Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason Thread

Re: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason Thread

Dodgers analyst Eric Karros feels there will be a major roster overhaul this offseason

ADodgers analyst Eric Karros highlights some of the major changes coming for Los AngelSes this offseason, changes that were likely to come even without their NLDS loss.

"It's gonna be different, there's no question. I think there's gonna be some significant difference as far as what Dodger fans have been accustomed to.
    https://www.si.com/mlb/dodgers/news/...offseason-js77

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dodgers’ Friedman/Gomes Discuss Roberts, Kershaw, Bellinger, Justin Turner

The Dodgers were baseball’s best team in the regular season, winning a franchise-record 111 games. They cleared the next-closest team, the Astros, by five games and finished ten clear of anyone else in the National League.

That didn’t translate to postseason success, however, as Los Angeles dropped three of four to the division-rival Padres in their Divisional Series.

As they enter the offseason earlier than hoped, president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman and general manager Brandon Gomes met with reporters this afternoon.

The executives predictably expressed their disappointment with the early postseason exit, with Friedman suggesting it was the most painful series loss of his tenure atop baseball operations.

Yet he quickly downplayed the need for sweeping organizational changes, pointing to the volatility inherent in a short playoff series.

To that point about the team not requiring any kind of drastic overhaul, Friedman confirmed previous reports manager Dave Roberts would be back for an eighth season.

Turning to the playing personnel, Friedman and Gomes touched on a few key decisions they’ll need to make early in the offseason.

While the ball is primarily in Kershaw’s court as to whether he returns to Dodger Stadium, the onus falls on the team to decide how to proceed with 2019 NL MVP Cody Bellinger.

Bellinger is arbitration-eligible for a final time this winter, and MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects him to receive an $18.1MM salary if tendered a contract.
    Continue Reading:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...er-turner.html

I’d take Winker off their hands in a heartbeat.

The Mariners will have Geno for two more seasons so even if they dump Winker for some C prospects, they still come out looking good on the initial trade.

Winker will be making around $10M next season, so C prospects should be all it takes to get him. And even if he doesn’t bounce back all the way, he likely will be better than any current option the Reds have.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

The Mariners will have Geno for two more seasons so even if they dump Winker for some C prospects, they still come out looking good on the initial trade.

Winker will be making around $10M next season, so C prospects should be all it takes to get him. And even if he doesn’t bounce back all the way, he likely will be better than any current option the Reds have.
    Winker is due to make $8.25 million in 2023, he avoided arb this year and signed a two-year contract.

6. Likes:

757690 (10-19-2022),Old school 1983 (10-19-2022),Revering4Blue (10-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    My guess is nothing. Say what you will about last year’s team, but I wouldn’t accuse any of them of dogging it.
    https://omny.fm/shows/brock-and-salk...ts-on-the-ms-i

FYI, here’s the audio from Divish/podcast. 10:45. Yikes.

@tridenttruee

Oh so Jesse Winker quiet quit the Mariners?

9. Likes:

LeatherPants (10-19-2022)

Pass.

Reds fans biggest fault is they are backwards looking.

He's gone, his game is one-dimensional and he just shat the bed in another town. Time to march forward

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-19-2022),Roy Tucker (10-21-2022),WrongVerb (10-19-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pass.

Reds fans biggest fault is they are backwards looking.

He's gone, his game is one-dimensional and he just shat the bed in another town. Time to march forward
    Normally I’d agree, but that’s more of a problem when people here after 2019 are insisting we bring Puig back in, or make frequent trade proposals for Jeter Downs or whatever.

Winker’s a talented player, and the DH is here now. If he’s a buy low candidate, I would gladly have him back.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-20-2022),757690 (10-19-2022),LeatherPants (10-19-2022),mth123 (10-19-2022),Revering4Blue (10-19-2022)

The Reds need to focus on all around players. Their poor defense has cost them and it hurts the pitchers. To me, acquiring someone to DH is a red flag. I’d rather use that DH spot for Tyler Stephenson when he’s not catching; Joey Votto to give him more rest as an older player; and others who aren’t in the field on a particular day. I’d pass on Winker myself, use the money for a different type of player.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds need to focus on all around players. Their poor defense has cost them and it hurts the pitchers. To me, acquiring someone to DH is a red flag. I’d rather use that DH spot for Tyler Stephenson when he’s not catching; Joey Votto to give him more rest as an older player; and others who aren’t in the field on a particular day. I’d pass on Winker myself, use the money for a different type of player.
    If the DH is there you should use it. You don’t need an all around player there, that’s specifically what it’s for.

With that policy, you’d be cycling through giving ABs to backups basically and would pass on great hitters along the lines of David Ortiz, Edwin Encarnacion etc. Good teams tend to use the DH spot for legitimately good hitters.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-20-2022),REDREAD (10-19-2022),Revering4Blue (10-19-2022),Ron Madden (10-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yeah, Winker is a one dimensional player, but that is one more dimension than most of the Reds current options have.

One advantage of trading for Winker is that it’s a trade. The Reds don’t have to out bid other teams for his services, they just have to present to best offer to the Mariners.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If the DH is there you should use it. You don’t need an all around player there, that’s specifically what it’s for.

With that policy, you’d be cycling through giving ABs to backups basically and would pass on great hitters along the lines of David Ortiz, Edwin Encarnacion etc. Good teams tend to use the DH spot for legitimately good hitters.
    Like when they give India a break and slot him as DH while Elejo Lopez starts at 2B.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2022),Wonderful Monds (10-19-2022)

Yeah, Winker is a one dimensional player, but that is one more dimension than most of the Reds current options have.

One advantage of trading for Winker is that it’s a trade. The Reds don’t have to out bid other teams for his services, they just have to present to best offer to the Mariners.
    Meh, after listening to that podcast I'm getting a Ben Grieve vibe for career length for Jesse.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Not many teams trot out a steady DH these days (too many pitchers) if they do it's a Stanton, Cruz, Martinez, Shohei (rarity), Vogelbach type. I like baseball players myself

23. Likes:

Chip R (10-19-2022)

You literally spent the entire season saying why it was great that the Reds traded Winker and that they easily replaced his WAR at less cost and now you want them to bring him back.

I think they should bring him back, because the guy can hit RHP really really well, but make up your mind, man.

Turn Off Ads?