Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022 Part 2

Re: NCAA Football 2022 Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is the thing with Iowa, their D is legit good. Probably one of the best defenses in the country. They have top tier NFL players at multiple levels of their defense. The problem is their offense is putrid, absolutely putrid. I don't think Iowa can ever build something like Michigan has, they just recruit at that level. If you look at their current offensive structure, with Brian Ferentz at OC, what QB in their right mind would go to Iowa? There are probably 50 other P5 programs as well as some top tier G5 programs that offer more attractive options at QB than Iowa. And that starts to trickle down, no WR's are going to go there because their QB is garbage.
    Much like Ohio for OSU, any HS QB that is great will go to Iowa if offered. It's their dream to play in Kinnick. Iowa's offense has got worse every year for the past several years. Joe Burrow could play there and look maybe not awful but ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That’s probably fair on Iowa. Certainly without crazy levels of nepotism he would have been fired by now.
    The funny thing about this is Iowa (not sure if it's the state or university) has an anti-nepotism law/rule. So to get around it to hire Ferentz fils, they made him report directly to the AD, not his father. Papa Ferentz has a $40M buyout so it's unlikely they are firing him. It's possible that he may retire in 3 years when he turns 70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Clemson at 4 is…something.
    Look at 20-25, that is how they validate the Clemson ranking. NC State, Syracuse, and Wake all round out the top 25, but it gives them 3 top 25 wins against teams that just aren't that good.

Also, you want to get some insight on why Alabama is ranked over an undefeated TCU team? Look no further than Texas being the only three loss team in the field.

It may be a conspiracy theory of mine, but if you look at the latter half of the rankings, they are used to explain why they rank the teams where they do.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-02-2022),RedTeamGo! (11-02-2022)

Look at 20-25, that is how they validate the Clemson ranking. NC State, Syracuse, and Wake all round out the top 25, but it gives them 3 top 25 wins against teams that just aren't that good.

Also, you want to get some insight on why Alabama is ranked over an undefeated TCU team? Look no further than Texas being the only three loss team in the field.

It may be a conspiracy theory of mine, but if you look at the latter half of the rankings, they are used to explain why they rank the teams where they do.
    Yeah the committee is a dumb idea. By the end of the season it almost always mirrors what the BCS formula would have been, so probably should just go back to using math.

Also if the general idea of this is to just promote the sport and they don’t really matter at this point, why not make Georgia 2 and you can have a 1 v 2 matchup this weekend?

Little matters less than the top 4 in these early polls. That's all going to work itself out. Where the one loss teams stack up is where the action is.

I hope Clemson doesn't end in the top 4. If they do that will be a blowout game for whoever is ranked number 1. Clemson just ain't that good.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Much like Ohio for OSU, any HS QB that is great will go to Iowa if offered. It's their dream to play in Kinnick. Iowa's offense has got worse every year for the past several years. Joe Burrow could play there and look maybe not awful but ordinary.

The funny thing about this is Iowa (not sure if it's the state or university) has an anti-nepotism law/rule. So to get around it to hire Ferentz fils, they made him report directly to the AD, not his father. Papa Ferentz has a $40M buyout so it's unlikely they are firing him. It's possible that he may retire in 3 years when he turns 70.
    I get the first part, but at some point Iowa is going to have to change its offense. Just looking back at the last 5 classes or so, the top rated QB in state QB did not go to Iowa. And the only one I have really heard of, Max Duggan went to TCU. The also lost one to in state ISU.

I get the allure of playing in Kinnick stadium, but if Day or Riley or Saben or (insert new offensive genius) comes calling, are you really going to go to Iowa? I mean I love OSU, but had Harvard or Princeton come calling, I don't think I would be an OSU grad.

Yeah the committee is a dumb idea. By the end of the season it almost always mirrors what the BCS formula would have been, so probably should just go back to using math.

Also if the general idea of this is to just promote the sport and they don’t really matter at this point, why not make Georgia 2 and you can have a 1 v 2 matchup this weekend?
    To a certain extent I think the committee is a good idea. There may be some gaps in the system, but they get it right more often than not. I will say this, they have never put a team in who was one of the best 4 in the country but didn't have the resume to back it up. So in essence they are operating like a computer, but not always getting the best teams in.

I just can't but the idea that the committee has watched Clemson play football this year and thinks they are a top 4 team.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-07-2022)

I get the first part, but at some point Iowa is going to have to change its offense. Just looking back at the last 5 classes or so, the top rated QB in state QB did not go to Iowa. And the only one I have really heard of, Max Duggan went to TCU. The also lost one to in state ISU.

I get the allure of playing in Kinnick stadium, but if Day or Riley or Saben or (insert new offensive genius) comes calling, are you really going to go to Iowa? I mean I love OSU, but had Harvard or Princeton come calling, I don't think I would be an OSU grad.
    Iowa is screwed if they can only get an instate QB. I can't remember the last time Tennessee had an instate QB lead them. You gotta recruit out of state. If you can't then therein lies the problem

I just can't but the idea that the committee has watched Clemson play football this year and thinks they are a top 4 team.
    I just don't see why anyone cares? Clemson is either going to win all their games and be in the playoff, or they're not going to win all their games and not be in the playoff. If Michigan beats Ohio State (without slipping up before that), they're clearly jumping Clemson no matter what Clemson does.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I just don't see why anyone cares? Clemson is either going to win all their games and be in the playoff, or they're not going to win all their games and not be in the playoff. If Michigan beats Ohio State (without slipping up before that), they're clearly jumping Clemson no matter what Clemson does.
    My guess is that the gripe lies with the loser of the UM vs OSU game. Big Ten fans likely want that team ranked above Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is that the gripe lies with the loser of the UM vs OSU game. Big Ten fans likely want that team ranked above Clemson
    I don't give a damn. The reason they produce the rankings is to talk about it and garner interest.

This weeks raking means little to nothing. Its fodder to talk about, and thats about it. You can mark it down with absolute certainty that the final playoff rankings will not resemble what was put out last night.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-07-2022),westofyou (11-02-2022)

I don't give a damn. The reason they produce the rankings is to talk about it and garner interest.

This weeks raking means little to nothing. Its fodder to talk about, and thats about it. You can mark it down with absolute certainty that the final playoff rankings will not resemble what was put out last night.
    The first ever playoff rankings had Mississippi St ranked #1
    What would you say.....ya do here?

TCU is the only party that I think has a valid annoyance , but even at #7 they have a clear path if they win out. Also, they're not going to win out.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-07-2022),RedTeamGo! (11-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OSU scored over 50 on 'em, more than they've scored on any team this year except a MAC school. Iowa is a hard nosed defense but they're slow afoot. You can't be one of the top defenses in the country and be slow afoot
    Matt Miller said he thinks 3 Iowa defenders will be top 50 picks. It's a really good defense. OSU got it moving in the second half, but 54 points was not an accurate reflection of OSU's offensive output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Matt Miller said he thinks 3 Iowa defenders will be top 50 picks. It's a really good defense. OSU got it moving in the second half, but 54 points was not an accurate reflection of OSU's offensive output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can’t find it now, but someone ran a model that said the game would have been closer if Iowa would have just punted on first down every time.

22. Likes:

Chip R (11-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?