Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arizona Fall League

Arizona Fall League

From Bobby Nightengale:

[Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Reds announce they are sending position players prospects Matt McLain, Noelvi Marte and Rece Hinds to the Arizona Fall League.

Christian Roa, Sam Benschoter, Vin Timpanelli and Jake Gozzo will pitch there.
    I'm shocked McLain's playing, especially considering that he's just played nearly an entire season, his first in professional baseball.

I'm pleasantly pleased Noelvi Marte joined him-- and totally support the idea that Rece Hinds joins them offensively.

Reading between the tea leaves, does anyone else believe this presages new defensive homes for both McLain (CF) and Marte (3B?)? It certainly allows both to be bumped next year-- McLain to the major leagues on Opening Day and Marte to AA for a short stint then onto Louisville. (Hinds too, fwiw, in RF.)

That's the impetus, IMO, for Roa as well. He's been dominant in AA; if he can continue that dominance in the AFL, he might be the favorite to break camp with the Reds as their 5th SP (behind Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, and Overton/ Williamson/ free agent). It gives Benschoter a real shot at AA next year too.

Timpanelli and Gozzo are depth guys at this point, but could be interesting middle relief options.

The entire group is super high end. Perhaps the most talented the Reds have offered since... ever?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arizona Fall League

McClain hasn't played in AAA yet, and wasn't terribly consistent in AA this year. I'd imagine he'll get some time in Louisville before being promoted to Cincinnati.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-16-2022),icehole3 (09-17-2022),Mitri (09-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    McClain hasn't played in AAA yet, and wasn't terribly consistent in AA this year. I'd imagine he'll get some time in Louisville before being promoted to Cincinnati.
    I think this move shows the Reds want to separate McLain and EDLC a bit-- and they want to push McLain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think this move shows the Reds want to separate McLain and EDLC a bit-- and they want to push McLain.
    I get that, but if as you suggest the plan is to move MM to center field, than time in AAA would be pretty important.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-16-2022)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Timpanelli and Gozzo are both former position players converting to pitching, right? Wonder how that plays in to the decision to send them to AFL?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

That and both were injured for some of the season as well, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure I remember both being mentioned as high spin rate guys too.

The new defensive homes may be even more extensive. McClain to 2b, India to 3b, Steer to the OF, CES to 1b, EDLC or Marte to SS. Friedl in some ways is the key player. Can he play CF? Can one of the other candidates actually play it significantly better than he can?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    The new defensive homes may be even more extensive.
    With the changes to the rules and his defensive struggles this season, I see the reasoning behind moving Jonathan India back to 3B. I'd guess he could be a very good (perhaps near Gold Glove) level defender at that position. That said, he'd almost assuredly provide less value at that position than at 2B. Too, Noelvi Marte, Cam Collier, Elly De La Cruz, and Spencer Steer all profile as solid to better 3B and are in the Red top 10 prospect lists. If they plan on keeping India long term, it's an odd move to me.

I'd like to see at least one of Marte or McLain moved to CF. While Mike Siani is a middling prospect, no one would suggest he's the end-all, be-all. Both Marte and McLain could provide immediate help offensively while also playing the position well enough to be adequate. (Both have speed enough for the spot and solid to above average arm strength.) The dearth of CF options across the game would seem to argue for putting top prospects in the position.

Friedl, like Siani, is (to me) a placeholder. He likely provides some value. But he's not the type of guy you put out there and leave for half a decade. At least he shouldn't be. He's the type you ride for a couple of years, then deal for more help. (Siani too, for that matter.)

Are we thinking Marte sees Cincinnati next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Are we thinking Marte sees Cincinnati next season?
    I doubt it. Unless he goes nuclear, I mean.

In 2023, the Reds will probably have to find 2B/ 3B/ SS/ CF PAs for McLain, CES, Steer, India, Siani, Friedl, Farmer, Senzel, Alejo Lopez, Fairchild, and Barrero. That assumes no free agents and guys like TJ Hopkins playing only corner OF. It also assumes fringe prospects (Brian Rey, Ivan Johnson, Allan Cerda, and Francisco Urbaez, among others) are also ignored.

Too many options ahead of him, I think, for 2023.

Now 2024?

That's much more likely.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-17-2022)

You guys think McClain is major league ready? He’s pretty average in AA right now. I think he has to clean up his lack of contact issues and find an appropriate defensive position before he’s ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    You guys think McClain is major league ready?
    No, but I think he'll probably be ready soon into 2023. I'm guessing Memorial Day, if Barrero, Friedl, Siani, Moustakas, or Fairchild struggle.

If Siani continues to OPS in the .750 range as he moves up in competition he's a perfectly fine starting CF IMO. He's the best defensive CF in the Reds organization and he stole 50 bases this year. He's a guy who could get the GABP bump in power as well. With the way Barrero has looked it's likely Elly will be left at SS, and I'd rather put a plus defender in CF than some converted IF that might not be terrible out there ala Senzel.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    If Siani continues to OPS in the .750 range as he moves up in competition he's a perfectly fine starting CF IMO. He's the best defensive CF in the Reds organization and he stole 50 bases this year. He's a guy who could get the GABP bump in power as well. With the way Barrero has looked it's likely Elly will be left at SS, and I'd rather put a plus defender in CF than some converted IF that might not be terrible out there ala Senzel.
    I've been on the Siani bandwagon through thick and thin. I think CF defense is under rated due to the small outfield in GABP. I think he has an outside chance to join the Reds next year.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-19-2022)

Turn Off Ads?