Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Moustakas brings nothing new. It’s reported in multiple spots they’re looking to be shed of him.
    Intriguing. Cutting him would make a needed statement: "We'd rather lose 105 games without him, than lose 100 with him."

Though those numbers are probably backward.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

nm
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-07-2022 at 02:03 AM.

It's depressing. Cubs now joining the " Winning is the goal for 2023" while the Reds are holding a development squad to loose 100+ games again. All these millions being poured out so far for free agents and the Reds say they can't afford anything outside the flea market. Funny how covid ONLY effected the Reds and not the other 29 teams. This is a total lie being spouted out by Reds ownership. If over half of the teams were tanking I might believe some of it. Until Bob shows us proof, I will not believe a word they say.

What irks me more is how they insult the intelligence of their own fan base. What was the point of that lockout? The Reds team was way better before it and way worse after it. I so badly wanted to win that 2 billion dollar lottery a month or so ago so I could have bought them, fired every one of the owners group. Get Johnny Bench on board and get a group together to get the Reds quicker to winning. My youngest daughter was rooting for me. My wife was ehh not as excited but knows my passion about the Reds. It was a nice dream but sadly back to reality. When will us old timers ever see the Reds win again?

It's heartbreaking. You poor your heart and soul into a team and the owner who gave you hope, coming from the Cardinals where winning every year is their goal, its mostly been a failure. Just sputtering of 5 years out of 17. Cardinals never rebuild, they go get pieces along with their draft picks. They don't rely on ONLY drafting. That's how you win. This so-called plan of drafting and only development at the ML level will keep the Reds behind for the next 5 to 6 years. Then guess what?
    They will say they can't afford India, Greene, Lodobo or Stephenson and back to starting over. How in the heck can you win spinning wheels? How can you tell your fan base with a straight face knowing you made a promise when you bought the team to Bring Championship Baseball back to Cincinnati and anything short was a failure, yet zero accountability in the ownership group?

Sorry for the venting. I'm just mad the Reds are now the 90's Bengals. Look how long it took the Bengals to be this good. And they only play 17 games a reg season.
    Last edited by Redsfan6272; 12-07-2022 at 07:19 AM.

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If I thought they signed him to be on the big-league team. I'd be right there with you. Seems like more of an assistant coach for spring training type to me. Catch some of these pitchers who all need to throw and there aren't enough guys to catch them and see if you pick up anything that may help them improve in the process. Pretty sure guys like Vellojin and Free wouldn't be able to do that, but we may see them getting an invitation as a non-roster guy as well anyway.

As far as this reds pitching staff goes, mediocre would be an improvement over half the staff likely to make the 26-man roster.
    I would have expected that guy to be a 34 year old who has bounced around MLB rosters, not a 27 year old with no MLB experience. I guess it's probably a sign the Reds have been doing more MiLB scouting than MLB scouting in recent months...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I would have expected that guy to be a 34 year old who has bounced around MLB rosters, not a 27 year old with no MLB experience. I guess it's probably a sign the Reds have been doing more MiLB scouting than MLB scouting in recent months...
    Probably can't get a guy like that on a minor league deal with no hope of making the team. If they've bounced around the majors, they probably don't need the money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Probably can't get a guy like that on a minor league deal with no hope of making the team. If they've bounced around the majors, they probably don't need the money.
    Krall said himself he's open to a 3rd catcher on the 26 man so, unless he's lying, he's trying to sell that hope. I feel like they must see SOMETHING in this guy to lock him down in early December. February/March seems to be more appropriate for "just a camp body"

I didn't mean to make this a whole thing, just raised an eyebrow

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    It's depressing. Cubs now joining the " Winning is the goal for 2023" while the Reds are holding a development squad to loose 100+ games again. All these millions being poured out so far for free agents and the Reds say they can't afford anything outside the flea market. Funny how covid ONLY effected the Reds and not the other 29 teams. This is a total lie being spouted out by Reds ownership. If over half of the teams were tanking I might believe some of it. Until Bob shows us proof, I will not believe a word they say.

