Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001

Thread: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason Thread

Re: 2022/2023 MLB Offseason Thread

Miguel Andujar has been DFAd by the lowly Pirates. Is there anyone on the 40 man that he could replace? He once looked like a good young player.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    Miguel Andujar has been DFAd by the lowly Pirates. Is there anyone on the 40 man that he could replace? He once looked like a good young player.
    The Yankees fans, for years, were happy trading him for Castillo.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-20-2023)

Second basemen have been the face of an evolving game. Will MLB's infield shift limits transform the position again?

The 2023 MLB season sets up as the start of a new, fascinating era in the history of second basemen, thanks to the dawn of MLB’s infield shift limitations. The area of the field most distorted, crowded and studied by modern defensive tactics will (mostly) be snapped back into its traditional alignment by force of rule.

The players who man the position will face new (or old) responsibilities and demands, and entirely different people might find themselves in the role because of those changes.

While most of the attention on the new shift limitations has understandably gone toward understanding how hitters might benefit, how many more hits left-handed sluggers might accumulate under the new rules — there will also be career-altering intrigue in the field.

Maybe you have a visual archetype of the second baseman: contact-hitting, short, speedy. There’s good reason for that. The two best hitting second basemen by OPS+ since integration are Joe Morgan and Jose Altuve, all-around marvels under 5-foot-9.

Maybe you also have a scouting archetype of the second baseman: “Not enough arm for shortstop.” There’s good reason for that, too. Athletes with the hands and agility fit for demanding middle-infield duties have for eons shuffled over to second base if they can’t quite make that longer throw to first. Or if their bat doesn’t quite cut it at third base. Or if they are simply usurped by a superior player.

continue reading:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...in/ar-AA16zGkZ

https://www.mlb.com/news/ronnie-gajo...lsboro-manager

D-backs name Gajownik as 1st woman skipper at High-A level

PHOENIX -- When she was growing up in Orlando, Fla., Ronnie Gajownik's dad would sometimes take her out of school to go to a Spring Training game with him. Baseball was a passion for her, but as she would stare out onto the field, there was something she didn't see -- people who looked like her. Instead, it was a game played, coached and managed by men.

Thanks to women like Gajownik, that is no longer the case.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

My Sunday afternoon time-sink today was to create a 30 man roster with one player from every team. I used these rules:

• 15 pitchers & 15 hitters (Ohtani counts as a SP)
    • 6 man rotation
    • 3 catcher minimum

Depth Chart 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    RP Oberg (COL) Bummer (CWS) Mantiply (AZD) Rogers, Ta (SFG) Puk (OAK) Barlow (KCR) Fairbanks (TBR) Lange (DET) Duran (MIN)
    SP deGrom (TEX) Burnes (MIL) Alcantara (MIA) Fried (ATL) Ohtani (LAA) Manoah (TOR) Vs R Vs L
    C Rutschman (BAL) Realmuto (PHI) Stephenson (CIN) Altuve Altuve
    1B Goldschmidt (STL) Stephenson (CIN) Soto Betts
    2B Altuve (HOU) Alu (WAS) Judge Judge
    3B Ramirez (CLE) Devers (BOS) Devers Goldschmidt
    SS Lindor (NYM) Swanson (CHC) Goldschmidt Rodriguez
    LF Judge (NYY) Reynolds (PIT) Rutschman Swanson
    CF Rodriguez (SEA) Reynolds (PIT) Rodriguez Realmuto
    RF Betts (LAD) Reynolds (PIT) Betts Ramirez
    DH Soto (SDP) Ohtani (LAA) Lindor Ohtani

I originally had Edwin Diaz but did some edits and didn't want to re-arrange the bullpen afterwards. Suffice to say that Oberg wouldn't be the closer on this team. I'm not particularly happy with the catching situation - I'd rather take Keibert Ruiz as the 3rd catcher and take Trea Turner instead of Realmuto, but I think Ruiz would end up with more playing time than Alu and this sort of turned into a game of "hide the National."

Interesting broadcasting news out of St. Louis

Chip Caray is leaving the #Braves TV broadcast booth for a similar position with the Cardinals, sources have told The Athletic. Caray, son of the late Braves broadcaster Skip Caray, was raised in St. Louis and is the grandson of legendary former Cardinals broadcaster Harry Caray.

9. Likes:

Chip R (01-24-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Mark Feinsand
    @Feinsand

Adalberto Mondesi is being traded to the Red Sox, per source. The Royals will receive Josh Taylor in exchange, while Boston will also receive a player to be named later.
    12:24pm · 24 Jan 2023
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

That's a fantastic get for Boston if he can stay healthy. Mondesi might hit .280 banging balls of the Green Monster and lead the league in SB while playing a quality SS.

Josh Taylor has some interesting upside, but it's not nearly as much as Mondesi's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's a fantastic get for Boston if he can stay healthy. Mondesi might hit .280 banging balls of the Green Monster and lead the league in SB while playing a quality SS.

Josh Taylor has some interesting upside, but it's not nearly as much as Mondesi's.
    I could maybe see an uptick but I can't seeing Mondesi ever hitting .280. I think what you see is mostly what you get with him at this point, great glove and a bit of speed but little in the way of batting production.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I like it because it’s a rare need based trade of two established players. You almost never see those these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I could maybe see an uptick but I can't seeing Mondesi ever hitting .280. I think what you see is mostly what you get with him at this point, great glove and a bit of speed but little in the way of batting production.
    Yeah, he'll go on the occasional heater but he will have Siberian level cold streaks.

Turn Off Ads?