Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fernando Cruz

Fernando Cruz

Good article about Fernando Cruz
    It was an achievement when Fernando Cruz was promoted to the Major Leagues, a story of perseverance after playing in the minor leagues, Mexican League, independent leagues and anywhere that would give him a chance.

That could’ve been the highlight of his story, but he’s doing his best to make sure that’s just the first chapter of his big-league career.

Cruz entered Sunday with a 0.87 ERA across 10 appearances. He’s allowed three hits and one earned run across 10 1/3 innings while striking out 13 and walking six. He’s frequently matching up against the top of opposing lineups whether it’s his two starts as an opener or his middle relief role.

Cruz, 32, is a rookie in terms of Major League experience, promoted Sept. 1, but he has a veteran mentality. He was a longtime closer in other leagues, so he’s not fazed when there are runners on base.

His mentality, he says, is remembering how unsuccessful some of the best hitters are. If the top hitters are batting .300, they’re still out seven out of 10 times, so he always feels like he has the advantage.

“He opened eyes before he got here,” Reds Manager David Bell said. “He wants to be a Major League pitcher. He’s shown it since he’s been here. He’s shown himself that he’s right, we believe he is also. He has the stuff and mentality to really be a good pitcher in this league.”

Continue Reading:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...o/69517503007/

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-26-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fernando Cruz

Cruz and Law have at least earned a spring training invite with a good chance to make the bullpen in 2023.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-26-2022),Old school 1983 (09-26-2022),Ron Madden (09-26-2022)

I didn't think he'd stick around more than a couple days when he was first called up.

Since then he has been very impressive. I'm a fan.

7. Likes:

757690 (09-26-2022)

Cruz definitely should get a bullpen slot going into spring training next year. I like his closer experience and the fact he's taken this unusual path to get to MLB is a plus. He'd be my middle inning fireman.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-26-2022)

“He opened eyes before he got here,” Reds Manager David Bell said. “He wants to be a Major League pitcher. He’s shown it since he’s been here. He’s shown himself that he’s right, we believe he is also. He has the stuff and mentality to really be a good pitcher in this league.”
    And, yet it took you nearly all year, while being saddled with a trash bullpen, to call him up. And, yet you let him stay down in AAA all summer long, excelling, while calling up has-beens and never-will-bes, some multiple times. Sounds to me as if the people calling the shots have little to no idea what they are doing.

11. Likes:

Indymoon (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Cruz and Law have at least earned a spring training invite with a good chance to make the bullpen in 2023.
    Spring Invite on a minor or major league deal?

Law is 32 years old, arb eligible, and is out of options. There's no reason for the Reds to carry him on the 40 man all winter.
    --The Reds have to stop carrying a dozen guys who are out of options, it severely hamstrings roster maneuverability.

Cruz is at least set to make league minimum and has options. But I won't be sore if he loses his 40 man spot either, too someone younger with more upside or someone with proven big league experience other than a dozen some odd September innings.
    --Cruz right now is benefiting from awesome defense (.136 BABIP) and the league lacking a good scouting report on him.

The odds that either are solid bullpen pieces in the future are slim.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-26-2022),mth123 (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

Law is 32 years old, arb eligible, and is out of options. There's no reason for the Reds to carry him on the 40 man all winter.
    --The Reds have to stop carrying a dozen guys who are out of options, it severely hamstrings roster maneuverability.

Cruz is at least set to make league minimum and has options. But I won't be sore if he loses his 40 man spot either, too someone younger with more upside or someone with proven big league experience other than a dozen some odd September innings.
    --Cruz right now is benefiting from awesome defense (.136 BABIP) and the league lacking a good scouting report on him.

Does it matter? Reds aren't going to spend on anything better than those two. Soo you might as well keep them. But since Law is arb eligible I'm sure he will be sent away and we will be looking under the garbage can for another reliever.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm not here to argue,
    I'm just saying it seems odd to me that the league lacks a good scouting report on Cruz but you seem to have a good one.

16. Likes:

0-2 Count (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Does it matter? Reds aren't going to spend on anything better than those two. Soo you might as well keep them. But since Law is arb eligible I'm sure he will be sent away and we will be looking under the garbage can for another reliever.
    The Reds have to rid themselves of at least 20 players to get back to 40, have space for prospects, and proven free agents.

There are only so many spots available for aged unproven players. That’s just a reality. Going by recent threads on RedsZone we’re going to magically be able to carry 50.

The Reds have to rid themselves of at least 20 players to get back to 40, have space for prospects, and proven free agents.

There are only so many spots available for aged unproven players. That’s just a reality. Going by recent threads on RedsZone we’re going to magically be able to carry 50.
    You are on it: the big question on Cruz isn't whether he's earned a bullpen spot next yr. It's whether he's worth protecting on the 40 man roster. My guess is they won't protect him but that's an "uneducated" guess as I haven't studied their numbers. That said, I root for this kind of guy and I'd love for him to carve out a couple yrs contributing at the big league level and God knows we need help everywhere on our pitching staff

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And, yet it took you nearly all year, while being saddled with a trash bullpen, to call him up. And, yet you let him stay down in AAA all summer long, excelling, while calling up has-beens and never-will-bes, some multiple times. Sounds to me as if the people calling the shots have little to no idea what they are doing.
    Good questions. And, given his age and extensive experience, the Reds can't use the old "we want to be cautious with an inexperienced player" excuse.

20. Likes:

texasdave (09-26-2022)

When I'm looking at the 2023 Reds, I frankly don't care if someone is 32 or 22. Give me the one that will best help the team win in 2023. No matter what happens, the odds that either the 32 year old or the 22 year old are pitching out of the bullpen for the Reds 5 years from now is slim. Knowing that probability, what does it matter how old the guy is. Keep the one that helps you win in 2023. And, if that's Cruz, so be it.

I wonder, if the economics in Cincy allowed for it, some posters would turn their nose up at someone like Max Scherzer or Justin Verlander because of their age.

Turn Off Ads?