Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 9-27-22 Reds @ Pirates 6:35

Re: 9-27-22 Reds @ Pirates 6:35

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Would you believe Sparky Anderson lost 104 games managing Detroit in 1984?

Only a fool would blame David Bell for The Reds loses this year
    Agreed. Bell is the least of this organization's problems. Just look at the team they have been putting on the field.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-28-2022),Revering4Blue (09-27-2022),Ron Madden (09-27-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    You'd think the Pirates would be a 100 win team the way the Reds looked against them the last 6 times.

Pirate's miserable middle relief pitching is better than the Red's miserable middle relief pitching. The 7 triple A players the Pirates are putting on the field are better than the 7 triple A players the Red's are putting on the field.
    And I suspect both organizations will go with pretty much the same crowd next year.

Would you believe Sparky Anderson lost 104 games managing Detroit in 1984?

No, I wouldn't believe that, because the Tigers went wire-to-wire in 1984 -- winning the World Series.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    No, I wouldn't believe that, because the Tigers went wire-to-wire in 1984 -- winning the World Series.
    I don't know what made me say 1984 ,I meant 89

7. Likes:

Big Klu (09-27-2022),cumberlandreds (09-28-2022),Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

Would you believe Sparky Anderson lost 104 games managing Detroit in 1989?

Sparky had a pass as he already was a World Series Champion manager with both the Reds and Tigers.. Cant say the same thing for Bell. AND if they play the same way next year how can you have any faith in him leading the team to getting past the losing culture if you as a owner refuse to get the MLB players to turn this team around? So Bell can keep losing and face no accountability of not making sure his players are making adjustments etc to become a winner??

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    So Bell can keep losing and face no accountability of not making sure his players are making adjustments etc to become a winner??
    If only we could get Bell to make sure that Aquino, Barrero, Strickland, Farmer, et al are making adjustments etc to become a winner??

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    hiow many managers loose 100 games get to come back the next year?? is there any in the history of baseball?
    Connie Mack, Gene Mauch and Casey Stengel are three. I don't think the greatest manager in the history of the game could have done any more with this bunch. They are just flat out bad. If you ever wondered how being a fan of an expansion team felt then this years team is your answer.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Connie Mack, Gene Mauch and Casey Stengel are three. I don't think the greatest manager in the history of the game could have done any more with this bunch. They are just flat out bad. If you ever wondered how being a fan of an expansion team felt then this years team is your answer.
    Agreed. The most overblown thing in all of sports is the effect a Manager has on a baseball team. Sparky Anderson had nothing to do with the Reds acquiring Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Tony Perez, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullett, Gary Nolan, Clay Carroll or Ken Griffey etc or even guys acquired after he arrived like Joe Morgan, Jack Billingham, Fred Norman, Cesar Geronimo,etc. Those guys are the reason he's in the Hall of Fame. Sparky was a great, likeable guy, a good voice for the team and he didn't make a lot of head scratching moves, but I imagine if he didn't have a roster full of Hall of Famers and All Stars, we'd have been scratching our head a lot more often.

Conversely, David Bell is not the reason the Reds have burned through around 60 players this year, why he opened the season with guys like Vlad or SanMartin in the rotation or why they rushed Greene and Lodolo and watched the team fall out of it early while they took their lumps. He isn't why the OF has been a patchwork of disappointments, retreads and unproven kids. He's not why they Reds have had up to 10 guys in the IL at any given time with his two best offensive players currently on the 60 day IL. He's not the reason that the bullpen was a tryout camp for a bunch of guys nobody else wanted. He's not the Reason Nick Senzel was a bust or guys like Aquino and Barrero are in the line-up every day. In fact, after the terrible start and the rotation improved with Castillo coming back and Mahle getting his act together, the team played roughly .500 ball until they decided to dump the bulk of their production at the deadline.

The Manager can definitely screw the pooch and make a team worse than it is, but sometimes teams have great talent and play great like Sparky's Reds and sometimes the players just aren't major league winning caliber players and nothing the Manager does really matters much. I'd say that this team plays hard and has stayed engaged without throwing in the towel. I think that's a credit to David Bell. Its not his fault that the roster has been filled with a bunch of minor league talents, rushed and not ready prospects or players whose 15 minutes of fame was a long time ago. This is a terrible collection of players and it wouldn't matter who the Manager is.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-28-2022),Revering4Blue (09-28-2022),Ron Madden (09-28-2022),Roy Tucker (09-28-2022)

The announced attendance last night was 8766. I really doubt it was 5000. I wonder if they will have that many tonight?
    8723 was the announced attendance. They were counting the dogs to get to that figure.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

We can't judge this coaching staff on wins due to the crap roster but they should be evaluated on development. A case can be made that pitchers like the 3 rookies in the rotation have improved as well as others like Sanmartin, Dunn and Cessa but hitters, not so much. There's been precious little development seen in our hitters. I think heads should roll in that area

The announced attendance last night was 8766. I really doubt it was 5000. I wonder if they will have that many tonight?
    8723 was the announced attendance. They were counting the dogs to get to that figure.
    I think we might be getting a pretty good idea of how many season tickets the Pirates have sold.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We can't judge this coaching staff on wins due to the crap roster but they should be evaluated on development. A case can be made that pitchers like the 3 rookies in the rotation have improved as well as others like Sanmartin, Dunn and Cessa but hitters, not so much. There's been precious little development seen in our hitters. I think heads should roll in that area
    You have to have raw material to develop. The Reds have bad players. Nobody is going to develop them. At some point talent matters and the Reds don't have much of it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?