Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch

My son and I picked up a Switch last month. We absolutely love it.

My son (going on 7) loves Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I do as well. Its so fun playing the tracks that pay homage to the SNES and N64 games. Really cool stuff.

I picked up Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is incredible.

We also have:

Cruisin Blast - really fun game, not much depth though
    Metroid Dread - I have not played this one yet haha

I also downloaded the N64 and SNES virtual consoles. My son cannot seem to get into the SNES games unfortunately, but he really likes the N64 games

With that said, does anyone else have a Switch? What are some must-get games I should pick up for both myself and my son? I am fully sold on this system, going to trade in my PS4, PS3, Nintendo 3DS, and my n64 and SNES games and just pick up Switch games.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-25-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nintendo Switch

I have two, RTG (one sealed). Alas, the system was basically a Zelda: BotW purchase (along with a metric ton of Amibo for the bonuses). Also bought Super Mario Kart 8, but really didn't play that much. I do know that there are a few RPG/Strategy games either ported (direct or enhanced) like Xenoblade Chronicles, Link's Awakening that look solid. And I'm a huge fan of the Fire Emblem franchise so I'd probably be playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses had the console really held my interest. I'm not a platformer guy, nor am I a big Mario fan, so the game support after BotW just wasn't there for me. Glad you're having a different experience though.

That being said, please do not trade in any good vintage N64 or SNES games for newer console games. Even some of the DS/3DS and PS3 games can hold some real value. At minimum, PM me a list of the stuff you're looking to trade in. I have a huge collection of rare games for nearly every system through the PS3. You might be surprised how much some of that stuff is worth- even rare PS2 games are through the roof. Take a look at PS2's "Haunting Ground" and "Rule of Rose"- both of which consistently sell for $300 to $450 (and more) used, depending on condition. For the PS3, most of the games in that range (or higher- see Demons Souls Deluxe new/sealed) need to be sealed and LE/Collector's editions, but there are some titles that'll bring in some good money even used ("Afrika" US version).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I have two, RTG (one sealed). Alas, the system was basically a Zelda: BotW purchase (along with a metric ton of Amibo for the bonuses). Also bought Super Mario Kart 8, but really didn't play that much. I do know that there are a few RPG/Strategy games either ported (direct or enhanced) like Xenoblade Chronicles, Link's Awakening that look solid. And I'm a huge fan of the Fire Emblem franchise so I'd probably be playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses had the console really held my interest. I'm not a platformer guy, nor am I a big Mario fan, so the game support after BotW just wasn't there for me. Glad you're having a different experience though.

That being said, please do not trade in any good vintage N64 or SNES games for newer console games. Even some of the DS/3DS and PS3 games can hold some real value. At minimum, PM me a list of the stuff you're looking to trade in. I have a huge collection of rare games for nearly every system through the PS3. You might be surprised how much some of that stuff is worth- even rare PS2 games are through the roof. Take a look at PS2's "Haunting Ground" and "Rule of Rose"- both of which consistently sell for $300 to $450 (and more) used, depending on condition. For the PS3, most of the games in that range (or higher- see Demons Souls Deluxe new/sealed) need to be sealed and LE/Collector's editions, but there are some titles that'll bring in some good money even used ("Afrika" US version).
    Yeah, I understand n64, snes, etc games are going up in price but I don’t really have anything very rare. Rarest game I have is probably Suikoden for ps1, the original copy. Which isn’t even that rare or anything. I won’t sell or trade it in though because it has sentimental value. My friend Phil borrowed it to me to play in high school, couple days later he died in a car accident. His brother told me to keep it, so it’s still on my shelf and that is where it will stay. I have quite a bit of other popular jrpg’s for snes and ps1. But nothing really worth much. I don’t know, we will see. There’s a place in Cleveland that actually gives fair value for some of this stuff. I had a copy of Mega Man X in box with the manual and poster. He gave me $100 trade in for it. Could I have kept it and it may have been worth double in 10 years? Maybe, but I wasn’t really attached to it and got a bunch of snes games I had been wanting to play for it. X is also on the mini, so if I ever get the itch can play through it that way.

I will likely trade in the ps4 first. I don’t see myself going back to it after getting the switch.

7. Likes:

SteelSD (10-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, I understand n64, snes, etc games are going up in price but I don’t really have anything very rare. Rarest game I have is probably Suikoden for ps1, the original copy. Which isn’t even that rare or anything. I won’t sell or trade it in though because it has sentimental value. My friend Phil borrowed it to me to play in high school, couple days later he died in a car accident. His brother told me to keep it, so it’s still on my shelf and that is where it will stay. I have quite a bit of other popular jrpg’s for snes and ps1. But nothing really worth much. I don’t know, we will see. There’s a place in Cleveland that actually gives fair value for some of this stuff. I had a copy of Mega Man X in box with the manual and poster. He gave me $100 trade in for it. Could I have kept it and it may have been worth double in 10 years? Maybe, but I wasn’t really attached to it and got a bunch of snes games I had been wanting to play for it. X is also on the mini, so if I ever get the itch can play through it that way.

