Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2022 Season - Continued…

Re: NFL 2022 Season - Continued…

You can't have a mugging out there, especially at that point in the game. Hell, we (Bengals) lost a Super Bowl 10 months ago on a much less obvious call

2. Likes:

The Operator (12-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No question. Watson can't be properly evaluated till next yr
    I've already stated it prior, but will repeat it here (lol) .... the person who will really be on the hot seat in '23 will be Stefanski. Sure, most are giving him a pass (rightly so) because he didn't have his QB for 11 weeks (though Brissett ain't no slouch). But he better make some noise next season because he has too much talent up there. And I never thought I'd be saying that about a Cleveland Browns team (lol).

I'm old enough to remember (and enjoyed) the old AFC Central of the 70s. One bad-a** division. And I really enjoyed the Bengal-Browns rivalry (back when it meant more). QBs- Ken Anderson vs Mike Phipps/Brian Sipe. Would love to see one develop between Burrows and Watson. It's healthy for the game.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-20-2022)

You can't have a mugging out there, especially at that point in the game. Hell, we (Bengals) lost a Super Bowl 10 months ago on a much less obvious call
    Yea… that PI at the end of the Super Bowl was garbage and then they let crap like that go in a game with playoff implications for Washington?

Total screw job.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Both calls the non PI and the illegal formation where Terry Mclaurin check’s twice to make sure he was good. Terrible way to lose a game.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Right. The biggest mugging in the game was the illegal face mask and push on Ransey that enabled Higgins to get opoen on the bengals TD that changed the game for a while.
    Bengals are good at skating along the lines of the rules. It helps them win. Good teams need that. So don’t get petulant about bad refereeing. The Bengals coaches and players don’t. In a world where Dbs can get away with all kinds of illegal contact, good for Higgins that he says why not me?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Right. The biggest mugging in the game was the illegal face mask and push on Ransey that enabled Higgins to get opoen on the bengals TD that changed the game for a while.
    Bengals are good at skating along the lines of the rules. It helps them win. Good teams need that. So don’t get petulant about bad refereeing. The Bengals coaches and players don’t. In a world where Dbs can get away with all kinds of illegal contact, good for Higgins that he says why not me?
    The Higgins call was not in the last minute or two of the game. The adage is that officials swallow their whistles in crunch-time 'cause they don't want their call to determine the game. I think when it's as bad as last night, the call needs to be made.

I don't have sympathy for Washington on the illegal formation. It's not up to the official to counsel you before the play on whether you're lined up right or not. I do think it's a stupid rule and should be dropped from the rulebook

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-20-2022)

Jalen Hurts has a sprained shoulder. Interesting how none of these reports want to go on record as to which shoulder but in looking at the replays it sure looks like his throwing shoulder

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...win-over-bears

The Higgins call was not in the last minute or two of the game. The adage is that officials swallow their whistles in crunch-time 'cause they don't want their call to determine the game. I think when it's as bad as last night, the call needs to be made.

I don't have sympathy for Washington on the illegal formation. It's not up to the official to counsel you before the play on whether you're lined up right or not. I do think it's a stupid rule and should be dropped from the rulebook
    According to Peter King officials typically assist during the game as they don't want to bog the game down with hypertechnical calls...

You see McLaurin ask twice and he moves up...if you watch the video that ref is reaching for his pocket...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...k-for-the-nfl/
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    According to Peter King officials typically assist during the game as they don't want to bog the game down with hypertechnical calls...

You see McLaurin ask twice and he moves up...if you watch the video that ref is reaching for his pocket...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...k-for-the-nfl/
    Yeah, I saw that too but nowhere did I see the official tell him he's good

I guess she really thought people would take her side by posting her interaction with Giovani Bernard on twitter?

Bucs running back Giovani Bernard didn’t want to talk to the media about what happened on the botched fake punt. Here’s that interaction.

Note: As reporters, it is our job to seek clarity on what happened, especially on the most pivotal play of a game.

https://twitter.com/JennaLaineESPN/s...54008991420419
    Its good to see all the people in the replies and quote tweets sticking up for Bernard and calling her out for this.

Jalen Hurts has a sprained shoulder. Interesting how none of these reports want to go on record as to which shoulder but in looking at the replays it sure looks like his throwing shoulder

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...win-over-bears
    He got nailed, driven into the ground running the ball for a 3 yd gain. Another one of these QBs - highly athletic, exceptional ability - who puts his body out there to take a beating weekly, and is suffering the consequences. IMO, sooner or later it catches up to you, odds are against you when you keep throwing your body out there for punishment/abuse.

