Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    And now Shaka is doing well at Marquette. Maybe Texas is the problem.
    I think Shaka bit off more than he could chew when he took the Texas job. And I expect him to flourish at Marquette.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How'd that work out for them?
    Well, they are 7-1 and ranked 7th in country. Beard is a really good coach. Sounds like he is about to be out of a job, but he’s a good bball coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Three NCAA tourney wins in seven years - Barnes’s last seven seasons as Longhorns coach = indefensible underachievement, no getting around it. And the argument presented by some that Texas is a Football first school doesn’t fly. It is clearly a Top 20 hoops job.

Having said that, Sea Ray has a valid point. If you fire a proven winner of a coach to gamble on the next up-and-comer - Shaka Smart, in this case - you’d best get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just to be clear: didn’t say SR didn’t have a valid point, but that is why they moved on from Barnes. When you can’t win with Kevin Durant something is wrong.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well, they are 7-1 and ranked 7th in country. Beard is a really good coach. Sounds like he is about to be out of a job, but he’s a good bball coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear: didn’t say SR didn’t have a valid point, but that is why they moved on from Barnes. When you can’t win with Kevin Durant something is wrong.
    He's not a very good coach if he commits felonies and can't be on the sideline. As for Kevin Durant, I'm not an NBA guy but isn't it true that he couldn't win championships 'till he joined a championship team, Steph Curry & Golden State?

He's not a very good coach if he commits felonies and can't be on the sideline. As for Kevin Durant, I'm not an NBA guy but isn't it true that he couldn't win championships 'till he joined a championship team, Steph Curry & Golden State?
    I’m not even referring to winning it all with durant. IIRC Barnes didn’t even make it out of the opening weekend with him.

As for Beard. Being a bad person = bad coach? Interesting take, I bet you’re very consistent with that one.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Presumably this is his wife. What an awful situation for her. He beats her and then she loses her income.

Maybe they can fire him with cause but let the wife have her half of the severance.

I guess he's not married, so nevermind. He just gets fired.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 12-12-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’m not even referring to winning it all with durant. IIRC Barnes didn’t even make it out of the opening weekend with him.

As for Beard. Being a bad person = bad coach? Interesting take, I bet you’re very consistent with that one.
    You're missing my point on Beard. My point is, regardless of how good a coach you are, you're not worth a darn if you aren't allowed to be on the sideline. An analogy would be for players...regardless of how talented you are, you aren't worth a darn if you're injured or suspended all the time. If (big if) Beard is found guilty of a felony, it doesn't matter what kind of coach he is. He'll be fired

Your point with Barnes is not wrong. His teams have not fared well in the tournament. No question about that

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-12-2022)

Tennessee in a dogfight in the desert...tied at halftime vs Arizona

WVU should finally get ranked next week......overdue in my bias opinion. #9 in the NET, #12 in Torvik, slipped to #23 in Kenpom for some reason, was #16 on Monday. Still have no real feeling for how they will do in Big12 play....fairly confident they can go .500 at a minimum in conference play which would get them into the NCAA tournament, but hoping they can do much better or even contend in the Big12.

Also been watching the local guys at UCF, and they are very solid this year. Have three losses on the year, but only one was a bad loss which was a 2OT loss in the opener to UNC Ashville. The other 2 losses was by 2 points each to a very solid Miami and Mizzou (Mizzou is currently beating #16 Illinois by 35 points with 12 minutes left in the game). Mizzou hit a 35 foot prayer at the buzzer to beat UCF. So all three losses are by a combined 7 points, and they have a few decent wins including FSU, OK State and Ole Miss. They may be the 3rd best team in the AAC behind Houston and Memphis which would likely get them into the NCAA tournament. They have a nice Freshman....Taylor Hendricks....if you have not heard about him, you will soon!
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

What's up with this?

Central Michigan 63
    Michigan 61

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-30-2022)

What's up with this?

Central Michigan 63
    Michigan 61
    Central Michigan has struggled with injuries throughout its non-conference schedule and played its eighth game without preseason All-Mid-American Conference point guard Kevin Miller. The victory was the team's first in seven games against a Division I opponent without its leading scorer.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...29_CMICH@MICH/

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Central Michigan has struggled with injuries throughout its non-conference schedule and played its eighth game without preseason All-Mid-American Conference point guard Kevin Miller. The victory was the team's first in seven games against a Division I opponent without its leading scorer.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...29_CMICH@MICH/
    Michigan is struggling to find a groove. They have no senior starters, two juniors and both the guard and forward positions have been choppy. They will probably be around .500 the way they are going, sloppy defense and bad shooting can't push them above that.

Losing to CMU is a big no-no to the fanbase, they are expected to win.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Michigan is struggling to find a groove. They have no senior starters, two juniors and both the guard and forward positions have been choppy. They will probably be around .500 the way they are going, sloppy defense and bad shooting can't push them above that.

Losing to CMU is a big no-no to the fanbase, they are expected to win.
    I am starting to wonder if Howard is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I am starting to wonder if Howard is the man.
    It's a valid concern in some manners. The man is real good with with big men but he seems to have have issues with solidifying an approach to the basket without Dickenson. I think losing three freshman off last years team (Collins, Houston and the French kid) really hurt the development of the program. He's not a good enough coach to play the one and done year and if they keep importing senior point guards through the transfer portal each year then they never will find the rhythm

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-31-2022),Revering4Blue (12-31-2022)

Xavier over UConn was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Xavier over UConn was a lot of fun.
    Wow. 10 pt win. That's big

Turn Off Ads?