Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can anyone unseat the Jaguars for #1 pick?

Can anyone unseat the Jaguars for #1 pick?

The Jaguars have had the #1 pick for 2 years in a row. But now there are rumblings that they might improve enough to move out of the cellar.

Candidates for #1 -

Jags - You have to beat the man to be the man. If Lawrence gets hurt it might still happen
    Texans - A lot of folks are saying Texans are the favorite. They have no faith in Davis Mills (or he gets hurt)
    Bears - I hear a lot of Bears talk. People doubting Fields.
    Atlanta - Tons of dead cap space, with Mariota as QB and a rookie as backup.
    Detroit - They have threatened Jags last couple years.

Places where things could go South

Seattle - Geno Smith as QB. Tanking for Stroud or Bryce?
    Carolina - If Mayfield isn't good or gets hurt..... look out.
    NY Football Giants - Daniel Jones as a lame duck QB
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can anyone unseat the Jaguars for #1 pick?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Jaguars have had the #1 pick for 2 years in a row. But now there are rumblings that they might improve enough to move out of the cellar.

Candidates for #1 -

Jags - You have to beat the man to be the man. If Lawrence gets hurt it might still happen
    Texans - A lot of folks are saying Texans are the favorite. They have no faith in Davis Mills (or he gets hurt)
    Bears - I hear a lot of Bears talk. People doubting Fields.
    Atlanta - Tons of dead cap space, with Mariota as QB and a rookie as backup.
    Detroit - They have threatened Jags last couple years.

Places where things could go South

Seattle - Geno Smith as QB. Tanking for Stroud or Bryce?
    Carolina - If Mayfield isn't good or gets hurt..... look out.
    NY Football Giants - Daniel Jones as a lame duck QB
    My money is on the Texans. Lame duck coach and QB and they are in for a multi year rebuild.

I also think if they get the first pick there is no guarantee they take a QB. I see four QBs with potential to go first round in CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Levis and Anthony Richardson but Will Anderson Jr could throw a wrench in the no 1 pick debate.

I think the Texans go Anderson, BPA with their next pick, then Caleb Williams or Quinn Ewers in 2024.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-06-2022),Revering4Blue (09-06-2022)

I think you'll see at least one typically good team come crashing down into the top 10 picks this season. My guess is it'll be the Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I think you'll see at least one typically good team come crashing down into the top 10 picks this season. My guess is it'll be the Saints.
    That would have to mean the Panthers or Falcons would have to improve, although playing the AFC North and NFC West could mean more losses across the board.

The Saints would be a worthy inclusion though without Payton and no stability at QB.

I’ll throw another team in the mix: Dallas. If they get off to a slow start Jerry could fire McCarthy to try to get a start on getting Sean Payton next offseason. They could easily be 0-2 opening against the Bucs and Bengals.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Seachickens
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Seachickens
    I eat a lot of Chicken of the Sea...

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I eat a lot of Chicken of the Sea...
    The original Chicken of the Sea Mermaid was the same actress who played Janice Rand in Star Trek.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-07-2022)

Well after 2 weeks how does this look? Right off the bat the Jags seemed the better team against Washington but found a way to lose, then shellacked the Colts. For now Jags are out. Lions have looked pretty solid. For now they are out too.

Candidates that are 0-2

Bengals? Nah.
    Raiders? Nah. Two close losses against good teams.
    Tennessee? Probably not but things are not looking good. Just lost their LT for the year. Tannehilll looking shaky and if they have to go to the rookie, he's considered the rawest out there. Raiders and Titans play today. One will be 0-3 !!
    Atlanta? They haven't looked too bad.
    Carolina? - Here's my early favorite. 2 close losses but they have the appearance of being in disarray

Winless teams. By benefit of their tie. Indy and Houston are winless but not 0-2. Both are still in the running. To me they seem teams heading in the opposite direction. Houston ascending, Indy descending. Indy and Titans both have a chance to be that "pretty good team that fell apart". And to me.....maybe because I just saw them, Indy more than Titans.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-25-2022 at 06:03 AM.

Well one week to go to see who gets the #1 pick. It's down to Houston and Chicago. Both among the 5 teams I mentioned as candidates. The Jags and Lions have ended up as pretty hot teams. Both with 8-8 records and with playoff chances. Atlanta the other team I mentioned, was mediocre going 6-10, with 1 win in last 6 games.

Teams where I mentioned it "might go south" - My apologies to Giants who started out the season 6-1 and then did just enough late in the season to get a playoff spot. Likewise to Seahawks who got off to 6-2 start. Carolina DID go south and fired the head coach, and had QB chaos all season, but Interim Coach Steve Wilkes did a good job making them a respectable team after a 1-6 start.

After 2 weeks I said "Indy and Titans both have a chance to be that "pretty good team that fell apart". And to me.....maybe because I just saw them, Indy more than Titans." Well Indy did fall apart. Appointed themselves King of QB Chaos, Coached fired, non-coach hired, lost the biggest lead in NFL history, and have stumbled into last game with 6 game losing streak.

And Titans have fallen apart at the end and have also fallen apart at the end losing 6 straight. Although they can still win the division with a win in last game of season.

To answer your question though ..

the Jaguars.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?