Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: David Bell Back In 2023 - 5 Coaches Will Not

Re: David Bell Back In 2023 - 5 Coaches Will Not

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wouldn't want to see it but if it happens, I don't think it's going to make a difference one way or another. If he wants to play more small ball he's going to have to have players who can do that. I don't want to see it because I don't want to see him destroy his legacy if he doesn't succeed.

I'm curious, before the whole gambling thing happened, how did local fans view Pete Rose as a manager? Four straight second place finishes is nothing to sneeze at but did fans hold him responsible because they never made the playoffs?

I do remember his handling of the pitching staff and his over reliance on Murphy. Williams and Franco.

He also turned down signing Rick Reuschel before he revived his career in Pittsburgh before being traded to SF. Which the Reds GM Bob Quinn refused to part with the Crown Jewels as he called them.

I don’t know if it was the same GM who told Rose that Rick contacted the team for a tryout. I just remember Rose turned it down and that was verified during the 1987 trade deadline on the aforementioned trade.

Don’t know why Rose would not give him
    A chance considering how good he was against them when they were the BRM. He would throttle them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I don't have a problem with these moves, but at some point you have to get better players.
    That would help but if f they are going with very young players with more coming up soon that are the future they better pay up for coaches who are known to develop players at the ML level.

If you want a great INF/defense coach. Ron Washington would be the one you want. The man made famous for teaching Scott H to field at 1B. Among many other things. He’s got a great rep for coaching up defense.

4. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I do remember his handling of the pitching staff and his over reliance on Murphy. Williams and Franco.

He also turned down signing Rick Reuschel before he revived his career in Pittsburgh before being traded to SF. Which the Reds GM Bob Quinn refused to part with the Crown Jewels as he called them.

I don’t know if it was the same GM who told Rose that Rick contacted the team for a tryout. I just remember Rose turned it down and that was verified during the 1987 trade deadline on the aforementioned trade.

Don’t know why Rose would not give him
    A chance considering how good he was against them when they were the BRM. He would throttle them.
    Bob Quinn wasn't hired as GM until the 1990 season (10/13/1989).

The General Managers during Pete Rose's tenure as manager were Bob Howsam (1984), Bill Bergesch (1985-87), and Murray Cook (1988-89).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Anyone get the sinking feeling that Bell will be here to see thru the next season only to be fired and Larkin will come out of the booth to take over?
    Sounds about right
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Bob Quinn wasn't hired as GM until the 1990 season (10/13/1989).

The General Managers during Pete Rose's tenure as manager were Bob Howsam (1984), Bill Bergesch (1985-87), and Murray Cook (1988-89).
    Thanks for the clarification. Then it was Bergesch. I had Quinn in the brain and he’s the most successful of that era. I guess I had Jack Quinn in the brain after reading his interesting bio on baseball reference about this pitcher who pitched until about 45.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (10-07-2022),Ron Madden (10-07-2022),westofyou (10-07-2022)

I don’t think the Reds want to hire Larkin as manager because that means they will someday have to fire Larkin as manager.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Thanks for the clarification. Then it was Bergesch. I had Quinn in the brain and he’s the most successful of that era. I guess I had Jack Quinn in the brain after reading his interesting bio on baseball reference about this pitcher who pitched until about 45.
    49!

He threw a spitter, pitched in four different decades, pitched for the Highlander's, Federal League, for the A's of Foxx, Cochran and Grove and didn't start until he was 25

A serious freak

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-07-2022),Roy Tucker (10-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If that's the case it's inevitible. I'm sure his rotation will have two sacrificial lambs starting every 5 days, the bullpen is going to have Larry, Curly and Mo pitching in key situations and the clean-up hitter will be a guy who hits maybe 15 HR.
    Ain't no mo

For as many gaps as we have, I was really hoping we would start to hear of this getting shored up. Two weeks ago Krall said we were a week or two away from making some signings.

The lack of a hitting coach can't help if we want to sign a Conforto or Bellinger (unlikely, I know) who would be looking to have a big year and would likely want to chat with who they would work with to be succesful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

15. Likes:

lollipopcurve (11-23-2022)

David Bell is a made man.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    49!

He threw a spitter, pitched in four different decades, pitched for the Highlander's, Federal League, for the A's of Foxx, Cochran and Grove and didn't start until he was 25

A serious freak

Yes. From the dead all era through the beginning of the depression. And he was born in Slovakia or was it technically the Austrian-Hungarian empire or the German one. Too many empires back in the late 1800s.

Yes. From the dead all era through the beginning of the depression. And he was born in Slovakia or was it technically the Austrian-Hungarian empire or the German one. Too many empires back in the late 1800s.
    Austria-Hungary. Franz Joseph was in his 35th year as Emperor when Quinn was born in 1883.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    How many hitting coaches is that in the last 5 years
    THey're hoping sooner or later they'll HIT on one!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

Chip R (11-28-2022),cumberlandreds (11-25-2022)

Hitting coach for the Reds = Drummer for Spinal Tap

22. Likes:

Chip R (11-28-2022),Old school 1983 (11-24-2022),Revering4Blue (11-24-2022)

When you have a roster like this, does it matter who leads them? lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-25-2022),mth123 (11-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?