Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason Thread

Re: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    You literally spent the entire season saying why it was great that the Reds traded Winker and that they easily replaced his WAR at less cost and now you want them to bring him back.

I think they should bring him back, because the guy can hit RHP really really well, but make up your mind, man.
    The world keeps rotating and what happens on this planet keeps changing.

Winker was overrated by Reds fans. Many here thought he was a franchise type player who could not be replaced. Getting solid prospects for him last off season was a smart move and 2022 revealed just how smart it was.

Now he’s a good bounce back candidate that could benefit from coming back to his old ballpark. He will be cheap to acquire and has a decent contract. The Reds could use his bat against RHP and the price is right.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Senzel and Sims for Winker.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Meh, after listening to that podcast I'm getting a Ben Grieve vibe for career length for Jesse.
    So we all know Jay Bruce was Ben Grieve II so that means Jesse is Ben Grieve the Third?

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2022),westofyou (10-19-2022)

You know what would be a great PR move for the Reds? Trade for Winker. It would be seen as a mea culpa from the organization to the fans. I'm fairly sure Krall has no flair for the dramatic but what they should do is get the trade done right before Reds Fest. Then plant some trade rumors starting Thursday on social media to start a buzz. Come Friday, the convention center will be abuzz with the rumor. Then on Saturday, you bring him out in his uniform on the main stage. It would be a PR move Bill Veeck would be proud of.

Of course I'd rather see the Reds making moves to make the team better instead of making themselves look good. I don't know if Winker would be a good fit on this team - even if the rumors about his work ethic aren't true. Four years ago? Yeah but I seem to recall fans calling him everything but a child of God in 2019 when he had a dreadful first half of the season. I don't want to get a guy who can just DH and play a suspect LF. That said, this team isn't going anywhere. Why not bring back a beloved former player? Might sell a few more tickets. They aren't going to sign Aaron Judge or even a lesser free agent. Would you rather get someone like Winker who has a history here or someone like Pham who had no history whatsoever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Good teams tend to use the DH spot for legitimately good hitters.
    But the Reds are not a good team. They can’t man the 8 positions. They probably have six open spots where they need all around players.

Trading for a DH is silly. They have plenty of guys who can DH when not playing their position, including good hitters like Tyler Stephenson, Joey Votto.

I guess I can’t blame Reds fans for wanting Winker again. Team is terrible and they know him. It’s not the way to go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-19-2022 at 04:46 PM.

8. Likes:

JCM11 (10-19-2022),westofyou (10-19-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But the Reds are not a good team. They can’t man the 8 positions. They probably have six open spots where they need all around players.

Trading for a DH is silly. They have plenty of guys who can DH when not playing their position, including good hitters like Tyler Stephenson, Joey Votto.

I guess I can’t blame Reds fans for wanting Winker again. Team is terrible and they know him. It’s not the way to go.
    I don’t disagree about the rest of the lineup, but if you can get Jesse Winker for very little value, if he bounces back he could be 4 WAR player at DH. Hard to argue against that move, if you could get him for one of our prospects ranked in the teens or something like that. They should make that move every chance they get wherever said player ends up on the diamond.

I wouldn’t make DH a priority, but I wouldn’t pass up a good value deal if it comes along, is what I’m saying I guess.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-20-2022),757690 (10-19-2022),LeatherPants (10-19-2022),mth123 (10-19-2022),Revering4Blue (10-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don’t disagree about the rest of the lineup, but if you can get Jesse Winker for very little value, if he bounces back he could be 4 WAR player at DH. Hard to argue against that move, if you could get him for one of our prospects ranked in the teens or something like that. They should make that move every chance they get wherever said player ends up on the diamond.

I wouldn’t make DH a priority, but I wouldn’t pass up a good value deal if it comes along, is what I’m saying I guess.
    If Seattle gives the Reds Winker for essentially nothing it’s hard to complain. But I’d rather the Reds use the $8.5 million in some other way. The .500 Reds of 2020-21 had too many one-dimensional, slow, poor defense type guys. I don’t want to see them return. If Reds are going to spend some money, I’d rather they go in a new direction.

12. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (10-19-2022)

Mariners’ Jesse Winker has one surgery and needs another

The Mariners say injuries were partly to blame for Winker’s struggles, and they’re hopeful he will be able to return to his All-Star form after two surgeries this offseason.

Winker had surgery on his left knee earlier this month in New York, Mariners president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto revealed Wednesday afternoon.

Winker, 29, is also expected to have surgery on his neck soon, Dipoto said.

Winker ended the season on the injured list with what the team called a cervical disc bulge. He was not with the team during the playoffs, leading to some speculation about his future with the organization.

“The injuries he was dealing with at the end were very real,” Dipoto said in an end-of-year news conference at T-Mobile Park. “Obviously enough so that he was not traveling with us during the postseason and was rather spending seven days of his time in New York, getting that resolved.”

The Mariners say they have not given up on Winker being a key contributor to the team in 2023.

“So the big thing is, he’s gotta get healthy. Get the knee taken care of. The neck issue is a real issue. That’s something that has gotten worse over the course of the year; it crept up at a very inopportune time for him, right at the end here. Taking care of that and getting on to next year is the most important thing for him and for us right now.”

Turns out, the Mariners did acquire a breakout bat in that spring-training trade with the Reds — in the form of third baseman Eugenio Suarez.

Suarez wound up becoming one of the most valuable players for the Mariners in their march to the postseason; his 4.0 WAR trailed only Julio Rodriguez’s 6.0.
    full story here:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-neck-surgery/

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-20-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Mariners’ Jesse Winker has one surgery and needs another
    full story here:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-neck-surgery/
    So scratch Jesse off the Redszone wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So scratch Jesse off the Redszone wish list.
    We can turn to getting Drury, Peralta, Naquin, Duvall, Casali, and Jose Iglesias back. I’d add Csst, Raisel, and Castillo but, you know, money.

We can turn to getting Drury, Peralta, Naquin, Duvall, Casali, and Jose Iglesias back. I’d add Csst, Raisel, and Castillo but, you know, money.
    Brian Shaw is rested.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

18. Likes:

Kc61 (10-20-2022),Revering4Blue (10-20-2022)

I know you're being sarcastic, but they should 100% try to get Casali back. He really is one of the best back up catchers in the league.

20. Likes:

mth123 (10-20-2022),Old school 1983 (10-20-2022),Revering4Blue (10-20-2022),Ron Madden (10-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Senzel and Sims for Winker.
    Why? Winker is a FA at the seasons end. If you want him, just offer him a FA contract when the years up.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Why? Winker is a FA at the seasons end. If you want him, just offer him a FA contract when the years up.
    I would do that deal just to get Senzel off the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’d rather do something to make sure Senzel and Sims aren’t Reds any longer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?