Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 International Free Agents

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

2023 International Free Agents

We need a thread for next year's international free agents.

Looks like mlb pipeline has put out their list of top international prospects.

The Reds only appear to be in on C Alfredo Duno from that list.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 10-05-2022 at 06:35 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023 International Free Agents

The Reds have been woefully behind in Venezuela for some time now so I would heartily approve of landing Duno.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Reds have been woefully behind in Venezuela for some time now so I would heartily approve of landing Duno.
    I dunno. Might be risky.

6. Likes:

elrojo (10-05-2022),Revering4Blue (10-11-2022)

International players never work out or the Reds, almost seems like they would be better off spending $ on developing what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    International players never work out or the Reds, almost seems like they would be better off spending $ on developing what they have.
    Right. Elly De La Cruz was a waste. Johnny Cueto too.

It's hard to predict the course of development for a 16 year old, especially when they are signed for enough to make them wealthy in their home country.

Aroldis Chapman
    Raisel Iglesias
    Johnny Cueto
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I will say that outside of Cuban players, the Reds have not had much luck at the top end of the IFA market. Guys like Cueto and EDLC did not command large bonuses. Definitely makes you wonder if it’s better to pursue quantity with IFA since the hit rate even on the perceived top guys is so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I will say that outside of Cuban players, the Reds have not had much luck at the top end of the IFA market. Guys like Cueto and EDLC did not command large bonuses. Definitely makes you wonder if it’s better to pursue quantity with IFA since the hit rate even on the perceived top guys is so bad.
    Over the past 30 years the Reds have done this with their international free agents...

Career bWAR Debut Team Name Draft/Signing

36.5 CIN Johnny Cueto Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2004.
    19.0 CIN Aroldis Chapman Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2010.
    17.8 CIN Didi Gregorius Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2007.
    12.3 LAD Miguel Rojas Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2005.
    12.3 CIN Raisel Iglesias Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2014.
    2.1 CIN Aristides Aquino Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2011.
    2.0 CIN Wandy Peralta Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2009.
    1.7 HOU Jose Siri Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2012.
    1.4 CIN Juan Francisco Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2004.
    1.2 CIN Vladimir Gutiérrez Signed by the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in 2016.

<1.0 CIN Everyone else (hundreds of players)

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-12-2022)

Interesting list.

10 players in 30 years doesn't exactly scream confidence.

That said, EDLC is the reason you scout and sign guys internationally.

He's a lottery ticket that should pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Interesting list.

10 players in 30 years doesn't exactly scream confidence.

That said, EDLC is the reason you scout and sign guys internationally.

He's a lottery ticket that should pay off.
    I'm all for teenage lottery tickets. What I'm not really for is spending big money on these guys. Iglesias and Chapman were adults (well physically anyway) when they were signed to big league deals and are kind of an exception. They weren't 16 year olds signed to play in short season ball. Make all the $250K to $300K signings you want to bring young guys in. No more Alfredo Rodriguez, Jose Barrero, Yorman Rodriguez signings. The best guys on the list - Cueto, De La Cruz Gregorius and Rojas - weren't signed to mega deals like ALF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm all for teenage lottery tickets. What I'm not really for is spending big money on these guys. Iglesias and Chapman were adults (well physically anyway) when they were signed to big league deals and are kind of an exception. They weren't 16 year olds signed to play in short season ball. Make all the $250K to $300K signings you want to bring young guys in. No more Alfredo Rodriguez, Jose Barrero, Yorman Rodriguez signings. The best guys on the list - Cueto, De La Cruz Gregorius and Rojas - weren't signed to mega deals like ALF.
    Chapman and Iglesias were big-time money, and both earned that money and then some. That's 20% of the list. Siri (IIRC) and Gutierrez were also fairly large expenditures, and both of them look like they'll be real help moving forward. That bumps it to 40% of the list.

Ultimately, it's not my money. If they want to spend big on a prospect, more power to them.

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Chapman and Iglesias were big-time money, and both earned that money and then some. That's 20% of the list. Siri (IIRC) and Gutierrez were also fairly large expenditures, and both of them look like they'll be real help moving forward. That bumps it to 40% of the list.

Ultimately, it's not my money. If they want to spend big on a prospect, more power to them.
    Chapman and Iglesias were singed to major league deals. Not the same as a deal to a 16 year old, Chapman went straight toi AAA and the 40 man roster and was in the big leagues the same year. Iglesias had a similar timeline. If they want to take a shot on somebody like that now and the, that's OK. I'm just not for giving that much of the budget to teenagers who haven't played professionally. Spend it on the bullpen or something.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Chapman and Iglesias were true free agents if I remember correctly. They did not count towards the International pool money. They feel like a different category than say an EDLC.

20. Likes:

mth123 (10-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Chapman and Iglesias were true free agents if I remember correctly. They did not count towards the International pool money. They feel like a different category than say an EDLC.
    Exactly. They were more like Shogo.

Turn Off Ads?