Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is a driver's license (not RealID) and social security card enough?

Is a driver's license (not RealID) and social security card enough?

To pass TSA? I'm worried that I'll get rejected from flying to New York.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is a driver's license (not RealID) and social security card enough?

Assuming you're in Ohio you should be OK according to this: https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/dl-real-id.aspx but you really should upgrade in the future

4. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (10-12-2022)

I've flown with just a driver's license at least a dozen times in 2022...

6. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    If you fly before May of next year the regular license - if it's still valid - will work, any flight after that date and you'll need a Real ID compliant ID (domestic or international travel won't matter - both require it).

Keep in mind, the date has been pushed back like 10 times, and might be pushed back again before May.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-14-2022),OldFashionedRed (10-12-2022)

Thanks everyone for the replies. At CVG now, Gate B12. It's been 38 years since I last flew
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-12-2022),goreds2 (10-12-2022)

I'm on the plane . Sorry for being so dramatic, right now I'm just totally beside myself, like a kid. I told my husband that I'm loving the whole process of travelling by plane, that I could get used to this.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-12-2022),goreds2 (10-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    You may want to get a passport for a second ID even if you don't ever go out of the country. I have used mine a few times over the years for a 2nd ID. Most places won't take a social security card as they have been forged very easily.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You may want to get a passport for a second ID even if you don't ever go out of the country. I have used mine a few times over the years for a 2nd ID. Most places won't take a social security card as they have been forged very easily.
    On that note if you need a passport or to renew do it super early, I had to wait 7 months for my new one.

16. Likes:

Just thought I'd give an update: our vacation to Boston was A LOT of fun, not very productive (we don't know the city that well, the MBTA is confusing at times). Flew out of CVG to LGA, and then onto BDL.
    Got to see the Boston Tea Party exhibition, very interesting! My husband who is from England found it all quite humorous. Here they are talking about the "British", and hubby is there grinning knowing an actual Englishman was sitting in the room with everyone We all drew cards that gave us names of the actual people who existed back then (I think), and hubby's character was found supposedly dead.
    The narrator asked the crowd what should be done with the body. We were all standing on a replica of the ship. I yelled "throw him over" and that cracked some people up. Hubby turned blood red in the face and started grinning. The narrator was like "no, we don't want to do that because it turns out that he wasn't really dead...." Visited the Museum of Science, not really that good IMO because so much of the information is readily accessible on Google/YouTube. Many of the displays weren't working properly or at all. We also visited the MIT Museum, and that was enlightening. I didn't take kindly to security staring at everyone, but I understand the need for them to be there. I personally enjoyed the section showing the beginnings of computer science, and the actual code that NASA used to pilot satellites / spacecraft from the time when man landed on the moon. Everything from the beginnings of prosthetics to DNA research to vacuum computers to spacecraft modules to solar windsails. The leaves were beautiful in Boston, but even prettier out toward the Berkshires. We also visited Fright Kingdom in Nashua NH, a 40 minute drive from where we stayed in Waltham MA. It was sad to leave Boston. Massachusetts is my "second home", and hubby says that the New England area reminds him so much of England. We're hoping to move up that way in 2-3 years, health-willing. Some souvenirs we bought were "I(heart)NY" and "Boston, Massachusetts" and we proudly wore them when we went grocery shopping in northern Kentucky this evening. On our way back home from LGA (La Guardia) our terminal was changed FIVE TIMES. That wasn't fun, I'm very out of shape. I didn't realize until some time into our stay at LGA that we were in Queens, NY. Across a body of water we could see Citi Park, home of the New York Mets. How cool is THAT?!? This was the first time I'd flown in 38 years, and already I'm wanting to do it again

18. Likes:

moewan (10-19-2022),RFS62 (10-26-2022),Roy Tucker (10-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    If you fly before May of next year the regular license - if it's still valid - will work, any flight after that date and you'll need a Real ID compliant ID (domestic or international travel won't matter - both require it).

Keep in mind, the date has been pushed back like 10 times, and might be pushed back again before May.
    And yet another delay...

The Transportation Security Administration and other federal agencies were expected to only accept the nationally approved IDs starting May 3, 2023. But on Monday, the Department of Homeland Security announced that the deadline would be extended until May 7, 2025.

The REAL ID Act was passed by Congress in 2005 following the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001. At the time, the 9/11 Commission found that it was too easy for people to obtain driver's licenses. The group called for ID requirements to be raised and nationally standardized.

The law was originally scheduled to be enforced in 2008, but several states have resisted compliance over the years on the basis of cost or privacy issues. It wasn't until 2020 that all 50 states including the District of Columbia began issuing REAL ID-compliant licenses and IDs. All U.S. territories except for American Samoa are also complying.

As of 2021, only 43% of all state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards are considered REAL ID-compliant, according to DHS.

One thing Gov't is good at is delaying and extending deadlines. We'll see how much compliance we get by 2025. I got mine 3 yrs ago

21. Likes:

goreds2 (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    One thing Gov't is good at is delaying and extending deadlines. We'll see how much compliance we get by 2025. I got mine 3 yrs ago
    Same here. My Real ID drivers expires in 2023.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2022)

Turn Off Ads?