Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Roster Cutdown

Re: Reds Roster Cutdown

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    $4 million a year? If I'm him, I don't take that. On the open market, he can probably get something like 2 years, $18 million total. He's going to have one shot at some kind of two or three year deal, he's not going to leave money on the table to play with the Reds. Or maybe he will, I don't know.
    As a fan I don't care what Farmer thinks. He's not worth that much money, IMO. The Reds just aren't good at finding comparable talent for much less. No one I know cares all that much about the player' feelings. In the world I live and work in, you perform or are forced to move on.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

2. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (10-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    As a fan I don't care what Farmer thinks. .

He's not an indentured servant and gets to choose if he signs an extension or not, but sure.

According to Baseball Reference Kyle Farmer is under Reds control for two more seasons. Arb eligible until free agency for the 2025 season.

Why would they extend him?

He’s already 32. No impending free agency. Just negotiate year to year. If he becomes too expensive, trade him.

Are Reds really worried about losing Kyle Farmer in 2025? And is Kyle going to take a deep discount to get one extra year with the Reds? No and no.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-10-2022 at 07:12 PM.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-12-2022),SomeCallMeTim (10-10-2022)

I've got 25 keepers:
    Easy Calls
    Tejay Antone
    Graham Ashcraft
    Alexis Diaz
    Hunter Greene
    Nick Lodolo
    Dauri Moreta
    Collin Overton
    Tony Santillan
    Tyler Stephenson
    Jose Barrero
    Jonathan India
    Spencer Steer
    Joey Votto
    Allan Cerda
    Jake Fraley
    TJ Friedl
    Mike Siani
    Stuart Fairchild
    Reiver Sanmartin
    Jared Solomon
    Alejo Lopez

Relatively Expensive For His Role But Worth It
    Jeff Hoffman
    Luis Cessa
    Lucas Sims
    Kyle Farmer

I could see getting rid of any of the last four if they'd actually sign good players, but that's remarkably unlikely. Might as well keep the guys they know, in that case.

That leaves 15 spots for Rule 5 and free agents.

Of these, Lopez and the middle relief corps would be next on my personal chopping block, should I need the spots. I'd also target a SS in free agency or trade, and, if I got one, I'd dangle Barrero as trade bait. (Though I'm uncertain any team would grab him. Perhaps Oakland might bite, on a deal for Brent Honeywell?)

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I've got 25 keepers:
    Easy Calls
    Tejay Antone
    Graham Ashcraft
    Alexis Diaz
    Hunter Greene
    Nick Lodolo
    Dauri Moreta
    Collin Overton
    Tony Santillan
    Tyler Stephenson
    Jose Barrero
    Jonathan India
    Spencer Steer
    Joey Votto
    Allan Cerda
    Jake Fraley
    TJ Friedl
    Mike Siani
    Stuart Fairchild
    Reiver Sanmartin
    Jared Solomon
    Alejo Lopez

Relatively Expensive For His Role But Worth It
    Jeff Hoffman
    Luis Cessa
    Lucas Sims
    Kyle Farmer

I could see getting rid of any of the last four if they'd actually sign good players, but that's remarkably unlikely. Might as well keep the guys they know, in that case.

That leaves 15 spots for Rule 5 and free agents.

Of these, Lopez and the middle relief corps would be next on my personal chopping block, should I need the spots. I'd also target a SS in free agency or trade, and, if I got one, I'd dangle Barrero as trade bait. (Though I'm uncertain any team would grab him. Perhaps Oakland might bite, on a deal for Brent Honeywell?)
    I agree Reds will keep “the guys they know”’ But they’ll keep more of them than this. No need to leave a slew of slots available for acquisitions they won’t make.

The non-tender deadline will give some clues about what direction the Reds will be going in terms of payroll.

If they non-tender Farmer and Cessa, they will be going as low as possible.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The non-tender deadline will give some clues about what direction the Reds will be going in terms of payroll.

If they non-tender Farmer and Cessa, they will be going as low as possible.
    Their recent pattern would not be a non-tender. It would be a trade. Try to negotiate with Farmer and Cessa. If you can’t agree, then trade them for younger and cheaper.

12. Likes:

757690 (10-10-2022),Old school 1983 (10-10-2022)

It is optimistic to believe that all the injuried pitchers will recover and pitch at the level they did in their best year. If to use the Chicago Cubs executive's statement "intelligent spending" should the Reds sign Hoffman, Antone, Cessa, Sims, Anderson, Dunn with the hope that half return to previous form? Or the converse sign none of them and replace them all with free agents. I read a long thread on how cheap the Reds management was and then this thread has folks getting upsets over a few million dollars for a player who is 30+ and not worth the risk.

Buck Farmer gave up 2 home runs in 47 innings, pitching half the time in our band box. He had a 117 ERA+ and a 3.03 FIP. You guys may not like him but you're not going to find 15 better relievers. I predict he'll be back.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-12-2022),757690 (10-11-2022),Edd Roush (10-13-2022),Kc61 (10-11-2022),malcontent (10-12-2022),RED VAN HOT (10-11-2022),REDREAD (10-12-2022),Ron Madden (10-11-2022),Sassy Sal (10-12-2022),Tony Cloninger (10-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The Reds are loaded at IF in the prospect ranks so I wouldn't offer anything past a two year deal for Farmer. Hopefully he isn't needed beyond 2023 when Elly and McLain come up. If the Reds need Kyle Farmer in 2025 then something has drastically gone wrong with our top 10 prospects.
    The chances of prospects being busts are far greater than them being adequate ML players. Just sayin.

To follow up on an earlier post, I could see the Kyle Farmer/Reds relationship ending. I hadn’t considered such a high arb number for Kyle, but this is his payday. I can’t see him agreeing to discounts with the Reds, whether for one year or multiple years.

Nor do I see the Reds offering him a rich deal. He’s not a long term factor for them, he’s 32. $6 million would seem high for Reds’ taste; a three year deal for, say, $16 million would probably be a non-starter for Reds (under the Reds austerity program).

You never know, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they part ways this off-season.

18. Likes:

LeatherPants (10-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Buck Farmer gave up 2 home runs in 47 innings, pitching half the time in our band box. He had a 117 ERA+ and a 3.03 FIP. You guys may not like him but you're not going to find 15 better relievers. I predict he'll be back.
    But what are the odds that he does those numbers again in 2023? Relievers are nothing if not volatile.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    But what are the odds that he does those numbers again in 2023? Relievers are nothing if not volatile.
    Of course they're volatile, and the art is getting the right ones at the right time. But what are you going to do? Go out and get guys with bad numbers because you're suspicious of the ones with good ones? I don't expect Farmer to be as good next year as he was this one, but I don't think it's likely you'll find 15 better bullpen pieces. And realistically, that's about what you need.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-12-2022),REDREAD (10-12-2022),Tony Cloninger (10-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Of course they're volatile, and the art is getting the right ones at the right time. But what are you going to do? Go out and get guys with bad numbers because you're suspicious of the ones with good ones? I don't expect Farmer to be as good next year as he was this one, but I don't think it's likely you'll find 15 better bullpen pieces. And realistically, that's about what you need.
    The main reason Farmer was good in 2022 is that his HR/9 was so far below his career norms. If that goes back to normal, he's going to be a batting tee in GAB.

Buck Farmer is far from perfect, but the Reds don’t spend on relievers, and he would probably be replaced by some AAAA lottery ticket.

I can’t see this team letting go of successful relievers, even if their future performance is unclear or questionable.

His arbitration number isn’t high, just ride him for another season.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?