Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: How Many Stick on the 40-Man Roster?

Prediction: How Many Stick on the 40-Man Roster?

Right now, the Reds have 52 candidates for the 40-man roster either on the current roster or on the disabled list. Those on the DL will have to eventually be added back to the 40-man roster, of course.

Quick question for the board:

How many Reds currently on the 40-man roster will stay on the roster? I'm not asking who's necessarily going to get dealt, but just how many will basically still be Reds next year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prediction: How Many Stick on the 40-Man Roster?

Under 30. Let’s say 29. That includes any non-tenders of arb players, free agents, release/cuts, guys traded.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-25-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Under 30. Let’s say 29. That includes any non-tenders of arb players, free agents, release/cuts, guys traded.
    I went through the roster and came up with 30.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

Kc61 (09-25-2022)

I'll say 29, also.

I know the majority of RZ would like to cut Moose, but do you think that ownership will really bite the bullet? I see three alternatives. Keep him; release him and eat the money; package him with desirable prospects in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I went through the roster and came up with 30.
    I had 28.

I went through roster and came up with 27. I tbink they will probably keep more than that, but that's what they could do--easily IMHO--without damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I'll say 29, also.

I know the majority of RZ would like to cut Moose, but do you think that ownership will really bite the bullet? I see three alternatives. Keep him; release him and eat the money; package him with desirable prospects in a trade.
    I think he will be back, primarily because the FO will not want to be seen as treating FAs badly. And that's important. OTOH, I hope they move him by agreeing to pay all but a tiny fraction of his salary. If the Reds take on all but a million, somebody might take him. Be worth doing that just for the roster spot, but I doubt it will happen.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2022)

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-26-2022)

I haven't counted lately, but I had 25 in my mind. A couple guys have looked good lately, so maybe 27 or 28.

1. Stephenson
    2. Votto
    3. India
    4. Barrero
    5. Steer
    6. Farmer
    7. Fraley
    8. Friedl
    9. Fairchild
    10. De La Cruz
    11. Marte
    12. Greene
    13. Lodolo
    14. Ashcraft
    15. Cessa
    16. Diaz
    17. Williamson
    18. Antone
    19. Siani
    20. SanMartin
    21. Santillan
    22. Dunn
    23. TJ Hopkins
    24. Levi Stoudt
    25. Alan Cerda
    26. Daniel Vellojin
    27. James Free

They may keep a few more guys since they have room. Senzel?? Aquino?? Hoffman?? Sims?? Lopez?? Overton?? I wouldn't keep any of those.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I haven't counted lately, but I had 25 in my mind. A couple guys have looked good lately, so maybe 27 or 28.

1. Stephenson
    2. Votto
    3. India
    4. Barrero
    5. Steer
    6. Farmer
    7. Fraley
    8. Friedl
    9. Fairchild
    10. De La Cruz
    11. Marte
    12. Greene
    13. Lodolo
    14. Ashcraft
    15. Cessa
    16. Diaz
    17. Williamson
    18. Antone
    19. Siani
    20. SanMartin
    21. Santillan
    22. Dunn
    23. TJ Hopkins
    24. Levi Stoudt
    25. Alan Cerda
    26. Daniel Vellojin
    27. James Free

They may keep a few more guys since they have room. Senzel?? Aquino?? Hoffman?? Sims?? Lopez?? Overton?? I wouldn't keep any of those.
    That list includes guys not currently on it. Who's your #27 guy, the jeweler???

I count 28 on the current 40 man that I think they'll keep. I'll add a couple and go with 30.

One thing for sure: this roster is so weak, cutting guys is not going to be painful. I like it much better when the cuts are tough

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That list includes guys not currently on it. Who's your #27 guy, the jeweler???

I count 28 on the current 40 man that I think they'll keep. I'll add a couple and go with 30.

One thing for sure: this roster is so weak, cutting guys is not going to be painful. I like it much better when the cuts are tough
    It includes guys that need added or be lost in rule 5. I think those 27 are the ones even remotely worth keeping. Free, Vellojin, Hopkins and Cerda are pretty borderline IMO. I'd be quite comfortable cutting down to 20 to 22 guys and adding from there. Some of the current group may be invited back as a non-roster invitee. Vlad may be an example.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It includes guys that need added or be lost in rule 5. I think those 27 are the ones even remotely worth keeping. Free, Vellojin, Hopkins and Cerda are pretty borderline IMO. I'd be quite comfortable cutting down to 20 to 22 guys and adding from there. Some of the current group may be invited back as a non-roster invitee. Vlad may be an example.
    I don't think it's a great idea to get rid of talented prospects when you're rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I don't think it's a great idea to get rid of talented prospects when you're rebuilding.
    Who would we be getting rid of? Cerda or Vellojin? They have some skills but a lot of guy swho are merely interchangeable parts have some skills.

Who would we be getting rid of? Cerda or Vellojin? They have some skills but a lot of guy swho are merely interchangeable parts have some skills.
    Cerda and Vellojin are both real prospects with big-time tools. Hopkins has a chance to be a fourth outfielder in the same vein as Freidl, but with a bit more pop. Free catches and has an idea at the plate.

All four are depth pieces, to be sure, but they're young depth pieces with tools.

You don't throw that in the woodchipper-- especially considering how many other options the Reds have in terms of getting rid of chaff.

I think the Reds have made it pretty clear they won’t be spending extravagantly in 2023. So keeping and pruning players on the 40 man roster will be done pretty conservatively.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?