Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Castillo traded to the Mariners, Part II

Re: Castillo traded to the Mariners, Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No. The facts changed. Call it what you like. I don’t care about what the history of my opinion on a player is. The facts are objectively different. That you default to the glowing opinion of every prospect as they come through this organization is your thing. You’d almost certainly now say the Mariners are dumb for signing him to that extension. My guess is that the Mariners’ organization is competent enough to right him when he stumbles. It’s evident the Reds have far less acuity with that, as they’ve demonstrated in the past.

This organization let Castillo spend half a season being horrible because they were too lazy and/or incompetent to figure out he was tipping pitches. That wasn’t my misjudgment of Castillo’s terrible 3 month performance—which was objectively, by any measure, godawful. It was the Reds’.

At least I didn’t want Castillo traded in a salary dump like a sizable bunch of you nitwits did with Suarez. I just wanted him demoted to the pen to hopefully figure it out.
    What are you talking about? I’m in no way a prospect homer. I commented that the statistical profile of Marte and Arroyo was actually pretty strong, and corrected your objectively incorrect characterization of that data point. It’s just a fact. Ultimately they are young, in A ball, and pretty far off. Both could bust. Just the reality of it. Would love to have kept Castillo, but would be surprised if he would have given us the same terms as a contender, and with the Reds current lack of desire to invest in other parts of the roster, I’m ok with the move. It did sting.

The Castillo extension? In this thread above I say it’s an awesome extension that makes the deal very worthwhile for the Mariners. This is what I mean by gaslighting. It’s like you are purposely manipulating things to create a narrative that just doesn’t exist.

I’m just asking you to get your facts straight, stray from false narratives, and properly characterize statements. Information does change, but The complete arrogance on the whole Castillo thing is just so unmerited on your end too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Likes:

membengal (10-10-2022),Old school 1983 (10-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Luis Castillo expected to pitch Game 2 of Mariners-Astros ALDS in Houston

The Seattle Mariners are expected to start former Cincinnati Reds pitcher Luis Castillo on Thursday in Game 2 of their best-of-five American League Divisional Series against the Astros in Houston after starting Logan Gilbert in Game 1.

It was the second playoff appearance of his career. Castillo lost to the Atlanta Braves in the 2020 National League Wild Card despite allowing just one earned run through 5 1/3 innings

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...on/ar-AA12L3pF

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    What are you talking about? I’m in no way a prospect homer. I commented that the statistical profile of Marte and Arroyo was actually pretty strong, and corrected your objectively incorrect characterization of that data point. It’s just a fact. Ultimately they are young, in A ball, and pretty far off. Both could bust. Just the reality of it. Would love to have kept Castillo, but would be surprised if he would have given us the same terms as a contender, and with the Reds current lack of desire to invest in other parts of the roster, I’m ok with the move. It did sting.

The Castillo extension? In this thread above I say it’s an awesome extension that makes the deal very worthwhile for the Mariners. This is what I mean by gaslighting. It’s like you are purposely manipulating things to create a narrative that just doesn’t exist.

I’m just asking you to get your facts straight, stray from false narratives, and properly characterize statements. Information does change, but The complete arrogance on the whole Castillo thing is just so unmerited on your end too.

The move was idiotic. The Reds need pitching and they got offense at a clogged position that’s probably 3 seasons away. It was a deeply dumb trade.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The move was idiotic. The Reds need pitching and they got offense at a clogged position that’s probably 3 seasons away. It was a deeply dumb trade.
    Marte is absolutely not 3 seasons away.

Also, they very much need offense.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Marte is absolutely not 3 seasons away.

Also, they very much need offense.
    And they need pitching even more. And defense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I disagree - as I’m not bullish on the Reds roster for next 2-3 years and would be surprised if Castillo ages well.

Fan of Castillo. Fan of the prospects. Timing and context isn’t a black and white issue for me.

You call it dumb, probably like you did original acquisition, but credit yourself for opinions being right without any accountability of results.

If the prospects develop, and Castillo is no longer effective in 2-3 years, what do you think would be a fair response from your position and history?

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-09-2022)

And they need pitching even more. And defense.
    They need everything.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

757690 (10-09-2022),cr_redsfan (11-10-2022),HokieRed (10-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I disagree - as I’m not bullish on the Reds roster for next 2-3 years and would be surprised if Castillo ages well.

Fan of Castillo. Fan of the prospects. Timing and context isn’t a black and white issue for me.

You call it dumb, probably like you did original acquisition, but credit yourself for opinions being right without any accountability of results.

If the prospects develop, and Castillo is no longer effective in 2-3 years, what do you think would be a fair response from your position and history?

Nah I was bullish on the Reds acquiring Castillo from the Marlins. Thought it was a great deal. Kind of hard not to like it.

Hmm, I wonder if LA will be a little more aggressive at the trade deadline going forward.

I’m thrilled about what the Reds got for Luis but LA always has a high and mighty attitude at the deadline, thinking they have their cake and are eating it too.

15. Likes:

757690 (10-17-2022),Revering4Blue (10-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if LA will be a little more aggressive at the trade deadline going forward.

I’m thrilled about what the Reds got for Luis but LA always has a high and mighty attitude at the deadline, thinking they have their cake and are eating it too.
    That’s funny I was just discussing how glorious it would be if the Yankees went down in flames tonight riding the mediocre right arm of Jameson Tallion because they did not want to pony up for Castillo

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-17-2022),Revering4Blue (10-17-2022),WrongVerb (10-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    That’s funny I was just discussing how glorious it would be if the Yankees went down in flames tonight riding the mediocre right arm of Jameson Tallion because they did not want to pony up for Castillo
    Yep same applies for them…but I can’t dunk on them until they are eliminated.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-17-2022),Tom Servo (10-17-2022),WrongVerb (10-17-2022)

Mariners president Jerry Dipoto on Luis Castillo trade

LAS VEGAS – The blockbuster Luis Castillo trade in late July already changed for the fortunes for one organization and the Cincinnati Reds hope it’ll be two a few years down the line.

Jerry Dipoto, the president of baseball operations for the Seattle Mariners, said he was asked by a rival executive Tuesday whether he knew Castillo would sign a long-term extension with his organization prior to the trade.

The Mariners paid a heavy price in prospects for the top pitcher available at last summer’s trade deadline. Shortstops Noelvi Marte and Edwin Arroyo are consensus top-100 prospects. Levi Stoudt will compete for a spot in the Reds’ rotation next spring and high strikeout reliever Andrew Moore was included in the deal.

Castillo, however, was everything the Mariners hoped. He helped them end a 21-year playoff drought and starred during the postseason. The Mariners signed Castillo to a five-year, $108 million extension, which could grow to six years and $133 million based on a vesting option.

“We did pay a premium to get him,” Dipoto said, “and I’d do it again in a minute, especially if I knew he was going to sign and stay.”

“We didn’t know if he would sign long-term, fortunately for us, he came at the right time for the Mariners because it was a pretty fun time to be where we were,” Dipoto said.
    continue reading:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...de/ar-AA13VFJV

21. Likes:

goreds2 (11-12-2022),Kingspoint (12-06-2022),LeatherPants (11-09-2022),mbgrayson (11-09-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How Yankees prospect Jasson Domínguez — aka ‘The Martian’ — handled the hype in 2022

According to one baseball source, the Yankees unsuccessfully dangled Domínguez as part of a package for Reds starter Luis Castillo at this year’s deadline.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

23. Likes:

goreds2 (12-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?