Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the #7 prospect?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Siani

1 2.50%
  • Andrew Abbott

1 2.50%
  • Jay Allen II

0 0%
  • Levi Stoudt

0 0%
  • Victor Acosta

0 0%
  • Brandon Williamson

2 5.00%
  • Spencer Steer

9 22.50%
  • Sal Stewart

0 0%
  • Chase Petty

26 65.00%
  • Connor Phillips

0 0%
  • Rece Hinds

1 2.50%
  • Joe Boyle

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redszone 2022 Top 40 prospects Poll: #7

Re: Redszone 2022 Top 40 prospects Poll: #7

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    That seems like the relevant list at this point. I still like Williamson in one of the next three or four slots; question is whether he's the 21 or 22 version. Most difficult player to rank for me--and actually by far--is not yet on the board. Austin Hendrick. 35% roughly K rate but 13-14% W rate this year and 20% as a 20 year old at A ball in 2021. More than 50% of his hits for XB. Possibly a CF? How on earth do you evaluate that/
    Hendrick is a tough one. I'm higher on him than I was a year ago for all the reasons you mention. I voted Petty here. My next 5 are probably

Steer
    Boyle
    Williamson
    Phillips
    Abbot

After them, I probably go with Hendrick followed by Roa and Bonin. Not as high on Callahan or Hinds as others may be and Stewart is a 1B/DH who has to hit, so I want to see him do that in full season ball before ranking him above more known players. Need to learn more about Acuna and other younger guys as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

HokieRed (11-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hendrick is a tough one. I'm higher on him than I was a year ago for all the reasons you mention. I voted Petty here. My next 5 are probably

Steer
    Boyle
    Williamson
    Phillips
    Abbot

After them, I probably go with Hendrick followed by Roa and Bonin. Not as high on Callahan or Hinds as others may be and Stewart is a 1B/DH who has to hit, so I want to see him do that in full season ball before ranking him above more known players. Need to learn more about Acuna and other younger guys as well.
    I'm ok with putting Acuna, Hendrick, Roa, and Bonnin on the board next if they're going to be getting votes soon enough. Ricardo Cabrera is also in the mix of what's next as far as younger guys go.
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 11-07-2022 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Also similar to Ashcraft, he doesn't K as many people as his stuff suggests he should-- part of that is his delivery. It's tailor-made for ground balls, but little else. In Cincinnati, that's just fine: ground ball pitchers can absolutely succeed here. Especially if they have the movement Petty does.
    Maybe Petty has enough youth and other positives to succeed, but I just hate the “heavy” fastball profile in today’s game. The small uptick in groundball rate rarely offsets the fact that their ostensibly big velo is getting barreled all game long.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Maybe Petty has enough youth and other positives to succeed, but I just hate the “heavy” fastball profile in today’s game. The small uptick in groundball rate rarely offsets the fact that their ostensibly big velo is getting barreled all game long.
    He has bunches of movement on his fastball, slider, and changeup (when it flashes).

Why would his pitches get barrelled at a higher rate than someone who throws higher in the zone?

(Especially considering he has flat collarbones, which makes throwing that near side-arm style much less injury-prone?)

If he can find that 97-99 mph fastball, 95 mph sinker, and 88 mph slider release point consistently, he's going to end up being a workhorse MOR guy whose "mistake" pitches end up largely drilled into the ground rather than over the fence.

I'd like to see McGarry added to the list.

#7 is decided Petty is 15 votes ahead. Let’s move on to the next poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    #7 is decided Petty is 15 votes ahead. Let’s move on to the next poll.
    I agree. I would think from this point on, if anyone were to get 10 votes ahead, they probably have it wrapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    I agree. I would think from this point on, if anyone were to get 10 votes ahead, they probably have it wrapped up.
    Maybe podgejeff doesn't have time to post these every day. I'm just happy he's doing this, pretty sure we skipped last year and maybe even the year prior.

Thanks for bringing it back jeff!

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-07-2022),757690 (11-07-2022),camisadelgolf (11-07-2022),HokieRed (11-08-2022),podgejeff_ (11-08-2022),WrongVerb (11-07-2022)

I would like Hines added to the list, please.

Hines?

When I get the time to I don't mind ending them early if it's a runaway like this. I'll get the next one started.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're talking about Rece Hinds, he's already on there.

Turn Off Ads?