Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Look At The Reds' Potential 2023 Rotation

A Look At The Reds' Potential 2023 Rotation

This Is From Mark Sheldon reds.com Not From Me
    The top three of the Cincinnati rotation will most likely be second-year starters Nick Lodolo, Hunter Greene and Graham Ashcraft. After that, there are some possibilities.

When the Reds eventually turn full attention ahead to 2023 next month, identifying rotation candidates will be one of several tasks. Luis Cessa would certainly like to be considered.

Cessa is 1-3 with a 4.64 ERA in eight starts -- seven since moving from the bullpen to the rotation last month.

Cessa's longest outings were both 5 2/3 innings in back-to-back starts on Sept. 8 and 13. He has been a reliever full time since the 2019 season.

"I think if they give me the chance next year, maybe I can work hard in the offseason and prepare myself to be a starter," Cessa said. "In the middle of the season, it's really tough to change my routine from a reliever to a starter. But, if they give me the chance, I'll prepare myself to be a starter in the offseason and maybe they make the decision in Spring Training."

Connor Overton was activated from the 60-day injured list on Friday after missing four months with a back injury. Overton had a 1.82 ERA in four starts before he went down May 23, and although he's in the bullpen at the moment, he could get a chance to make a start. He would like a crack at the 2023 rotation.

"I’m proving that I’m healthy and can pick up where I left off," Overton said. "I’m really trying to earn my spot for next year. That’s pretty much the goal for the rest of the season." Overton said.

A Triple-A reliever for most of the season, veteran Chase Anderson has a 2.16 ERA in his last four starts. Although a free agent this offseason, Anderson has stated his enjoyment for the Reds and pitching coach Derek Johnson. If he does return, he could be a bullpen arm or starter depth.

"I feel like I thrive in this small market team. Guys are grinding every day, and I feel like this team is on the ways up," Anderson said Thursday.

Cincinnati's No. 6 prospect, lefty Brandon Williamson, is getting consideration for a promotion to make his big league debut before 2022 ends.

Finally, Justin Dunn posted a 6.10 ERA in seven starts before he went back on the IL with a shoulder injury Sept. 15. Dunn had a couple of nice starts but was prone to walks. His persistent shoulder issue could make him a bullpen candidate if he's unable to start.

full article here
    https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-cessa-...tarter-in-2023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Look At The Reds' Potential 2023 Rotation

It seems they have done a good job developing young arms. They're pitching, moving forward, isn't as big a concern for me as offensive production, putting runs on the board, and filling some void in those key positions. Very disappointing OF (imo).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It seems they have done a good job developing young arms. They're pitching, moving forward, isn't as big a concern for me as offensive production, putting runs on the board, and filling some void in those key positions. Very disappointing OF (imo).
    I would still like to see them add a guy like Ross Stripling or Sean Manea to the rotation to help bolster the overall depth of the order and let the youngsters duke it out for the 5th spot or add a guy like Chad Kuhl to be that #5/6 guy to log innings in rotation or BP.

1) Lodolo
    2) Greene
    3) Stripling/Manea
    4) Ashcraft
    5) Williamson, Cessa, Kuhl, Overton

I would like to see ownership sell the team and new ownership show that it is committed to winning - to support the young arms you need a bullpen to not consistently drop leads and hitters who do more than strike out 30% of the time. Lodolo, Greene, Ashcraft and Overton as a group have 2-3 years left with the team as currently operated, as the team will now start to sell off the best of the 4 at the all-star break of year 3.5 and continue to sell off the rest, who are healthy, over the next 2 seasons after that.

In the perfect world, if Lodolo and Greene (or Ashcraft and Overton) perform well next year, you try to buy out some of their arbitration and free-agent years and set yourself up for a long run of stable starting pitching. It's not happening under this regime.

In summary, it doesn't matter who is in the 2023 rotation as the good games are merely a mirage.

Sorry for the rant, I don't like the losing from the lucky folks who got just enough money to buy ownership.
    Where we gonna go?

6. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (09-26-2022)

For some reason these options dont excite me.

8. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (09-24-2022)

Unless there are a lot of people on the IL, there's no way that Cessa is in the rotation next year.

He does have some obvious value as a long reliever/spot starter.

10. Likes:

UK Reds Fan (09-25-2022)

Overton is probably my favorite of these 3 and I think he has the most promise.

Going into a 162 game season with three second year starters fronting your rotation? Brilliant.

Prediction: They’ll skimp on the 4th and 5th spots, also skimp on the bullpen, and the front 3 will get counted on to carry way more innings than second year starters should. With disastrous results. Hopefully, that disaster doesn’t include injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-26-2022),Kingspoint (09-26-2022),RiverRat13 (09-26-2022),Roy Tucker (09-26-2022),UK Reds Fan (09-25-2022),Wonderful Monds (09-26-2022),WrongVerb (09-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Going into a 162 game season with three second year starters fronting your rotation? Brilliant.

Prediction: They’ll skimp on the 4th and 5th spots, also skimp on the bullpen, and the front 3 will get counted on to carry way more innings than second year starters should. With disastrous results. Hopefully, that disaster doesn’t include injuries.
    And all three have dealt with injuries this year. It’s just a horrible “plan”.

15. Likes:

Kinsm (09-25-2022),mth123 (09-26-2022),Revering4Blue (09-26-2022),The Operator (09-26-2022)

Exactly...

If the plan is to hope those 3 can carry the staff next year with dumpster diving Cessa/Overton and maybe Williamson (who has clearly shown he's not ready) to fill out the rotation...then whatever to that garbage.

The Reds will likely way overpay on FA market. So we need to target a team looking to cut payroll with a pitcher that is making legit $$$$ that we have more then enough ability to add. Sort of like Bauer a few years ago. Or we could have just kept Castillo to a reasonable contract he just signed and not been a cheapskate organization to add Suarez while watering down the Winker trade and got legit prospects in that deal.

17. Likes:

The Operator (09-26-2022)

Yes. I'd like to see Lodolo, Green and Ashcraft as the #'s 3, 4, & 5. All of the rest that are mentioned can be 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc., as those opportunities will certainly present themselves. 1 and 2 need to be filled by Veterans who can at least go 160-180 innings, even if their ERA's are in the 5's.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

19. Likes:

mth123 (09-26-2022),The Operator (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. I'd like to see Lodolo, Green and Ashcraft as the #'s 3, 4, & 5. All of the rest that are mentioned can be 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc., as those opportunities will certainly present themselves. 1 and 2 need to be filled by Veterans who can at least go 160-180 innings, even if their ERA's are in the 5's.
    I agree except for the ERAs in the 5s part. They need to aim higher than that. They need two guys who could be at least a number 3 starter in a play-off rotation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree except for the ERAs in the 5s part. They need to aim higher than that. They need two guys who could be at least a number 3 starter in a play-off rotation.
    I was being realistic to what I believe the REDS are willing to pay for. But, certainly what you say. If they do what you suggest, then there's no reason for them not to have the playoffs as their goal next season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Does Chase Anderson qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Does Chase Anderson qualify?
    Potentially, with what he's done the last two years over 1300 pitches. He could earn it, be cruising along April and May, and then blow up from June forward. The risk is high for a bad return. The risk is low as far as cost. But, he has changed dramatically the last two season from how he pitched in the past.

Turn Off Ads?