Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TJ

TJ

TJ Friedl had 4 hits in yesterday’s double header, including two home runs. His BA is up to .275. I think he has earned at least a platoon situation going forward.

2. Likes:

Chip R (09-06-2022),HokieRed (09-05-2022),M2 (09-05-2022),Old school 1983 (09-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: TJ

I'd like to see him get more at bats against lefthanded pitchers, too see if he could be more than just a platoon guy.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-05-2022),Tuff Nut (09-05-2022)

At minimum I believe he has earned a strong side platoon role. He can handle CF capably. He's a .750-.800 OPS bat. I say give him the CF job next year with Senzel as a platoon partner if needed.

If the Reds are dissatisfied with the CF options on the open market, a platoon of Friedl and Fairchild is absolutely defensible.

They can provide solid defense, good speed, some pop, and some patience from the bottom of the batting order, while being super cheap (thereby allowing the Reds to add more impact bats elsewhere).

Two platoons-- Friedl/ Fairchild in CF and Fraley/ Farmer (or Steer) in one of the corner spots-- would likely provide league average or better bats with solid extra value. (Interestingly, Red corner OF are pretty much middle of the pack right now in terms of fWAR, providing most of their value via defense and speed.)

That, in turn, could conveivably allow the Reds to make a larger splash with a free agent or trade acquisition.

I just can’t see how Senzel could keep the cf job over Friedl next year. Friedl is a better hitter, a better fielder, and a better base runner.

9. Likes:

M2 (09-05-2022),Revering4Blue (09-05-2022),Rowsdower (09-05-2022),SomeCallMeTim (09-05-2022)

Don’t see it myself, guy had 100 horrible PAs earlier this year too. I’m not slotting him at anything but a backup. This team needs better outfield play yes, don’t want to see two 27 year old ML players next year sharing 700 PAs

But that’s just me

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-05-2022),CaiGuy (09-05-2022),marcshoe (09-05-2022),Roy Tucker (09-05-2022),Tom Servo (09-05-2022)

In my mind right now, 2023 should have a Friedl/Almora platoon in CF. LF could be a Fraley/Farmer platoon (though I'd rather have Fraley at DH). They need a bat for RF. Stephenson, Votto, India, Barrero and Steer around the IF. Need a RF who can hit in the middle of the order and a DH or LF who can do the same. One of those guys might be Encarnacion-Strand or Alex McGarry (either of whom could play 1B while Votto DH's more often to ease his shoulder woes and give him more rest.)

I really believe any money spent should be on some quality pitchers. At least one starter, preferably two, and three late inning relievers, at least one of whom is a lefty.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by phlbilly View Post
    I just can’t see how Senzel could keep the cf job over Friedl next year. Friedl is a better hitter, a better fielder, and a better base runner.
    That's where I'm at. Can we just admit Friedl is way better than Senzel? Like, it's not a close call. Friedl's got legitimate sting in his bat. The defense, the wheels, the plate approach - it's all there. Friedl can help a baseball team. Meanwhile Senzel is a career negative value goofball. It would be nice of the Reds to grasp the obvious.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-06-2022),HokieRed (09-05-2022),Kingspoint (09-05-2022),Old school 1983 (09-05-2022),Revering4Blue (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Don’t see it myself, guy had 100 horrible PAs earlier this year too. I’m not slotting him at anything but a backup. This team needs better outfield play yes, don’t want to see two 27 year old ML players next year sharing 700 PAs

But that’s just me
    My take is unless they acquire three new OFs, then Friedl probably should be starting.

17. Likes:

Chip R (09-06-2022),Old school 1983 (09-05-2022),Revering4Blue (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's where I'm at. Can we just admit Friedl is way better than Senzel? Like, it's not a close call. Friedl's got legitimate sting in his bat. The defense, the wheels, the plate approach - it's all there. Friedl can help a baseball team. Meanwhile Senzel is a career negative value goofball. It would be nice of the Reds to grasp the obvious.
    Better than Senzel is a low bar.

Friedl can likely stick as a reserve but I’m not yet sold that he can be the strong side of a platoon.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-05-2022),757690 (09-05-2022),CaiGuy (09-05-2022),RiverRat13 (09-05-2022)

Beware of late season production from prospects. Half the teams aren’t competitive, trying out players, regulars injured, it’s not like games earlier in the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

My take is unless they acquire three new OFs, then Friedl probably should be starting.
    He's getting fat off bad pitching, he's killed the Nats, Rockies and Phillies. He has 50 PAs vs the Pirates with an OPS of .580 though. I'm sure he'll get his chance since the Reds are throwing everything against the wall, I just don't see him having impact

The Reds could easily sign 3 OF to minor league contracts that are better than Friedl this offseason.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Better than Senzel is a low bar.

Friedl can likely stick as a reserve but I’m not yet sold that he can be the strong side of a platoon.
    Sure, but you've got to start somewhere. Step #1 - stop punching yourself in the groin. Like, can Nick Senzel be over? Because he's terrible at baseball.

Friedl isn't going to be a star, but he's hit pretty much everywhere (had a weird AA season in 2019, but he's an .800 OPS guy since then). The Reds have 99 problems, but TJ Friedl ain't one. Just play him until you've got somebody better. That won't happen quickly.

24. Likes:

Chip R (09-06-2022),Kingspoint (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Beware of late season production from prospects. Half the teams aren’t competitive, trying out players, regulars injured, it’s not like games earlier in the season.
    I’ll be saying this till I’m blue in the face. Beware of the fools gold of September success. I’ve seen it happen countless times where the player gets exposed the following season. I get that people get excited and it’s not totally unwarranted. Just tap the brakes a bit on it.

But TJ is earning some consideration for next spring. Remember Aristides Aquino has ridden a hot 3 2019 weeks for a couple seasons now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?