairchild is the best course of action. Unless they Make Fairchild the full time guy in RF, since it's a gaping hole right now.

I want the Reds to focus most of the spending on pitching, but they need a RF. I'd like to see them try to bring Tyler Naquin back. Solid defender in a corner, has a big arm for RF, League averagish bat (which is a huge improvement to internal options), and should be reasonably priced. Lefty bats get a GABP boost. 2 years $15 Million is a better deal than he's likely to get IMO and its something the Reds can afford even in their own unreasonable budget. He'll be 32 in April.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-06-2022),Sea Ray (10-04-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect he's the LH portion of a CF time-share with Stuart Fairchild. Defensively, he's been -3 OAA over his two seasons in MLB. That's below average for a CF, but his bat isn't big enough to play anything but a bit role on the OF corners. Play him next to two other solid defenders (Fraley and a free agent), and he'll be more than adequate.

A bottom 10 glove CF who can OPS 750+ is an asset.

A top 10 LF glove who can OPS 750+ is less so.
    He has a really small sample size at any position in MLB. Add in that the sample size is even smaller when you break it down to position and ballpark, and you really need another season to see how he does as an Outfielder at any position Defensively. In the Minors he was very good to excellent, so there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be that at the MLB level, too. He's already shown to be spectacular defensively since his call-up August 16th, when he finally got to play on a regular basis for the very first time, the very first time in his major league career. Quality Defense comes with playing every day. Playing once or twice a week doesn't give anyone an oppotunity to improve in any sport. Try improving your golf game playing only twice a week. It's impossible.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He has a really small sample size at any position in MLB. Add in that the sample size is even smaller when you break it down to position and ballpark, and you really need another season to see how he does as an Outfielder at any position Defensively. In the Minors he was very good to excellent, so there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be that at the MLB level, too. He's already shown to be spectacular defensively since his call-up August 16th, when he finally got to play on a regular basis for the very first time, the very first time in his major league career. Quality Defense comes with playing every day. Playing once or twice a week doesn't give anyone an oppotunity to improve in any sport. Try improving your golf game playing only twice a week. It's impossible.
    Friedl is 27 years old. As a defender he is what he is. He runs well, but his range doesn't match his speed because he gets a bad jump and runs funky routes. He's not terrible, but defensively he'd be below average in CF and his arm isn't really RF worthy. He'd be above average in LF where the arm is less a factor and the competition is a lot of slower guys who hit. Offensively he's OK. His bat would probably light for a corner, his glove less than ideal in CF. Classic 4th OF tweener. Decent guy to have on a team and should get decent playing time, but if he's your everyday guy, the first thing you should do is look to improve.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I am amazed at the ability of some posters to determine how well a player plays defense based on a miniscule number of innings.

We don't know what Friedl really is yet. So far, he's proven below average in a small sample.

Why can't that be enough?

7. Likes:

HokieRed (10-05-2022)

Ride the TJ horse for as long as it’s productive. Maybe he’ll be like Jon Nunnaly, Chris Styne, or Chris Denorfia neighbor hood.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-05-2022),REDREAD (10-06-2022)

TJ

TJ had three acts this season

Games 1-29 100 PAs - .200/.250/.289/.539

Sent down

Games 30-49 74 PAs - .379/.432/.773/1.205

Games 50-72 84 PAs - .159/.286/.304/.590
    Last edited by westofyou; 10-04-2022 at 08:57 PM.

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-05-2022),HokieRed (10-05-2022),mth123 (10-04-2022),Ron Madden (10-04-2022),SomeCallMeTim (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Sent down

I've been an advocate for Friedl for years but I must say the last act worries me. I think he should certainly be part of the OF mix next year but beyond that it's much more difficult to project. They need to find at least one, and probably two, somewhere and hopefully keep the contracts short.

13. Likes:

elrojo (10-05-2022),Ron Madden (10-05-2022)

Sent down

Nick Senzel had a 20 game hot streak this year too surrounded by periods of roughly .600 level OPS. Just sayin'!

Nice post!

Sent down

Too many get caught up in ops which is greatly affected by BA and Babip (luck)
    Yes his first slash line is bad because no BA low walk rate and little power
    But the third one is showing he is being a solid hitter good walk rate (.127 difference in BA to OBP) His power is also solid (.304 - .159 is .145 iso) basically since BA is factored in twice it looks worse than reality.
    He had .164 babip and a 13% K rate so he has been unlucky during that streatch

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-05-2022),Old school 1983 (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Too many get caught up in ops which is greatly affected by BA and Babip (luck)
    Yes his first slash line is bad because no BA low walk rate and little power
    But the third one is showing he is being a solid hitter good walk rate (.127 difference in BA to OBP) His power is also solid (.304 - .159 is .145 iso) basically since BA is factored in twice it looks worse than reality.
    He had .164 babip and a 13% K rate so he has been unlucky during that streatch
    Crazy unlucky, it happens.

MLB is at .290 and his good stretch was at .359, so pretty lucky 19 games there too.

Harkens back to the constant debates on Jay Bruce who would have peaks and valleys that generated discussion on whether it was possible for a player to just be a consistent contributor or if the nature of the game and human performance just won't allow such a uniformed thing to occur.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-05-2022)

Crazy unlucky, it happens.

MLB is at .290 and his good stretch was at .359, so pretty lucky 19 games there too.

Harkens back to the constant debates on Jay Bruce who would have peaks and valleys that generated discussion on whether it was possible for a player to just be a consistent contributor or if the nature of the game and human performance just won't allow such a uniformed thing to occur.
    Overall .251 BABIP is what matters. With his wheels you'd expect that to be a little higher, so there's some BA points to be added to his 2023 OPS projection...

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Overall .251 BABIP is what matters. With his wheels you'd expect that to be a little higher, so there's some BA points to be added to his 2023 OPS projection...
    When a hitter has a 50% fly ball rate and an 18% LD rate, he could easily have low BABIP.

Especially when most of those fly balls are in play, as with a 9% HR/FB rate.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-05-2022 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    When a hitter has a 50% fly ball rate and an 18% LD rate, he could easily have low BABIP.
    Good call, I hadn't looked at his baseballsavant page. His xBA was .215 and based on his batted ball profile his expected OPS is significantly lower than his actual production. Good reason to start to doubt Mr. Friedl! Whether or not he deserves a roster spot at all should make for a spirited offseason debate...

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Good call, I hadn't looked at his baseballsavant page. His xBA was .215 and based on his batted ball profile his expected OPS is significantly lower than his actual production. Good reason to start to doubt Mr. Friedl! Whether or not he deserves a roster spot at all should make for a spirited offseason debate...
    I read that in his minor league stay Friedl increased his launch angle. Perhaps he’s better off going back to a line drive style. His problem may be fixable, he does make contact most of the time, and he’s not without power.

25. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-06-2022)

Turn Off Ads?