Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

Looks like One and Done is coming to an end:

NBA reportedly expects to lower draft eligibility age to 18

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...ibilty-age-18/

Between this and the G-League route the talent in college basketball will be a lot worse but overall it will be good for the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-19-2022),Chip R (09-19-2022),cumberlandreds (09-19-2022),Kingspoint (11-08-2022),RedTeamGo! (09-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

nm

I think its better for the sport too. Most people only watch for the NCAA tournament anyway. They don't care at that point what players are playing. They just want their team(S) to win to advance in the pool. Only niche areas are really into the sport like Kentucky, Indiana etc.... I will like it better in that UK may not have a totally new team every year. Maybe most will stick around for 3 or 4 years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I guess that means Lebron James gets to retire a year earlier than he expected as Bronny won't have to spend a year in college.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like One and Done is coming to an end:

NBA reportedly expects to lower draft eligibility age to 18

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...ibilty-age-18/

Between this and the G-League route the talent in college basketball will be a lot worse but overall it will be good for the sport.
    I really wish the NBA would adopt the MLB rule.

8. Likes:

Chip R (09-21-2022),Revering4Blue (09-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think its better for the sport too. Most people only watch for the NCAA tournament anyway. They don't care at that point what players are playing. They just want their team(S) to win to advance in the pool. Only niche areas are really into the sport like Kentucky, Indiana etc.... I will like it better in that UK may not have a totally new team every year. Maybe most will stick around for 3 or 4 years.
    I would agree with this except NIL and the transfer portal has eliminated the possibility of any of it happening.

With NIL there might not be as big a jump to the NBA straight out of high school either.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

Chip R (09-21-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I really want to see a 30/30 on this kid.

Next LeBron/Zion Williamson sure thing to transferring back to a lower level college and then get arrested.

He has the OJ Mayo vibe if there ever was one.

Very interesting add by WVU/Huggins very late in the process.....Manhattan transfer Jose Perez who was the MAAC Preseason POY going into this season (Coach @ Manhatten was recently terminated). Snagged him as a walk-on (with NIL backing I am sure). Officially he will not be available until January, but the waiver has been submitted for immediate eligibility.

https://247sports.com/college/west-v...tal-196500552/

Still not sure of this teams ceiling, but after watching the recent scrimmage against Bowling Green, it appears clear this team is more of a Huggins type roster than we have seen since the Jevon Carter era. Loaded with guards of different sizes and athleticism along with several big bodies to pull down boards. Also, similar to most Huggins rosters, do not see a lot of above average perimeter shooting.....mostly defensive minded perimeter players. Very solid athleticism across all positions. Definitely expect to see more of Press Virginia than we have seen in recent years. Again, still no idea if they are a Big12 contender or even a tournament bid contender.....need to see more against better competition.

Btw, Huggins appears to have did a 180 degree turn with his portal opinion. He may not admit it yet, but he seems to love being able to go get his type of guys with experience. Now the question is can his kind of guys win a lot of games in 2022-23?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I really hope this does not happen.....not a smart direction for a conference that is trying to hold onto relevancy in a changing environment driven by football.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

If Gonzaga moves, they really belong in the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If Gonzaga moves, they really belong in the Big East.
    Geographically they don't. Travel costs would be a nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Geographically they don't. Travel costs would be a nightmare
    In 2023 with private jets it wouldn't be that big a deal. Travel would be easier for Gonzaga than most sports in the Missouri Valley getting on buses. But I don't necessarily think Gonzaga should change conferences. Just that if they do, they'd fit in the Big East much better than in the Big XII.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    In 2023 with private jets it wouldn't be that big a deal. Travel would be easier for Gonzaga than most sports in the Missouri Valley getting on buses. But I don't necessarily think Gonzaga should change conferences. Just that if they do, they'd fit in the Big East much better than in the Big XII.
    It's more the travel time. Part of the big push against the USC/UCLA move to the Big 10 is the amount of time student athletes are going to be in planes, crossing time zones (in all sports) and what affect that has on their lives as students. Additionally Gonzaga is tucked up in an area that is even a little further away. Plus, is depending on "Private Jets"
    an affordable path for a small Jesuit school?

Turn Off Ads?