Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Mets tried to trade for Alexis Diaz this summer

Re: Mets tried to trade for Alexis Diaz this summer

I like Diaz fine, but I think he pitched over his head last year. He’s a solid reliever but I don’t think he’s an elite reliever. If they could get a guy like Baty (doubtful IMO) don’t think twice, just do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Statcast puts Diaz’s fastball ranking in the 100th percentile. I think a lot of you are seriously discounting him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Statcast puts Diaz’s fastball ranking in the 100th percentile. I think a lot of you are seriously discounting him here.
    Saying we should trade Diaz for Brett Batty isn't discounting him IMO. It's just acknowledging that RP are volatile, and that the Reds are so far away from contending they need good everyday players more than RP right now. Once we have the foundation of SP and a good everyday lineup then you get the RP needed to be a legit contender.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Saying we should trade Diaz for Brett Batty isn't discounting him IMO. It's just acknowledging that RP are volatile, and that the Reds are so far away from contending they need good everyday players more than RP right now. Once we have the foundation of SP and a good everyday lineup then you get the RP needed to be a legit contender.
    That’s not what I’m referring to, I would probably pull the trigger on that trade as well.

I’m just saying a handful here have said he’s pitched over his head, speak like he’s just as likely to flop as he is to continue to improve, referring to him as a lottery ticket etc. - I think the guy is getting sold short here.

(And I do disagree about relievers being part of a rebuilding core - as RTG pointed out bullpens are more important now than they’ve ever been, I see no reason why you wouldn’t covet a potentially top tier reliever as much as you would any other kind of controllable & promising young player)

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Minor league numbers and pedigree count for something, too. His ERA was over 4.

I guess scouting comes into play, too, of course. I am not saying they wouldn't want him in their organization, I am just saying that a top-50 can get way more.

Teams also hord prospects these days more than in the 90's.
    Conversely, the only time his xFIP was above 4 as a minor leaguer was in 2015 as an 18 year old in rookie ball, and his FIP was also below 4 every year except for then and 2018. He also had a couple FIP years below 3 as a prospect. So I think just looking at his MiLB ERA doesn’t tell the full story.

That’s not what I’m referring to, I would probably pull the trigger on that trade as well.

I’m just saying a handful here have said he’s pitched over his head, speak like he’s just as likely to flop as he is to continue to improve, referring to him as a lottery ticket etc. - I think the guy is getting sold short here.

(And I do disagree about relievers being part of a rebuilding core - as RTG pointed out bullpens are more important now than they’ve ever been, I see no reason why you wouldn’t covet a potentially top tier reliever as much as you would any other kind of controllable & promising young player)
    Reading back over the thread, I think you are overreacting a bit to the "criticism" of Diaz. I don't get a sense of "trade him before he turns into a pumpkin". I think it is fair, however, to acknowledge the potential warts

Rafael Montero just signed a three-year, $34.5M contract.

Good relievers are getting more and more expensive, more and more valuable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Yeah, that’s my point. Only way I’m trading a controlled quality reliever is for a big overpay. Baty isn’t Alvarez. He’s a good OF prospect.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

HokieRed (11-13-2022),Wonderful Monds (11-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Rafael Montero just signed a three-year, $34.5M contract.

Good relievers are getting more and more expensive, more and more valuable.
    Will be interested to see where this goes. Are these most recent reliever contract outliers? Teams can't/won't spend up everywhere. Does this mean teams will spend less on starters? Reds need to find and capitalize on those market inefficiencies if they want to keep a lower 3rd payroll

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Reading back over the thread, I think you are overreacting a bit to the "criticism" of Diaz. I don't get a sense of "trade him before he turns into a pumpkin". I think it is fair, however, to acknowledge the potential warts
    I mean of course he has warts, but I also don’t think that he’s this big mystery unknown factor as the vibe I’m getting from a few posts gives me.

I mean of course he has warts, but I also don’t think that he’s this big mystery unknown factor as the vibe I’m getting from a few posts gives me.
    I can't really speak for anyone else but I don't think he's an unknown but rather someone I wouldn't put into the "franchise cornerstones" category yet. Coupled with the fact that he's a reliever means I'd be very willing to trade him in the right deal. If he repeats 2022 for even half a season, I may feel differently

I don't trade Diaz. We've been lucky to find a cheap closer that allows money to be spent elsewhere. His timeline with Lodolo and Greene is nice as we have 2 SP and closer set for next 5 years. Don't overthink it.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-13-2022)

So, hear me out.

In the wake of the Correa signing, Mets are absolutely going for it in the biggest way. They would LOVE to have Ed Diaz’ brother on the MLB team. Just reading some Mets articles, they plan to keep building their pen for 2023.

Mets probably don’t give a hoot about prospects now. Most of their top prospects are probably available for the right deal. If there’s a now team in MLB, the Mets are it.

I would revisit their interest in Diaz if I were Krall.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-22-2022 at 08:24 AM.

18. Likes:

mth123 (12-22-2022),Old school 1983 (12-22-2022),REDREAD (12-22-2022),Tuff Nut (12-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So, hear me out.

In the wake of the Correa signing, Mets are absolutely going for it in the biggest way. They would LOVE to have Ed Diaz’ brother on the MLB team. Just reading some Mets articles, they plan to keep building their pen for 2023.

Mets probably don’t give a hoot about prospects now. Most of their top prospects are probably available for the right deal. If there’s a now team in MLB, the Mets are it.

I'm on board with this. Relievers are fickle, especially ones that burst on the scene out of nowhere like Alexis did last year. I picture him coming back to earth this season.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So, hear me out.

I'd love to see the Reds target David Peterson in a deal. He's a southpaw with high K (and BB) totals. He's young too. Doesn 't seem to give up many HR. Might shine him up for a year or two, then deal for a monster return. (Or he might turn into a relative pumpkin.)

Turn Off Ads?