Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: David Bell Back In 2023 - 5 Coaches Will Not

Re: David Bell Back In 2023 - 5 Coaches Will Not

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Reality is the construct of the world one creates around their personal perceptions

You run with yours I'll run with mine
    10-4
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Bell being Buddy’s son probably entered into the discussion. But Bell has all the bone fides necessary for a MLB manager. He was a viable candidate sans the Bell name.

But baseball also likes family connections. The Bell family tree sure didn’t hurt Bells chances.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-07-2022),Ron Madden (10-06-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    But, I don’t think he’s helping much.
    If there were only a way to estimate managerial WAR.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Bell is getting the same 5 years Price did. Highly unlikely Bell is the Reds manager in 2024.
    Price was always terrible and his teams were always terrible.

Bell has had two seasons above .500. 2023 will also be only his second season under a rebuild.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt Buddy Bell has the clout in this organization to get anyone hired or fired. Remember, David Bell was not the Reds first choice as manager.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2022)

One had a W% of .420, the other .460 (and it'll likely be even lower in 12 months time)....

once his contract is through he's almost certainly gone. They would have given him more than a 2 year extension had they thought differently.

In my opinion NIck Krall and the Ownership Group have far more to do with the failures of this team than David Bell for any of those coaches that were just fired.

10. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-07-2022),CincyRed44 (10-08-2022),Coopdaddy67 (10-08-2022),cumberlandreds (10-07-2022),Fil3232 (10-06-2022),KYExtemper (10-08-2022),marcshoe (10-08-2022),mth123 (10-07-2022),NC Reds (10-08-2022),NebraskaRed (10-07-2022),Red Raindog (10-07-2022),REDREAD (10-07-2022),RollyInRaleigh (10-08-2022),Roy Tucker (10-06-2022),SomeCallMeTim (10-07-2022),WildcatFan (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    In my opinion NIck Krall and the Ownership Group have far more to do with the failures of this team than David Bell for any of those coaches that were just fired.
    So, you agree with 99.9% of all other Reds fans.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    One had a W% of .420, the other .460 (and it'll likely be even lower in 12 months time)....

once his contract is through he's almost certainly gone. They would have given him more than a 2 year extension had they thought differently.
    Much will depend on what the Reds do this offseason. I see three outcomes:

1. The Reds make meaningful additions and they have a decent season around .500. Bell stays.
    2. The Reds make meaningful additions and they have another 90+ loss season. Bell is gone.
    3. The Reds do not make meaningful additions and they have another 90+ season. Bell stays.

The Reds won’t spend on a new manager if they aren’t spending on players. If their goal is to continually rebuild, Bell is fine manager for that, because he’s cheap.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Easy to fire coaches. Can't fire the whole team.

Can't fire the owner, or the owner's dopey son.

16. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2022)

I'm not saying these guys deserved to be fired. From COVID, to the lockout, to management's inability to put together a competitive team, these were things outside those guys' control. But management isn't going to fire themselves. So, let's go through these guys and their responsibilities and let's see if they actually deserved to be fired.

Zinter was the hitting coach. This team's hitting was pathetic. Would another coach do better with this same bunch? Probably not but he's the one responsible so it's justifiable to let him go.

DeShields coached 1st base and was also the infield and baserunning coach. The Reds' defense was so bad at times this year it made me want to cry. As for baserunning, I read an article in The Athletic several months ago that basically said bad baserunning in MLB is the norm. But the Reds were the 3rd worst of a bad bunch so they can't get much worse from that standpoint. Besides, he got to coach his son for awhile so that's a good memory for him. No problems with letting him go.

Tunnell was the bullpen coach and man, was this a bad bullpen. Of course, having guys like Strickland and Warren, just to mention a couple, in there is not going to make anyone look good. Some relievers showed promise, especially Diaz. Add a few guys who can actually pitch well and the bullpen may not be a problem anymore. Still, I can understand letting him go.

Perez was the advanced scouting guy so it's difficult to say whether the Reds were well prepared for their opponents. You can have the best advanced scouting and it the talent isn't there you're not going to win.

Geoff Head was the Senior Director of Health and Performance. The Reds certainly weren't healthy and their performance was terrible so no problems letting this guy go.

It sucks for these guys to lose their jobs but I'm sure they will catch on elsewhere. We can be snarky all we want and say it wasn't their fault but the results speak for themselves. I doubt their replacements are going to make a lot of difference but it's entirely possible they may.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-07-2022),westofyou (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    How many hitting coaches is that in the last 5 years
    This team is the Murphy Brown's secretary of hitting coaches...
    Last edited by membengal; 10-07-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

20. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2022),RichRed (10-07-2022),stlwahoo (11-24-2022),westofyou (10-07-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    If there were only a way to estimate managerial WAR.
    I refuse to believe that in-game WAR would swing outside the range of -1.0 to 1.0. All managers are kind of good, kind of bad. Joe Maddon was basically Phil Jackson in Tampa, and now he's out of a job. Behind the scenes is where they make their real impact. None of us know how Bell is in those situations. Players seem to like playing for him, so who cares that much if he makes a weird double-switch sometimes?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

22. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-07-2022),westofyou (10-07-2022)

I don't have a problem with these moves, but at some point you have to get better players.

24. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2022),CincyRed44 (10-08-2022),KYExtemper (10-08-2022),mth123 (10-07-2022)

Anyone get the sinking feeling that Bell will be here to see thru the next season only to be fired and Larkin will come out of the booth to take over?

26. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Anyone get the sinking feeling that Bell will be here to see thru the next season only to be fired and Larkin will come out of the booth to take over?
    I wouldn't want to see it but if it happens, I don't think it's going to make a difference one way or another. If he wants to play more small ball he's going to have to have players who can do that. I don't want to see it because I don't want to see him destroy his legacy if he doesn't succeed.

I'm curious, before the whole gambling thing happened, how did local fans view Pete Rose as a manager? Four straight second place finishes is nothing to sneeze at but did fans hold him responsible because they never made the playoffs?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?