Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2022-2023 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I personally did not think the comment was needed.....especially since they have beat us several times over the last decade. At the same time, I bet you Few would admit that WVU has been one of the five toughest teams they have played multiple times in recent years....there have been some battles. Still, I think Huggins point is it is very different to have a big game in December against Duke or even a tough early season tournament compared to playing @ Baylor on a Saturday, then @ Texas Tech on Monday, then return home on Wednesday to play Kansas. Most seasons the Big12 is brutal because there rarely is more than one...maybe two below average teams....then the travel on top of that. Btw, I do not really know of the connection, but Few is one of Huggins close friends in the sport.
    Going back and reading the article that was likely the point Huggins was making and I would agree with that. If not for WVU getting some “friends” it would have been in their best interest to try to get into a better fit geographically as well.

Three of the five games have been competitive. The first two were blowouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like One and Done is coming to an end:

NBA reportedly expects to lower draft eligibility age to 18

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...ibilty-age-18/

Between this and the G-League route the talent in college basketball will be a lot worse but overall it will be good for the sport.
    It's never been right for the Universities to be able to exploit their services for millions of dollars. It really is a system akin to indentured servitude.

Indentured Servitude:

Indentured servitude is a form of labor in which a person is contracted to work without salary for a specific number of years. The contract, called an "indenture", may be entered voluntarily for eventual compensation or debt repayment, or it may be imposed as a judicial punishment.

If you're African-American, I can't imagine what it must represent or feel like.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Chip R (11-10-2022)

Louisville lost to Bellarmine. There's a sentence I never expected to write. Kenny Payne honeymoon is over quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Louisville lost to Bellarmine. There's a sentence I never expected to write. Kenny Payne honeymoon is over quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (11-12-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Ouch.

Gooooooooo Dayton Flyers!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

jimbo (11-12-2022)

Ouch again.

Trying not to to drink the Kool-Aid, but starting to have good vibes about this WVU team. Curb stomped a bad Pitt team this weekend, but it was more about the approach and pieces. There is a chance that this team could be like past good Huggins WVU teams where our First Five may not be the better First Five that night, but our Top 10(+) is better than their Top 10. Right now, it appears to be very deep....athletic....and a little nasty in attitude. The best player, Texas transfer Tre Mitchell, is still coming back from injury and playing limited minutes....but is flashing legit all conference level skills when he is on the floor.

Huggs has a bunch a defensive minded athletic guards like we did during Press Virginia in returning starting PG Kedrian Johnson, Iowa transfer (started for Iowa) PG Joe Toussaint, South Carolina transfer (started for SC) CG Erik Stevenson, returning Sophomores CG Kobe Johnson and CG Seth Wilson. All a little different in some ways, but all a little nasty in defensive approach and love to make opponents uncomfortable. This is a must for Huggins to play his preferred style because it will allow the team to not be overly concerned about foul trouble on a nightly basis.....something that hurt defensive efforts in recent years. We have the two big bodies down low to play a traditional Center in Jimmy Bell and Mohamed Wague....and a 4/5 option in returning Sophomore James Okonkwo who has more shooting touch and knack for blocking shots. At forwards, we have the mentioned Texas transfer Tre Mitchell, returning Senior (via Washington) Emmitt Matthews Jr., and Freshman Josiah Harris has shown he is ready to roll this season. I expect all 11 of these guys to get minutes every night, and there is enough difference in them it allows all kinds of lineup configurations. I expect to see a decent amount of three guard lineups during a game which is something Huggins has only warmed up to in recent years, but I also expect to see some very big/long lineups on the floor which is more traditional Huggins.

Also, expect Manhattan transfer 6'5" PG Jose Perez (22-23 MAAC Preseason POY) to be eligible by mid December (when semester ends) which could add another dynamic/option to the lineups. If there is a missing piece to this team, it is that absolute perimeter alpha dog that you can give the ball to late in the game and tell him to do what you do to get a bucket....and know that he will come through. WVU had that with guys like Jevon Carter and Deuce McBride, but do not see that guy on this roster on the perimeter.

Should know if they are legit Big12 contenders when they go to Oregon in a little over a week (11/24) to play in the Phil Knight Legacy Tournament. Start with Purdue, and if we get that win will likely play Gonzaga. However it plays out, should get 2-3 games of solid competition to evaluate WVU with a tournament field of Duke, Oregon State, Florida, Xavier, Gonzaga, WVU, Portland State and Purdue.
    Last edited by adkindo; 11-13-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

AT HOME!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    AT HOME!!!
    Well, any loss to Bellarmine was going to be at home since Bellarmine's home court is Freedom Hall! Losing to Wright State isn't much better.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-14-2022)

Well, any loss to Bellarmine was going to be at home since Bellarmine's home court is Freedom Hall! Losing to Wright State isn't much better.
    Maybe you guys can handle Appy St.?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Maybe you guys can handle Appy St.?
    I haven't really been a Louisville basketball fan since Denny Crum was ousted in favor of Rick Pitino. I like Kenny Payne well enough given that he's a Crum guy, but they're definitely not my guys in basketball anymore.

My guys play your guys Friday night. Should be a good one!

I haven't really been a Louisville basketball fan since Denny Crum was ousted in favor of Rick Pitino. I like Kenny Payne well enough given that he's a Crum guy, but they're definitely not my guys in basketball anymore.

My guys play your guys Friday night. Should be a good one!
    I see.

Yep, should be a good one. Go Hoosiers!

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-14-2022)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

LOL...true...I didn't know that!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Man, when I watched Milt Wagner cooly drop two FTs to clinch Louisville's national title game win over Dook, I was definitely NOT thinking: "I bet this guy has a stud son someday who plays for Memphis State and a stud grandson someday who plays for Kentucky."

22. Likes:

RiverRat13 (11-15-2022)

Turn Off Ads?