Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno has the 23rd-best WAR of any batter in MLB (4.5)

Re: Geno has the 23rd-best WAR of any batter in MLB (4.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In today’s game, you make a mistake in hindsight, like dumping Geno, you can easily remedy it. Spend some money and sign another power hitter.

Or else, you feel the pain for awhile.
    Makes sense...but how often do the Reds do that?

2. Likes:

wlf WV (10-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Geno S. (Smith and Suarez) is very popular in Seattle right now.

Saurez' smile should be worth 2.0+ WAR.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-14-2022),wlf WV (10-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    135 wRC+/ 133 OPS+

Seattle is really hard to hit in.
    Adrian Beltre, who is going to Cooperstown, played five years for the Mariners and averaged a .759 OPS during those seasons. That park is brutal on bats.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-14-2022),LeatherPants (09-14-2022),membengal (09-18-2022),Revering4Blue (09-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He wasn't a throw in. He was a salary dump
    true, that's what i meant. salary dump is more accurate. either way, the reds couldn't wait to get rid of a guy who is obviously still a very good player. and seattle thought the stud they were getting was winker. funny game.

On the other hand, things not looking so rosy for Winker. This was a mailbox question posted in The Athletic

How is it possible to justify Jesse Winker starting when Sam Haggerty is significantly better offensively, defensively and at base running? Winker is a great guy but as Servais always says, this is a production league. — Mark H.
    .685 OPS for Winker right now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    On the other hand, things not looking so rosy for Winker. This was a mailbox question posted in The Athletic

All walks too

He and Max Muncy

What's amazing is that is good enough for a 102 OPS+, so he's been about average. Offense is down all over.

Because Haggerty is a Rookie (basically, with only 148 PA's of MLB experience coming into this season, while OPS'-ing .538 last year and .715 the year before).

Winker is coming off of a 1.000+ OPS season and changing leagues. Winker also leads the league in Walks (has actually been passed recently by Judge and Bregman).

Haggerty gets plenty of opportunity.

They are not the least concerned about the prospects of Winker turning things around. Winker is there for the long-term.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-14-2022 at 11:34 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because Haggerty is a Rookie (basically, with only 148 PA's of MLB experience coming into this season, while OPS'-ing .538 last year and .715 the year before).

Winker is coming off of a 1.000+ OPS season and changing leagues. Winker also leads the league in Walks (has actually been passed recently by Judge and Bregman).

Haggerty gets plenty of opportunity.

They are not the least concerned about the prospects of Winker turning things around. Winker is there for the long-term.
    why would they not be concerned about winker? and long-term? he's only under team control for one more year. they're going to sign him long-term?

geno hit another HR last night (31). his 15 HRs since the start of august are tied for the most in MLB with judge.

Geno is on fire. I’m happy for the guy. Seems like a great dude who loves playing baseball.

15. Likes:

wlf WV (10-11-2022)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

And the return..

It didn't look great the day it was made, but unlike most wine, it's gotten significantly worse with age.

I liked Dunn, thought he'd be a good addition if healthy. I'm not sure if he's healthy or not, but he's been terrifying.

Fraley? Meh. He's going to be on the team next year. 120 OPS+ in 160 at-bats this season.

Williamson was supposed to be the jewel, and he's been awful this year. He's walking 5.5 batters per 9. 4.21 ERA, 1.54 WHIP. And he's 24 years old - not some green 19/20 year old who flashes but has work to do.

Even with Winker's disappearing act, the Reds lost this trade. They lose most trades, and consequently lose most ballgames.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (09-21-2022),wlf WV (10-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    And the return..

It didn't look great the day it was made, but unlike most wine, it's gotten significantly worse with age.

I liked Dunn, thought he'd be a good addition if healthy. I'm not sure if he's healthy or not, but he's been terrifying.

Fraley? Meh. He's going to be on the team next year. 120 OPS+ in 160 at-bats this season.

Williamson was supposed to be the jewel, and he's been awful this year. He's walking 5.5 batters per 9. 4.21 ERA, 1.54 WHIP. And he's 24 years old - not some green 19/20 year old who flashes but has work to do.

Even with Winker's disappearing act, the Reds lost this trade. They lose most trades, and consequently lose most ballgames.
    Well…that’s a take. Dunn’s coming back from injury. I never expected him to catch the world on fire, but I’m betting he’s better than he’s played this year. I’d give him a little more rope.

Fraley….have you even been watching since he’s returned?
    OPS
    July:1.571
    August: .891
    September:.994

How is that meh?

Williamson has disappointed. But prospect development isn’t always linear. I’m not writing him off. But he may very well end up in the pen.

I guess Phillips doesn’t exist?

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    why would they not be concerned about winker? and long-term? he's only under team control for one more year. they're going to sign him long-term?

geno hit another HR last night (31). his 15 HRs since the start of august are tied for the most in MLB with judge.
    DaWink is slugging under .300 at Safeco and 120 points for the year below last season. He's only inked for the next year and I would not be surprised to see them both decide to move on if it continues. Especially Winker who will see his one bankable skill take a big hit by playing in Safeco

21. Likes:

JFLegal (09-15-2022),Old school 1983 (09-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He wasn't a throw in. He was a salary dump
    Yeah this is the most painful part of the whole fiasco. Adding him into the deal actually lowered the return for Winker. The thing is he looked back to normal in September last year and I stated at the time they should have held on to him at least this year. 5 win 3B don’t grow on trees.

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-15-2022),REDREAD (09-21-2022)

Who here had Suarez having a career year in terms of WAR this year? I’m guess the total is a very circular number between -1 and 1. Of the he will bounce back guys, I think MIB was the only poster who quantified his remarks and he was around 2.5 WAR if I recall correctly.

Point being, no one saw this big of a rebound coming in terms of WAR. If they did, they were awfully shy about it or hedged by being vague.

Suarez deserves all the credit in the world for turning it around, but the Reds don’t deserve a lot of angst for moving on. I doubt there was anyone who reasonably saw a career type year in terms of WAR coming for Suarez.

25. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-16-2022)

Turn Off Ads?