I will likely trade in the ps4 first. I don’t see myself going back to it after getting the switch.
    Suikoden I? Yeah, @$75 if complete in excellent condition. That being one of the first ports to the Playstation network really gutted it's value. Suikoden II is another matter entirely.

Anyway, check the value on some of the stuff if you haven't done so in a while. I was floored to see what some of it's running right now (particularly lesser known horror titles).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Suikoden I? Yeah, @$75 if complete in excellent condition. That being one of the first ports to the Playstation network really gutted it's value. Suikoden II is another matter entirely.

Anyway, check the value on some of the stuff if you haven't done so in a while. I was floored to see what some of it's running right now (particularly lesser known horror titles).
    It really is incredible how much some of the stuff is worth. I had some old NES and SNES boxes that were in pretty bad shape. I actually didn't have the games that went with them. Just the boxes. Found them at my parents house. Not sure if my brother had sold the games years ago or what. Anyways, I was taking an old Sega Genesis system and games to trade in at that place in Cleveland - seriously, if you're ever in the area - https://www.videogameconnection.com/ - and I was just like "hey, do you have any of the games to go with these boxes? Is this something you would be interested in? And he said "Yes, I am more interested in these boxes than any of the games you brought in. I will give you $20 for each box. Then I mentioned I also found years and years worth of Nintendo Power magazines in my parents basement and he was like "very interested, bring them in please"

It really is incredible how much some of the stuff is worth. I had some old NES and SNES boxes that were in pretty bad shape. I actually didn't have the games that went with them. Just the boxes. Found them at my parents house. Not sure if my brother had sold the games years ago or what. Anyways, I was taking an old Sega Genesis system and games to trade in at that place in Cleveland - seriously, if you're ever in the area - https://www.videogameconnection.com/ - and I was just like "hey, do you have any of the games to go with these boxes? Is this something you would be interested in? And he said "Yes, I am more interested in these boxes than any of the games you brought in. I will give you $20 for each box. Then I mentioned I also found years and years worth of Nintendo Power magazines in my parents basement and he was like "very interested, bring them in please"
    No doubt. About once a year, I think I've finally figured out where I misplaced my Conker's Bad Fur Day N64 box and instructions to match my minty cart, but I've yet to find it nearly 20 years later. It's around here somewhere...

And I don't visit Cleveland ever, but i do have a local place that's similar. I used to constantly pillage it to build my collection. They actually stocked vintage NES, SNES, N64, Sega Dreamcast, and PS1 games on the shelf. It was crazy, and I have no idea where they got it because there couldn't be that many local trades. Multiple copies of rare vintage stuff like Valkyrie Profile, Persona I and II, Suikoden II, Brigandine, Tales of Destiny II, Powerstone 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Skies of Arcadia, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Project Justice, etc. All complete, ranging from $7.99 to $25, most near mint, and they stocked rare game guides for quite a few as well. Twice a year, they would run a half price sale on top of that and I just cleaned up.

They still have some good stuff in their system, but over the years they've figured out what it's worth. Still sell a lot of it at a discount vs online prices though, but no steals where you can constantly flip sub-$10 games for $100+ online anymore.

--Ted Williams

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Smash Bros is pretty much a must have for any Nintendo console

And if you grew up with Pokémon in the 90s, that Pokémon Legends game would be up your alley. It’s actually a bit like an open world action game, Monster Hunter-esque thing.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-27-2022)

The Lego based games are usually pretty fun with a lot of open ended stuff that you can do after your initial run thru the game. Plus he can play the game completely on his own or with you at the same time, its a very good multiplayer game as well as solo game. I'm not sure how many the switch has, but there are Lego based games for Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Jurrasic Park, Harry Potter, etc.. I'm sure some are better than others, but for a 7 year old I'd look into those titles and try one out.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-28-2022)

Mario Kart
    Mario Party
    Mario Golf
    The Show '22

Those are the games we play the most.

My son and I picked up a Switch last month. We absolutely love it.

My son (going on 7) loves Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I do as well. Its so fun playing the tracks that pay homage to the SNES and N64 games. Really cool stuff.

I picked up Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is incredible.

We also have:

Cruisin Blast - really fun game, not much depth though
    Metroid Dread - I have not played this one yet haha

I also downloaded the N64 and SNES virtual consoles. My son cannot seem to get into the SNES games unfortunately, but he really likes the N64 games

With that said, does anyone else have a Switch? What are some must-get games I should pick up for both myself and my son? I am fully sold on this system, going to trade in my PS4, PS3, Nintendo 3DS, and my n64 and SNES games and just pick up Switch games.
    These are probably more recommendations for you than your son at that age:

Hades
    Hollow Knight

Highest possible recommendation: Golf Story - great game and very funny
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?