What irks me more is how they insult the intelligence of their own fan base. What was the point of that lockout? The Reds team was way better before it and way worse after it. I so badly wanted to win that 2 billion dollar lottery a month or so ago so I could have bought them, fired every one of the owners group. Get Johnny Bench on board and get a group together to get the Reds quicker to winning. My youngest daughter was rooting for me. My wife was ehh not as excited but knows my passion about the Reds. It was a nice dream but sadly back to reality. When will us old timers ever see the Reds win again?

It's heartbreaking. You poor your heart and soul into a team and the owner who gave you hope, coming from the Cardinals where winning every year is their goal, its mostly been a failure. Just sputtering of 5 years out of 17. Cardinals never rebuild, they go get pieces along with their draft picks. They don't rely on ONLY drafting. That's how you win. This so-called plan of drafting and only development at the ML level will keep the Reds behind for the next 5 to 6 years. Then guess what?
    They will say they can't afford India, Greene, Lodobo or Stephenson and back to starting over. How in the heck can you win spinning wheels? How can you tell your fan base with a straight face knowing you made a promise when you bought the team to Bring Championship Baseball back to Cincinnati and anything short was a failure, yet zero accountability in the ownership group?

Sorry for the venting. I'm just mad the Reds are now the 90's Bengals. Look how long it took the Bengals to be this good. And they only play 17 games a reg season.
    Some of these teams, Reds included, seem headed to a crossroads. FA prices are getting higher, teams are spending more to keep up. A star is $300 million. A solid starting pitcher (non-star) is $70 million guaranteed.

The Reds new strategy is to hoard prospects - but they are running out of veterans to trade for a haul. Maybe soon they’ll trade a Stephenson, he’d bring back a haul. But at some point, you’re stuck with your draft choices and maybe some international signings. Not sure how that could ever be enough.

I don’t know how it all washes out, but seems to me that there will be a day of reckoning at some point. Not sure the larger markets and MLB in general will accept this forever. Or the paying customers of some teams. Increasingly difficult situation IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-07-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yeah, IÂ’ve read about Moustakas too. IÂ’m confident that itÂ’s a top priority for Reds to find a way to trade him.

Hope it doesnÂ’t cost them too much in the player exchange, if it happens.
    I too am a lifelong Reds fan, born into the Big Red Machine era and suffering for the most part since they traded Tony Perez to the Expos. That said I keep clinging to the hope that they'll again be relevant. Just saying that to get it off my chest. On the topic of Moustakas, I have a hypothetical to run out there. Amidst all the non news the Reds are making, this is just a simple "if the pieces lined up and you were able to make this trade, would you do it?" This is not based on rumor, just thinking of who possibly would want him, who else has a bad contract they want to move, and how to get it done.

Only team I can think of that would want Moustakas would be the Royals. He has history there, would provide a veteran presence and they are not completely settled at 3B. They would not likely take on more than a tiny fraction of the money owed to him.
    Yankees want to shed themselves of Aaron Hicks bad contract - little over 30 million total for the next 3 seasons.

Reds send Moose to KC, Reds get Hicks, KC sends an A ball pitcher with a 6+ era to the Yankees. Reds and Yankees swap money owed to the contracts. For NYY they have a one time hit, but still save 5 million or so. The Reds get rid of Moose and get themselves into a different reclamation project, but at least one at a position of need. The Reds would be risking additional sunk cost in taking on Hicks' contract. Just posing the question, would you do it? I'm not really trying to open the can of worms about why the deal wouldn't work entirely, just if it was on the table, yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    I too am a lifelong Reds fan, born into the Big Red Machine era and suffering for the most part since they traded Tony Perez to the Expos. That said I keep clinging to the hope that they'll again be relevant. Just saying that to get it off my chest. On the topic of Moustakas, I have a hypothetical to run out there. Amidst all the non news the Reds are making, this is just a simple "if the pieces lined up and you were able to make this trade, would you do it?" This is not based on rumor, just thinking of who possibly would want him, who else has a bad contract they want to move, and how to get it done.

