Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most 2000s Song

They call me "chef"

Most 2000s Song

The NYC scene that was the last true hurrah for mainstream rock music. The bittersweet feeling of unsettling melancholy creeping too early into your last real moments of naivety and innocence. The topical positive value of not being Arcade Fire. The satisfaction of denying the Strokes and Killers the honor.

This is my selection.

2. Likes:

M2 (09-09-2022),Redhook (09-12-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-08-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most 2000s Song

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post

The NYC scene that was the last true hurrah for mainstream rock music. The bittersweet feeling of unsettling melancholy creeping too early into your last real moments of naivety and innocence. The topical positive value of not being Arcade Fire. The satisfaction of denying the Strokes and Killers the honor.

This is my selection.
    This is a drop what I’m doing, turn the volume up to 50, and listen no matter what I am doing song to me. Top 10 song all time for me. Incredible. First time I heard it was just absolutely blown away and still am every time I hear it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Larry Schuler (09-09-2022)

My votes are for LCD Soundsystem - When someone great is gone
    And Of Montreal - Wraith pinned to the mist and other games
    Pop Songs about mortality. The bitter and the sweet.

A whole bunch of bubbles burst in the 2000s. Given that, I'm going with "Fake Empire".

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A whole bunch of bubbles burst in the 2000s. Given that, I'm going with "Fake Empire".

When addressing a non-mainstream audience, this would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post

This is my selection.
    Before they officially released "Maps" I saw the YYYs open for the Hives and they had one of the worst sets I've ever seen. Karen O was doing a poor Kathleen Hanna imitation and a fairly large crowd actively didn't care for anything they were doing. Then they closed with "Maps" and I turned to my sister (who was at the show with me) and asked "Wait, is this good?" Then we kept listening and we realized it was great, and we could not reconcile how the band we just saw put on a complete shambles could have a song that great. The whole place basically stopped and then cheered like crazy at the end of the song. I'm not sure they got more than a few polite claps for anything else in their set before it.

Turns out they were just mid-transition on their way to being a much better band.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-09-2022)

I'm Mr Brightside - Killers

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

12. Likes:

Redhook (09-12-2022),Revering4Blue (09-09-2022),RichRed (09-10-2022)

"Maps" might be my favorite song. It's top 5-10 at the least.

"Mr November" might be my National pick for 2000s, but "Fake Empire" is also very 2000s.

Most 2000s for me because it really perfectly captures the pretentious twee indie rock of that decade:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Before they officially released "Maps" I saw the YYYs open for the Hives and they had one of the worst sets I've ever seen. Karen O was doing a poor Kathleen Hanna imitation and a fairly large crowd actively didn't care for anything they were doing. Then they closed with "Maps" and I turned to my sister (who was at the show with me) and asked "Wait, is this good?" Then we kept listening and we realized it was great, and we could not reconcile how the band we just saw put on a complete shambles could have a song that great. The whole place basically stopped and then cheered like crazy at the end of the song. I'm not sure they got more than a few polite claps for anything else in their set before it.

Turns out they were just mid-transition on their way to being a much better band.
    Ha, this reminds me of seeing John Mayer open for The Wallflowers in like 2000 or something. Halfway through his set I turned to my friend and said "I dont really like this music, but this guy is going to be huge"

15. Likes:

M2 (09-10-2022)

Worst decade for popular music, bar none. But I’ll go with Gucci Mane “Lemonade.” It was the decade of trap.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-12-2022),texasdave (09-13-2022),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2022)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Most 2000s Song

Times Like These - Foo Fighters

It’s Been Awhile - Staind

No One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-09-2022 at 05:08 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

19. Likes:

Redhook (09-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Song 2 - Blur

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Most 2000s Song

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You’re right. Don’t know why, but I misremembered Song 2 as early ‘07. Oh, well.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The winner for the general population and I don’t think it is much of a contest…

My nomination:

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-12-2022),Betterread (09-09-2022),M2 (09-10-2022),Redhook (09-12-2022),Redsfaithful (09-12-2022),Revering4Blue (09-09-2022),RichRed (09-10-2022),ShyGuy (09-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    You’re right. Don’t know why, but I misremembered Song 2 as early ‘07. Oh, well.

Only reason I knew is because it was in the trailer for the movie Starship Troopers, which came out when I was in junior high!

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-09-2022),RiverRat13 (09-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?