Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

My take on the Reds is that they are on a payroll cutting mission.

They have now traded or let go of every salary above two and a half million except LTCs Votto and Moose. And those guys are very, very difficult to trade.

My expectation is they have no more than $20 million, total, to add several stop gaps. Kevin Newman included.

I’d be shocked if they signed a Bellinger.

I see a number of $2-5 million pickups, a catcher, couple of cheap pitchers, Newman, maybe a stop gap cheap OF.

I expect less spending than last off-season because they don’t have as much to offset with cuts. That’s why the Farmer trade was inevitable, he was a salary they could lop off.

I hope I’m wrong, or at least that this payroll cutting will be short-lived. Just an opinion, one poster’s reading of the situation.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-23-2022 at 10:45 AM.

2. Likes:

LeatherPants (11-23-2022),Sea Ray (11-23-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My take on the Reds is that they are on a payroll cutting mission.

They have now traded or let go of every salary above two and a half million except LTCs Votto and Moose. And those guys are very, very difficult to trade.

My expectation is they have no more than $20 million, total, to add several stop gaps. Kevin Newman included.

I’d be shocked if they signed a Bellinger.

I see a number of $2-5 million pickups, a catcher, couple of cheap pitchers, Newman, maybe a stop gap cheap OF.

I expect less spending than last off-season because they don’t have as much to offset with cuts. That’s why the Farmer trade was inevitable, he was a salary they could lop off.

I hope I’m wrong, or at least that this payroll cutting will be short-lived. Just an opinion, one poster’s reading of the situation.
    Every single article that comes out mentions that they are already near their limits on payroll, and that they have a little to spend. I think $20 million is a pipe dream.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds have more holes to fill this offseason than last. Last offseason they needed a LF and #5 starter and RH bat off the bench. This off season they need a CF, a corner OF, a catcher to split the time with Stephenson, and two back of the rotation starting pitchers. That’s gonna cost a lot more than $20M.

They also need bullpen help, but they needed that last year too, and did little to address it.

Maybe they don’t fill all their needs due to an extremely low payroll, but if they do want to fill all their holes in the roster for 2023, they will need to spend more than they did last off season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Every single article that comes out mentions that they are already near their limits on payroll, and that they have a little to spend. I think $20 million is a pipe dream.
    I said no more than $20 million aggregate. I have no specific number in mind. They usually do something to keep fans interested, my view is it will be very modest.

As for 75’s view on filling holes, the budget will drive that train. Rebuilds are for savings.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds have more holes to fill this offseason than last. Last offseason they needed a LF and #5 starter and RH bat off the bench. This off season they need a CF, a corner OF, a catcher to split the time with Stephenson, and two back of the rotation starting pitchers. That’s gonna cost a lot more than $20M.

They also need bullpen help, but they needed that last year too, and did little to address it.

Maybe they don’t fill all their needs due to an extremely low payroll, but if they do want to fill all their holes in the roster for 2023, they will need to spend more than they did last off season.
    Just because the Reds have more holes does not means they are willing to spend more to fill them.
    I wish they would attempt to do so, but not holding my breath.

9. Likes:

757690 (11-23-2022)

Other than catcher, I think the reds are done on the position side.

Stephenson
    Votto
    Steer
    Barrero
    India
    Friedl
    Senzel
    Fraley
    Newman
    Solak
    Fairchild
    Reynolds or Lopez
    Back-up catcher.

I think they'll bide their time with those guys while waiting for Siani, De La Cruz, McLain, Encarnacion-Strand and eventually Marte. Other like McGarry, Hopkins, maybe Cerda might get a look here and there.

I could see them adding a starting pitcher and a reliever in big league free agency and the rest will be non-roster guys and minor league hopefuls. Personally, I'd rather they sign one building block starting pitcher (not necessarily an Ace, but a solid guy who they can keep beyond 2023) than spread it around to a bunch of fringe dudes and has beens.

Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft
    Big League signing
    Pick 'em

Diaz
    Antone
    Cheap Free agent lefty
    Cessa
    SanMartin
    Santillan
    Farmer
    AAA Shuttle (Probably Overton to start out).

They might take a rule 5 reliever or two and if they look like guys they want to try on the 26 man roster, they can move Santillan to the AAA Shuttle group and Overton might be the 5th starter. I don't see a lot of big-league players coming this winter.

