Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grading the Farm (End of 2022 Edition)

Re: Grading the Farm (End of 2022 Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I was looking at below with 2 guys at superstar level and, if I read it correctly, 3 guys at what sounds like All-Star level. And 5 more that can produce positively for the big club. I’d call that optimistic.

S-Tier
    Noelvi Marte
    Elly De La Cruz

A-Tier
    Cam Collier
    Christian Encarnacion-Strand
    Edwin Arroyo

B-Tier
    Matt McLain
    Spencer Steer
    Brandon Williamson
    Levi Stoudt
    Michael Siani
    I think A-tier is all star the absolute ceiling, most likely MLB regulars - guys that get more than a cup of coffee in the majors.

B-Tier is guys that will get a shot at MLB level, some might stick.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Man, I hate being an old cynical bastard. You guys are awfully optimistic about these players. Hope y’all can tell me I told you so.
    Roy, I’m right there with you. I am jaded enough to not see any “S-Tier” prospects, and I am really hesitant to call anyone an “A-Tier” talent.

I know what all the pundits are saying about guys like Marte, EDLC, and the others, but how many times have the pundits been wrong about prospects? I hope we’re just being overly negative, but I’m thinking that there’s a bunch of wishful thinking about these guys.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Roy, I’m right there with you. I am jaded enough to not see any “S-Tier” prospects, and I am really hesitant to call anyone an “A-Tier” talent.

I know what all the pundits are saying about guys like Marte, EDLC, and the others, but how many times have the pundits been wrong about prospects? I hope we’re just being overly negative, but I’m thinking that there’s a bunch of wishful thinking about these guys.
    Yeah, I hate being negative. I would love to be wrong. It’s happened many times before (I picked Kurt Stilwell over Larkin) so I’ll just keep quiet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Yeah, I hate being negative. I would love to be wrong. It’s happened many times before (I picked Kurt Stilwell over Larkin) so I’ll just keep quiet.
    Glad I wasn't the only one with that terrible idea.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I was looking at below with 2 guys at superstar level and, if I read it correctly, 3 guys at what sounds like All-Star level. And 5 more that can produce positively for the big club. I’d call that optimistic.

S-Tier
    Noelvi Marte
    Elly De La Cruz

A-Tier
    Cam Collier
    Christian Encarnacion-Strand
    Edwin Arroyo

B-Tier
    Matt McLain
    Spencer Steer
    Brandon Williamson
    Levi Stoudt
    Michael Siani
    I acknowledge that these are still prospects. This is the simply reflective of their current trajectory. Prospects are still prospects and I fully expect that at least half of these guys will fall short of their current trajectory.

7. Likes:

mth123 (10-07-2022),RED VAN HOT (10-07-2022),RedTeamGo! (10-07-2022),RiverRat13 (10-07-2022),Roy Tucker (10-07-2022)

I haven't really followed the minor leagues very closely. This year is probably the most I have ever paid much attention to guys on the farm(mostly thanks to RZ and the trades at the deadline). So, tell me, which tier was Mr. Barrero on before his call up ?
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I haven't really followed the minor leagues very closely. This year is probably the most I have ever paid much attention to guys on the farm(mostly thanks to RZ and the trades at the deadline). So, tell me, which tier was Mr. Barrero on before his call up ?
    After his 2021 season, he probably would have been in the A-tier. This year prior to his call up? He probably would have fallen into the B-tier grouping.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-07-2022)

For reference, my post-2021 list would have looked something like this:

S-tier
    Nick Lodolo
    Hunter Greene

A-tier
    Jose Barrero
    Matt McLain

B-tier
    Graham Ashcraft
    Brandon Williamson
    TJ Friedl

Trying not to let hindsight color this.

I’d put Matt McClain in the A-tier.

Not specific to this thread, but I sense he’s getting the Jonathan India treatment.

I’m still on the bandwagon.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-07-2022 at 01:17 PM.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    After his 2021 season, he probably would have been in the A-tier. This year prior to his call up? He probably would have fallen into the B-tier grouping.
    Really?

He was a bottom of the top 100 guy with questions (even then) about his hit tool. And SS is/was the deepest position in all of baseball-- in order to be a top 10 2021 SS, he'd have had to have gone off for 4.1bWAR in a season. To be an All-Star he'd have had to bump that to 5.1.

That's... a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Not specific to this thread, but I sense he’s getting the Jonathan India treatment.

McLain as a 2B might get there. CF too, perhaps.

McLain as a SS? Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Really?

He was a bottom of the top 100 guy with questions (even then) about his hit tool. And SS is/was the deepest position in all of baseball-- in order to be a top 10 2021 SS, he'd have had to have gone off for 4.1bWAR in a season. To be an All-Star he'd have had to bump that to 5.1.

That's... a lot.
    Pre-2022, BA had Barrero as the #33 prospect in all of baseball. He was a heralded international signing coming off a .303/.380/.539 season between AA and AAA while playing very good defense at SS. I think he was definitely A-tier as I’m thinking of it from an outcome standpoint (strong regular contributor, maybe an occasional argument to be an All Star in prime career years, a chance for a little more if things break right). If anything, you might have been able to argue that he belonged higher …
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 10-07-2022 at 03:21 PM.

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

McLain is the one I had the toughest time placing. I think the India comp is a really good one. Could turn into a solid regular if the average ticks up a bit. Everything else in his game checks out.

19. Likes:

Pre-2022, BA had Barrero as the #33 prospect in all of baseball. He was a heralded international signing coming off a .303/.380/.539 season between AA and AAA while playing very good defense at SS. I think he was definitely A-tier as I’m thinking of it from an outcome standpoint (strong regular contributor, maybe an occasional argument to be an All Star in prime career years, a chance for a little more if things break right). If anything, you might have been able to argue that he belonged higher …
    Fair enough.

McLain is the one I had the toughest time placing. I think the India comp is a really good one. Could turn into a solid regular if the average ticks up a bit. Everything else in his game checks out.
    I’d just note that CES - whom I like - has a troubling K/BB ratio. At Reds AA he struck out 26% and walked 4%. Slightly better with Twins AA.

McClain also a high K rate, 28% but a 15.5% BB rate. K rate was lower at A+, so an issue at higher level, but a high walk rate at both levels.

McClain also seems to have much more defensive value than CES. So I don’t see CES being rated a tier ahead of MM - even with CES having a slightly higher wOBA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-08-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?