The opposing QB (Justin Fields) is another one. He's had an electric year, joining elite crowd of QBs who rush for 1,000+ yards/season. But he too is banged up with a separated shoulder, and was playing through leg cramps Sunday. And while it's not all his fault, his team is 3-11. Then there is Lamar Jackson who has battled injury all season, and is out/injured for the second year in a row, late in the season at a critical juncture.

It's some what ironic that the NFL has gone to great lengths in enacting rules to protect the health of the QB, minimize injury risk, and keep them n the field; but there's not much they can do to protect an option-run QB once they decide to tuck the ball and run with it - outside of a targeting hit/personal foul or the QB sliding.

I'm amazed with Josh Allen who puts his body out there also, and like Fields, leads his team in rushing yardage (700+), yet fortunately hasn't been hit with the injury bug. Then there's Deshaun Watson who has an injury history, especially with his ACLs. Torn both. One in college, and the other in practice (NFL). He also has back issues. Until his recent reinstatement, he hasn't played since 2020.

When the entire success of your team is invested in the QB position, I don't like the odds avoiding injury when it comes to the run-option QB. Again, look at the history. I'll take a pocket passer, a Joe Burrows, who is athletic, can run if need be; but his true talent is reading defensives, going thru his progression, and quickly getting rid of the ball.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

Chip R (12-20-2022),Sea Ray (12-20-2022)

Running QBs might get hurt a little more, I’d actually be curious to see stats on that, but it’s just a tough position where guys get hurt. Burrow got killed 2 seasons ago. Jimmy G, Wentz, Pickett, Stafford, Winston all have missed time this year. Baker probably ruined what was left of his career last year. Andrew Luck retired because he couldn’t stay healthy. All timers like Manning, Brady and Brees all had significant injuries that cost them most or all of an entire season at one point.

18. Likes:

GAC (12-20-2022),Revering4Blue (12-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Running QBs might get hurt a little more, I’d actually be curious to see stats on that, but it’s just a tough position where guys get hurt. Burrow got killed 2 seasons ago. Jimmy G, Wentz, Pickett, Stafford, Winston all have missed time this year. Baker probably ruined what was left of his career last year. Andrew Luck retired because he couldn’t stay healthy. All timers like Manning, Brady and Brees all had significant injuries that cost them most or all of an entire season at one point.
    Absolutely true. It's a violent sport. And all it takes is one good (or illegal) hit. Carson Palmer and Joe Burrows are just two examples. Theisman's was one of the nastiest. So it shows us how easy it is to break a QB (lol). I look at it as a percentage game, and you try to do what you can to decrease the percentage, put the odds in your favor. The more you're the ball carrier, the more hits your body is taking, and the odds/risk of injury is greater.

Secondly, there's the issue of physique. And while they have the physique that enables them to move like a gazelle, these lean, agile, athletic QBs, do not have the build/body mass designed to take a consistent beating.

But something these run-option QBs have done to change the game (imo) - leaner LBers so they have the speed/mobility to catch a Jackson (lol).

20. Likes:

Chip R (12-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Absolutely true. It's a violent sport. And all it takes is one good (or illegal) hit. Carson Palmer and Joe Burrows are just two examples. Theisman's was one of the nastiest. So it shows us how easy it is to break a QB (lol). I look at it as a percentage game, and you try to do what you can to decrease the percentage, put the odds in your favor. The more you're the ball carrier, the more hits your body is taking, and the odds/risk of injury is greater.

Secondly, there's the issue of physique. And while they have the physique that enables them to move like a gazelle, these lean, agile, athletic QBs, do not have the build/body mass designed to take a consistent beating.

But something these run-option QBs have done to change the game (imo) - leaner LBers so they have the speed/mobility to catch a Jackson (lol).
    Burrow's was among the worst I have seen. And I saw Theisman's when it happened too. The only thing that made Theisman's worse, is that halfway decent instant replay technology was relatively new, so they kept showing it over and over again from like 30 different speeds and angles. Whereas with Burrow's injury, they only showed the replay once. That was enough. Burrow got his leg snapped in 3 different pieces, from full speed contact coming from two different guys at opposite angles. It's amazing he is back in action and playing at the level he is playing at.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I think it's not necessarily the big hits guys take that put them out - like Burrow or Dalton - but the cumulative amount of hits they take over the years. A lot of these guys - like Josh Allen - aren't sliding to avoid contact. They are dishing it right out to the defenses. And while that may seem cool, I agree that if they keep doing that, odds are they will get hurt and while the injuries may not be debilitating, they may cause them to lose effectiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?