Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

Figured we needed an offseason thread with the season ending tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

Draft a WR early and take a bunch of OL and DBs rest of the draft.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

This team needs a legit pass rusher. If you look at the other 3 teams in the conference championship, they all had a great pass rush. That was the ultimate decider in last year’s Super Bowl as well. Statistically, the bengals were in the bottom third in team pass rush all year. They don’t consistently get pressure on the QB. That’s a hole that needs to be filled somehow.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-30-2023),Redsfan6272 (01-30-2023),Revering4Blue (01-30-2023),RiverRat13 (01-29-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-30-2023),WVRed (01-30-2023)

If Ossai is hurt, they may need 2 D-linemen, to go with 1-2 O-linemen, some DBs, perhaps another RB and/or WR, if they make any cap cuts.

‘Its a lot of holes to fill with few draft picks

I think most teams would look hard at cutting both Mixon and Boyd. I doubt the Bengals cut either.

They have to bring Bell back. No way they can roll out two new safeties. Pratt is probably gone and they extend Wilson at LB.

Tee is the biggest question. Even with a Burrow extension they will have two more cheap years at QB. They could simply hold on to Tee, franchise him in ‘24 and then let him walk. They could extend him, but now that would be a lot of resources on offense. Or they could trade him this year. I’m guessing they go with the first option.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I think most teams would look hard at cutting both Mixon and Boyd. I doubt the Bengals cut either.

They have to bring Bell back. No way they can roll out two new safeties. Pratt is probably gone and they extend Wilson at LB.

Tee is the biggest question. Even with a Burrow extension they will have two more cheap years at QB. They could simply hold on to Tee, franchise him in ‘24 and then let him walk. They could extend him, but now that would be a lot of resources on offense. Or they could trade him this year. I’m guessing they go with the first option.
    I think they keep Boyd huge loss tonight when he went down Irwin was not the answer...I could see Mixon cut or restructure coming.

Pratt walks...they have Davis Gaither who they like...and Pratt will and should command top dollar.
    Bates walks as he wants top dollar as a safety.
    Bell I would think they would resign just based on his leadership and overall play the past 3 years.

I could see a tackle and edge rusher in the draft guard around 4th round...maybe a running back if one falls that they like. Corner for depth perhaps. Deep draft for edge rushers and corners.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Draft a WR early and take a bunch of OL and DBs rest of the draft.
    I think they could get a capable WR in the middle rounds. Germaine Pratt who I definitely think is gone now after his outburst last night is a FA and there are holes all over the defense. Depth overall just needs addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This team needs a legit pass rusher. If you look at the other 3 teams in the conference championship, they all had a great pass rush. That was the ultimate decider in last year’s Super Bowl as well. Statistically, the bengals were in the bottom third in team pass rush all year. They don’t consistently get pressure on the QB. That’s a hole that needs to be filled somehow.
    I was kinda hoping they would have given up their first to Denver for Bradley Chubb but I don’t think they could have signed him long term.

To roughly quote Buffalos GM, “You don’t want to suck bad enough to draft a Myles Garrett”. Hubbard and Hendrickson are solid but there’s no Joe Burrow on defense.

Drafting one as late as the Bengals are picking is such a crapshoot. You might end up with TJ Watt or a rotational player. I don’t know what the answer is to getting one.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

For the love of all things holy, please do not let Eli Apple be in a bengals uniform next season.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

12. Likes:

wally post (01-31-2023)

Name:  8500ACEB-17F9-488D-9213-84181A01416E.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  268.3 KB

I’m sorry this might be too soon but I thought this was kind of funny
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They also need an upgrade at punter.

15. Likes:

redsfanmia (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post

I would cut Boyd and Mixon and draft a WR in one of the first 3 rounds and a RB around there too. I'd rather pay Pratt than Boyd. Or if not Pratt, save that money for Higgins. He's more valuable than Boyd and Mixon combined IMO.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I would cut Boyd and Mixon and draft a WR in one of the first 3 rounds and a RB around there too. I'd rather pay Pratt than Boyd. Or if not Pratt, save that money for Higgins. He's more valuable than Boyd and Mixon combined IMO.
    After Taylor’s comments after the game and some of the other players (BJ Hill) I don’t know if you can let Pratt back into the locker room.

Pratt was great this year but they can't afford to pay two linebackers. I will guess they pay Wilson. Have to hope ADG is ready to take Pratt's place. Linebacker play is notoriously fickle outside of the truly elite.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023)

Pratt was already gone - Goodberry thinks he's going to get something like 4 years, $60 million somewhere.

That's where the outburst came from, Pratt knew this was his last chance on a stacked Bengals team.

I did some reading this morning and the Bengals are in way better shape with the cap than most outsiders commenting seem to realize. There's a narrative that the Bengals have to blow this up because they are paying Burrow and I don't know where it's coming from.

Burrow's new deal, whenever he signs, isn't going to hurt until 2025+, they control Higgins for two more years if they want (would need to use the franchise tag), Boyd is signed through next year, and they can create cap room if they want by doing something with Mixon, either cutting or restructuring. He's their third biggest 2023 cap hit currently.

Some of the guys they are about to lose aren't going to come back not because the Bengals don't have cap room but because they probably should be allocating the resources differently.

I just want upgrades on both lines, secondary help, and a new punter. Hoping Awuzie can come back full strength.

I'm wondering if Jonah couldn't move to RT if they think Carman could play LT. I'd rather have Carman be tackle depth, but that could be a way to handle. If Collins comes back at some point in the season then you just have more depth.

I don't think this will be a popular opinion, but - to some extent - I don't want to see BPA in the first round going forward. With a QB coming off his rookie deal soon I think they need to focus on filling expensive positions there, like offensive tackle, pass rush, receivers, corners.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023),membengal (01-30-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    After Taylor’s comments after the game and some of the other players (BJ Hill) I don’t know if you can let Pratt back into the locker room.
    Pratt wasn't coming back...you are not going to pay both Wilson and Pratt top dollar. Pratt did not like being only a 2 down LB as well I would think he will pursue a contract and role where he will be a 3 down LB. I would estimate he will cost around 15 million per season to keep.

He did apologize on twitter got caught up in the emotions which is understandable said he wasn't a good teammate and would be open to coming back.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 01-30-2023 at 02:20 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?