Only team I can think of that would want Moustakas would be the Royals. He has history there, would provide a veteran presence and they are not completely settled at 3B. They would not likely take on more than a tiny fraction of the money owed to him.
    Yankees want to shed themselves of Aaron Hicks bad contract - little over 30 million total for the next 3 seasons.

Reds send Moose to KC, Reds get Hicks, KC sends an A ball pitcher with a 6+ era to the Yankees. Reds and Yankees swap money owed to the contracts. For NYY they have a one time hit, but still save 5 million or so. The Reds get rid of Moose and get themselves into a different reclamation project, but at least one at a position of need. The Reds would be risking additional sunk cost in taking on Hicks' contract. Just posing the question, would you do it? I'm not really trying to open the can of worms about why the deal wouldn't work entirely, just if it was on the table, yay or nay?
    Nay. Just release Moose and eat the contract.

12. Likes:

malcontent (12-08-2022)

Some of these teams, Reds included, seem headed to a crossroads. FA prices are getting higher, teams are spending more to keep up. A star is $300 million. A solid starting pitcher (non-star) is $70 million guaranteed.

The Reds new strategy is to hoard prospects - but they are running out of veterans to trade for a haul. Maybe soon they’ll trade a Stephenson, he’d bring back a haul. But at some point, you’re stuck with your draft choices and maybe some international signings. Not sure how that could ever be enough.

I don’t know how it all washes out, but seems to me that there will be a day of reckoning at some point. Not sure the larger markets and MLB in general will accept this forever. Or the paying customers of some teams. Increasingly difficult situation IMO.
    Stephenson and India absolutely are next on the trading block. Then Greene and Lodolo.

It will happen sooner rather than later -- because they won't be able to compete before they get too expensive.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post

Not for me. I want Moose’s salary off the books in the next year. I don’t want it spread out for three years with Aaron Hicks. Let’s just get the Moose contract over with. Either keep him for the season, or part thereof, or cut him.

Nor do I want Reds to trade Moose with valuable players/prospects to get rid of him. I fear they may go that route.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-07-2022)

Not for me. I want Moose’s salary off the books in the next year. I don’t want it spread out for three years with Aaron Hicks. Let’s just get the Moose contract over with. Either keep him for the season, or part thereof, or cut him.
    I can't disagree, but I also was looking at it from the standpoint of the total additional investment in adding Hicks is roughly 6 million. So three seasons of Hicks(if he turns things around) for basically 2 million per season. They pissed away 10 million for Mike Minor last year, so worse ideas have been tried. But at this point Hicks is a gamble, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Stephenson and India absolutely are next on the trading block. Then Greene and Lodolo.

It will happen sooner rather than later -- because they won't be able to compete before they get too expensive.
    Which is the problem with the non-logic of the Reds plan. They think they'll be able to "coach" up the prospects and compete in 2024 but at the end of that year India, Lodolo, Stephenson and Greene will all start the Arb-process and become eligible; even if they are "competitive" they aren't going to pay these guys especially if they become big time stars in the next couple of years. There is just no logic in the Reds plan, it's Pittsburgh II.
    Where we gonna go?

My guess is the Reds find a taker for Moose, he benefits from the new shift rules and has a decent bounce back year, and everyone here will complain that the Reds were stupid for trading him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My guess is the Reds find a taker for Moose, he benefits from the new shift rules and has a decent bounce back year, and everyone here will complain that the Reds were stupid for trading him.
    Which is why they should stick with him, that and the fact he's the only player on the roster that has an actual WS ring and deep playoff experience. If (and its a big if) he's healthy, he can be a real help to the young players much as Scott Rolen was.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?