Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds bring Solano back at 5 million?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 29.27%
  • No

29 70.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Reds bring Solano back?

Should the Reds bring Solano back?

This was talked about in the game thread, which is ghost town, so I'd thought I'd bring it up here.
    Solano is down to a 733 OPS.
    Yes, he's probably worn out from being a starter instead of a reserve and not being played in favorable matchups.
    However, he cost about 5 million, on a team that could not justify 7 million for Winker..
    The general consesus was that Winker had to go for salary reasons.
    Yes, he's having a bad year in the canyon of a ballpark in Seattle, but he always hit well in the GAB and would have probably had a good year for us (no reason to really believe otherwise, Winker is healthy as far as I know.. someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    But the point is, if the Reds can't afford 7 million for a starter that is a middle of the order bat, how can they justify 5 million for a bench bat like Solano (733 when played a lot)

I know the whole payflex thing is hypothetical, but I'd rather them spend 5 million on pitching.. either a starter or reliever. Hit the scrap heap (or the farm) and try to find a replacement for Solano

Poll coming.. This is "do YOU think the Reds should bring Solano back?", not what you think the Reds will do.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2022),Tony Cloninger (10-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds bring Solano back?

I voted no, because for all the stuff about him being a professional hitter, he has a 99 OPS+. But if they brought him back as a bench guy, it would be OK.

My first choice would be to aim higher, but I'd rather have Solano at $5 Million than Aquino or Senzel for the minimum.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022),Revering4Blue (10-02-2022)

He’s great on a contender to come off the bench. Good professional hitter who is productive when not overused.

I will miss him.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022),Tom Servo (10-02-2022)

I'd keep either him or Farmer, not both. They'll both cost about the same. I'd keep him around if the Reds can trade Farmer for a good bullpen arm.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022),UK Reds Fan (10-02-2022)

I don't think it will matter what we think. Hard to imagine him wanting to come back to the Reds. In any case, I wouldn't bring him back, primarily because of his age. I want to see the roster get younger. BTW, I think Winker was traded because he was perceived to be at maximum value and it was thus the right time to move him for a similar player--Fraley--with more years of control (and of course additional hoped-for value).

11. Likes:

dfs (10-02-2022),REDREAD (10-02-2022),westofyou (10-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I'd keep either him or Farmer, not both. They'll both cost about the same. I'd keep him around if the Reds can trade Farmer for a good bullpen arm.
    Solano makes $4.5 M
    I doubt Farmer will cost that much

13. Likes:

mth123 (10-02-2022),REDREAD (10-02-2022),Revering4Blue (10-02-2022)

Reds will probably let Solano go and give Steer the RHH utility infielder/sometimes DH role. Reds have a number of non-shortstop infielders and, even with Solano’s good bat, I doubt they’ll ask him back.

I don’t see him as fungible with Kyle Farmer since Solano doesn’t have the defensive value or versatility of Kyle.

15. Likes:

Indymoon (10-03-2022),mth123 (10-02-2022),REDREAD (10-02-2022),Revering4Blue (10-02-2022)

Nope. He's 34. Fairchild almost has a better OPS. He ran out of gas after a good 2 1/4 months. He's a good hitter off the bench for a contending team.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022),Revering4Blue (10-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Solano makes $4.5 M
    Farmer is making $3.1 this year and is arbitration eligible again next year. He’ll make more than that, probably $5-6 million.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022)

I would bring Drury back before Solano

Solano makes $4.5 M
    Kyle Farmer? Yeah, he should get about that amount this winter via arb.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Kyle Farmer? Yeah, he should get about that amount this winter via arb.
    Right now, I'd be hesitant to pay Farmer .697 OPS or Solano .722 OPS $5M
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-02-2022 at 06:26 PM.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022)

Right now, I'd be hesitant to pay Farmer .697 OPS or Solano .722 OPS $5M
    The best starting shortstops are making 35M$ a year now, 5M$ is nothing for a guy who can play multiple positions. The Reds can certainly afford it given that would be the 3rd highest paid player next season (as of right now).

Keep in mind an average hitter this season, across the entirety of MLB, put up a .243-.312-.395 line.

26. Likes:

mth123 (10-02-2022),REDREAD (10-02-2022)

This team has made it clear their intentions. What’s the point in an old player like Solano?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

28. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The best starting shortstops are making 35M$ a year now, 5M$ is nothing for a guy who can play multiple positions. The Reds can certainly afford it given that would be the 3rd highest paid player next season (as of right now).

Keep in mind an average hitter this season, across the entirety of MLB, put up a .243-.312-.395 line.
    Yes, and the Reds new shortstop, who took Farmer’s position, is hitting .158 with a .404 OPS. So until somebody else shows they can handle it, Reds might be wise to keep Farmer around.

30. Likes:

mth123 (10-02-2022),REDREAD (10-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?