Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    In 2023 with private jets it wouldn't be that big a deal. Travel would be easier for Gonzaga than most sports in the Missouri Valley getting on buses. But I don't necessarily think Gonzaga should change conferences. Just that if they do, they'd fit in the Big East much better than in the Big XII.
    Private jets would likely be quite pricey in 2023

2. Turn Off Ads?

In 2023 with private jets it wouldn't be that big a deal. Travel would be easier for Gonzaga than most sports in the Missouri Valley getting on buses. But I don't necessarily think Gonzaga should change conferences. Just that if they do, they'd fit in the Big East much better than in the Big XII.
    Yea, it sure would be fun to watch them in the Big East, but logistically it would be a nightmare.

Could they join the Big12 for basketball and only that? I have no doubt Gonzaga basketball makes quite a big of cash, but basketball doesn't bring in the money that football does. It seems that the added travel without the revenue of football would be something pretty pricy to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's more the travel time.
    They'd be flying by private jet. That is significantly quicker from Spokane to Storrs, CT. than when Wichita State's baseball team took a bus to Evansville and Indiana State (in different weekends) back in the MVC days. And I see the Wichita State volleyball team in the Wichita airport heading to Temple sometimes. When they do that, they're in the airport an hour ahead of time, and they're on my flight to Chicago. After at least an hour layover, they fly from Chicago to Philly. Easily a longer travel time than heading to the hangar in Spokane 5 minutes before wheels up and taking a direct flight to Providence.

It's a ten hour bus ride from Louisville, KY to Conway, AR. Does that make it a problem for Bellarmine's baseball team to be in a conference with Central Arkansas?

They'd be flying by private jet. That is significantly quicker from Spokane to Storrs, CT. than when Wichita State's baseball team took a bus to Evansville and Indiana State (in different weekends) back in the MVC days. And I see the Wichita State volleyball team in the Wichita airport heading to Temple sometimes. When they do that, they're in the airport an hour ahead of time, and they're on my flight to Chicago. After at least an hour layover, they fly from Chicago to Philly. Easily a longer travel time than heading to the hangar in Spokane 5 minutes before wheels up and taking a direct flight to Providence.
    They'd be flying by private jet.

Somehow that just sounds unsustainable and definitely dollar chasing.

They'd be flying by private jet.

Somehow that just sounds unsustainable and definitely dollar chasing.
    They'd need to make it basketball only for sure. But every major college basketball program has been flying by private jet for a long time.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Maybe Gonzaga can move their campus to Norman, Oklahoma or Austin, Texas?

They'd need to make it basketball only for sure. But every major college basketball program has been flying by private jet for a long time.
    The closest school to them now is Portland. Everybody else is in California or Utah. I think they are traveling by private jet anyway. Of course the problem is the length of the trips and the time zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The closest school to them now is Portland. Everybody else is in California or Utah. I think they are traveling by private jet anyway. Of course the problem is the length of the trips and the time zones.
    Of course they're flying by private jet already. The length of the trip (in time) would be longer but still shorter than the trips most non-revenue sports have to take to get to places much, much closer together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I like their league, it's all religious schools in tiny arenas.

I have to ask though, will Gonzaga be a force forever?

I have to ask though, will Gonzaga be a force forever?
    I think that's why they're NOW looking to get out of the WCC. Mark Few can't coach forever, and getting into a league like the Big XII (or Big East!) would likely make it easier for their program to stay relevant once Few retires.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-03-2022)

Bob Huggins: “Gonzaga would be in for an awakening if they join the Big 12”.

Bob Huggins is 0-5 against Gonzaga.

I think someone else should have made that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-04-2022),Hillsdale87 (11-19-2022)

I think that's why they're NOW looking to get out of the WCC. Mark Few can't coach forever, and getting into a league like the Big XII (or Big East!) would likely make it easier for their program to stay relevant once Few retires.
    Opportunities like that don't come along every day.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Bob Huggins: “Gonzaga would be in for an awakening if they join the Big 12”.

Bob Huggins is 0-5 against Gonzaga.

I think someone else should have made that point.
    I personally did not think the comment was needed.....especially since they have beat us several times over the last decade. At the same time, I bet you Few would admit that WVU has been one of the five toughest teams they have played multiple times in recent years....there have been some battles. Still, I think Huggins point is it is very different to have a big game in December against Duke or even a tough early season tournament compared to playing @ Baylor on a Saturday, then @ Texas Tech on Monday, then return home on Wednesday to play Kansas. Most seasons the Big12 is brutal because there rarely is more than one...maybe two below average teams....then the travel on top of that. Btw, I do not really know of the connection, but Few is one of Huggins close friends in the sport.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-06-2022)

Appalachian State just hung up 83 points onto the scoreboard against the Owls of Warren Wilson. That was in the first half alone.

Turn Off Ads?