Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno has the 23rd-best WAR of any batter in MLB (4.5)

Re: Geno has the 23rd-best WAR of any batter in MLB (4.5)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You know what’s crazy (Other than FCB showing up here to smack talk the Reds return) is that the Reds have scored more runs than the Mariners
    And if they had kept him instead of trading him for a Lunchable and a pack of Kools they’d have had a serious trade deadline piece to acquire actual talent. Gotta know when to pull the trigger.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-21-2022),wlf WV (10-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

You know what’s crazy (Other than FCB showing up here to smack talk the Reds return) is that the Reds have scored more runs than the Mariners
    That's all down to ballpark though. The Mariners have a 105 OPS+ while the Reds are languishing down at 86.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

membengal (09-18-2022),REDREAD (09-21-2022),wlf WV (10-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's all down to ballpark though. The Mariners have a 105 OPS+ while the Reds are languishing down at 86.
    I think ballpark effects are overrated. The math is probably correct, but the logic and reasoning is faulty, imo.

Good hitters figure out how to best hit in their home ballpark, good teams figure out how to build an offense that maximizes their home ballpark.

Looks at Geno and Winker. Winker seems to have let the Mariner’s park effect him, Geno has found a way to thrive in it.

The Reds should not be penalized because they found hitters who fit their ballpark, and the Mariners shouldn’t be rewarded because they didn’t.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Shh don’t ruin my lead

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    And if they had kept him instead of trading him for a Lunchable and a pack of Kools they’d have had a serious trade deadline piece to acquire actual talent. Gotta know when to pull the trigger.
    Yep, a fine example of ownership getting too involved

If one is to criticize the Reds for not predicting Geno’s rise, they need to be congratulated for predicting Winker’s demise.

Basically, the trade has worked out production wise overall the way the Mariners figured it would, but with Geno putting up what they expected from Winker and Winker putting up what they expected from Geno.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think ballpark effects are overrated. The math is probably correct, but the logic and reasoning is faulty, imo.

Good hitters figure out how to best hit in their home ballpark, good teams figure out how to build an offense that maximizes their home ballpark.

Looks at Geno and Winker. Winker seems to have let the Mariner’s park effect him, Geno has found a way to thrive in it.

The Reds should not be penalized because they found hitters who fit their ballpark, and the Mariners shouldn’t be rewarded because they didn’t.
    No, it matters. Think about air, foul area, opponents tailored to support that atmosphere etc..

Park effects exist and they vary based on weather, time of year and the nuances of particular parks.

In essence it’s the most interesting thing about MLB, it allows playing fields and atmospheric conditions to affect the manner the game is approached

It’s beautiful

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Lol ok.
    I know you’re determined to view every prospect the Reds acquired recently as a future scrub, but he did in fact have a very good deadline and shrewd draft orchestrating a player like Collier falling to the Reds. He cashed in as well as anyone could’ve hoped for Castillo, he added Steer and Encarnacion-Strand to the org for a busted Tyler Mahle. “Lol ok” indeed.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-15-2022),Redhook (09-15-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-17-2022)

If one is to criticize the Reds for not predicting Geno’s rise, they need to be congratulated for predicting Winker’s demise.

Basically, the trade has worked out production wise overall the way the Mariners figured it would, but with Geno putting up what they expected from Winker and Winker putting up what they expected from Geno.
    Winker would have posted normal career numbers in GAB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know you’re determined to view every prospect the Reds acquired recently as a future scrub, but he did in fact have a very good deadline and shrewd draft orchestrating a player like Collier falling to the Reds. He cashed in as well as anyone could’ve hoped for Castillo, he added Steer and Encarnacion-Strand to the org for a busted Tyler Mahle. “Lol ok” indeed.
    He had a glut of talent to deal the last ten months. Wow. He didn’t get utterly porked in every one of those deals. Impressive.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

15. Likes:

REDREAD (09-21-2022)

No, it matters. Think about air, foul area, opponents tailored to support that atmosphere etc..

Park effects exist and they vary based on weather, time of year and the nuances of particular parks.

In essence it’s the most interesting thing about MLB, it allows playing fields and atmospheric conditions to affect the manner the game is approached

It’s beautiful
    i agree with all of this. What I disagree with is saying that if a player had been playing in X ballpark instead of Y ballpark, we know what his production would be. Hitters adjust to the ballpark, at least good ones do.

17. Likes:

westofyou (09-15-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Winker would have posted normal career numbers in GAB.

- - - Updated - - -

He had a glut of talent to deal the last ten months. Wow. He didn’t get utterly porked in every one of those deals. Impressive.
    Predictable and boring response.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Predictable and boring response.
    And yet, true. Krall’s scorecard is still waaaay in the red. It beggars belief to argue otherwise. I’ve never seen this organization this talent-poor. Even in the aughts they had Dunn.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-21-2022)

And yet, true. Krall’s scorecard is still waaaay in the red. It beggars belief to argue otherwise. I’ve never seen this organization this talent-poor. Even in the aughts they had Dunn.
    No offense, but I'm sure your finger on the pulse of baseball talent is low right now

- - - Updated - - -

i agree with all of this. What I disagree with is saying that if a player had been playing in X ballpark instead of Y ballpark, we know what his production would be. Hitters adjust to the ballpark, at least good ones do.
    It works sometimes (Paul O'Neil Yankees) other times not so much

Shh don’t ruin my lead
    *lede

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    *lede
    Yep, but F'ing autocorrect keeps changing it

Turn Off Ads?