Edit: Forgot Moose (easy to forget). He'll probably take that spot I show as Reynolds/Lopez and be the DH against RHP, at least to begin the season. Makes me even more convinced that the Reds aren't going to be adding position players.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-23-2022 at 12:21 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-23-2022)

My uneducated probably wrong guess on what the Reds will get this offseason:

A true CF - around $10M
    A true BOR starter - around $10M
    A catcher to spilt time with Stephenson - around $5M
    A few corner OF projects, similar to Drury, Moran signings - around $2-3M total
    A few BOR starter projects - around $2-3M total
    A few bullpen projects - around $2-3M total

That’s around $30M total.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My uneducated probably wrong guess on what the Reds will get this offseason:

A true CF - around $10M
    A true BOR starter - around $10M
    A catcher to spilt time with Stephenson - around $5M
    A few corner OF projects, similar to Drury, Moran signings - around $2-3M total
    A few BOR starter projects - around $2-3M total
    A few bullpen projects - around $2-3M total

That’s around $30M total.
    OTOH, they don't have to sign anyone (gulp). They can just wait for the leftovers and issue a bunch of minor league contracts with an invite. Then have a competition for a few spots and keep their powder dry for 2024 while their prospects mature.

14. Likes:

757690 (11-23-2022),REDREAD (11-23-2022),Roy Tucker (11-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The reason you bring Cody in is to try to buy a prospect. Is there enough reward with him for the risk, just to buy a prospect who may or may not turn into anything.

I mean, I'd do it, but the Reds are cheap idiots.
    I am going to not completely disagree.. It's not a bad idea to bring in Bellinger to flip for a prospect.
    But let's say the Reds have 12 million to spend. Why not just try to fix the bullpen or bring in a MOR starter on a 2-3 year contract? (Or a BOR guy.. the point is a legit starting pitcher)
    IMO, that helps the Reds more long term. The prospects we got last year for our FAs really weren't that earth shattering.
    I mean, I know they have to sign some one year stopgaps just to fill the roster out, but the goal this season should be to acquire a guy with
    experience that will help us over the next 2-3+ years, even if that means a trade.
    I fear the Reds feel they can sleep for 5 years, and then suddenly decide they want to win and then gain about 30 wins in one offseason. That's
    almost impossible to pull off.
    The team has been burnt down as much as humanly possible. The farm is stocked. Time to do the "Build" part of "rebuild".
    Last edited by REDREAD; 11-23-2022 at 04:30 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

NC Reds (11-27-2022),Revering4Blue (11-23-2022),wally post (11-25-2022)

Aquino signed with Chunichi Dragons of NPB according to Morosi tweet. Good luck to AA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-27-2022 at 11:30 AM.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-28-2022),Always Red (11-28-2022),HokieRed (11-27-2022),JarrodOnVinyl (11-27-2022),Mitri (11-27-2022),NC Reds (11-27-2022),Old school 1983 (11-27-2022),Ron Madden (11-27-2022),Roy Tucker (11-27-2022),Tom Servo (11-27-2022),WildcatFan (11-27-2022),WrongVerb (11-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Bellinger is a nice idea and all but he is going to sign with a better team that will actually spend some money, that ain't us.
    That's probably true, but is there a player more in need of a "prove it" contract than Bellinger? 1 year, Mutual option. $10M could do it. gives the Reds a year to percolate some minor league talent, maybe see if Barerro can hit and possibly transition to CF once EDLC is ready.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it makes sense for both sides to make it happen. There are other hitter friendly parks for Bellinger. But not a ton of vacancies. If he wants a multi year deal he has to prove the power is still there. Cincinnati is a great place to fake that proof.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That's probably true, but is there a player more in need of a "prove it" contract than Bellinger? 1 year, Mutual option. $10M could do it. gives the Reds a year to percolate some minor league talent, maybe see if Barerro can hit and possibly transition to CF once EDLC is ready.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it makes sense for both sides to make it happen. There are other hitter friendly parks for Bellinger. But not a ton of vacancies. If he wants a multi year deal he has to prove the power is still there. Cincinnati is a great place to fake that proof.
    There's a couple reports out there that he's talking with the Rockies, which is an even greater place to fake that proof (that's assuming front offices don't understand what park effects are).

Centerfield in the big leagues is such a vast wasteland of crap, I'm sure teams will line up to pay Bellinger $10 Million. I'd guess the bidding will go a lot higher than that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

JCM11 (11-28-2022),REDREAD (11-28-2022),Revering4Blue (11-28-2022),Ron Madden (11-28-2022)

That's probably true, but is there a player more in need of a "prove it" contract than Bellinger? 1 year, Mutual option. $10M could do it.
    In more need?

Probably not.

In need?

Absolutely.

Joey Gallo, Wil Myers (who'd be cheaper), Miguel Sano (ditto), David Price, Aroldis Chapman (cheaper), Trey Macini (maybe?)-- there are lots and lots of options. Most of them, unfortunately, don't play CF.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I’m invested in the next couple of seasons just to see how all these high level prospects develop and if it produces a better team. 2 years and that’s it. If the Reds are no better off then than they are now, I’m moving my loyalties elsewhere. I’m close to hating this organization. It won’t take a huge push to get me there.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2022),wolfboy (11-28-2022)

Turn Off Ads?