Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rule 5 Guys?

Rule 5 Guys?

I'm unsure if this is correct information, but there doesn't seem to be any resource on the web to check.

The Rule 5 draft rules are byzantine at the best of times-- parent clubs are required to protect prospects after four years for some (college-aged guys) and five years for others (high school, largely). If that's correct, that means the 2018 college draft class and the 2017 international singing and HS draft classes are in play this year. For the Reds, I think that means they'll have to make decisions on Allan Cerda, Daniel Vellojin, Brian Rey, Mike Byrne, and Drew Mount.

Anyone know if that's correct?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rule 5 Guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm unsure if this is correct information, but there doesn't seem to be any resource on the web to check.

The Rule 5 draft rules are byzantine at the best of times-- parent clubs are required to protect prospects after four years for some (college-aged guys) and five years for others (high school, largely). If that's correct, that means the 2018 college draft class and the 2017 international singing and HS draft classes are in play this year. For the Reds, I think that means they'll have to make decisions on Allan Cerda, Daniel Vellojin, Brian Rey, Mike Byrne, and Drew Mount.

Anyone know if that's correct?
    Sounds correct. Its based on when they signed and not when they started playing. De la Cruz needs to be protected this year even though he didn't play until later.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This is an excellent link for the Reds organization on the status of players. There is a minor league section about halfway down. Rule 5 guys for 2023 either have a Red 'R5'. or Dec '22 listed. I believe that is correct.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-res...th-charts/reds

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-18-2022),camisadelgolf (09-18-2022),WrongVerb (09-17-2022)

Thanks for that, dave.

Here are the others that might be an issue:

Lorenzo Cedrola CF
    Isiah Gilliam OF/ DH
    Drew Mount OF
    Brian Rey 2B/ OF
    Mike Siani CF
    TJ Hopkins OF
    Daniel Vellojin C
    James Free C/1B/OF
    Nick Quintana 2B/ 3B
    Elly De La Cruz SS/ 3B
    Ivan Johnson 3B/ SS/ 2B
    Michel Triana 1B
    Noelvi Marte SS

Brandon Williamson
    Levi Stoudt
    Michael Byrne
    Eddie Demurias
    Lyon Richardson
    Evan Kravetz
    Louis Mey
    Tanner Cooper

I'd argue Hopkins, Siani, De La Cruz, Williamson, Stoudt, and Marte are no-brainers. Richardson and Vellojin are pretty obviously decent enough prospects to be protected as well.

On the offensive side, Drew Mount and James Free are interesting toss-ups. Mount was solid before getting hurt last year in the AFL-- he could be hidden and provide some depth to an erudite team in search of some easy pop. He can play all three OF positions. He's also LH. I'd lean toward not protecting him, since the Reds have a dearth of actual talent in the upper levels of the system right now.

Ivan Johnson is the third tough call, IMO. He's been largely hurt this year, his most important in professional baseball. I thought he might get a return trip to the AFL due to those injuries, but no such luck. Last year, he hit very well in Arizona after showing an 800 OPS bat from the middle infield during the season. This year, he's been more of a 750 OPS bat in sporadic playing time. I suspect he'd be a solid 40-man roster break-glass-in-case-of-emergency guy as a utility guy around the infield. But others might argue his K rate is problematic-- they'd argue Brandon Dixon clone. And I could see that, honestly. YMMV. What do you think, RedsZone?

Free's had a solid season for a catcher. He has some pop, and he's a switch hitter. Not sure about his defensive reputation. I'd likely push on Free, but it's not like he's any worse than Chuckie Robinson, Aramis Garcia, or the other options the Reds have trotted out this year as backup catchers.

Among the pitchers, there might be a suprise or two. Luis Mey and Evan Kravetz are interesting cases. Both have monster stuff and very little idea of what to do with it. Mey, out of all the Red prospects, reminds me the most of Alexis Diaz. Kravetz has a superior slider-- but neither has been successful at all in the minor leagues. I'm guessing the Reds will pass on protecting either of them, but an enterprising team with a good development process might make both of them really, really good relief arms.

Turn Off Ads?