Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Quite the embarrassment....of riches!
    You were probably right to excise the last two words of that statement.

For as many catchers as the Reds have drafted in the top 10 rounds, they have had precious little to show for it.

Tyler Stephenson in 2015, Chris Okey in 2016, Mark Kolozsvary in 2017, Jay Schuyler in 2018, Eric Yang in 2019, Jackson Miller in 2020, Mat Nelson in 2021, and Logan Tanner and Cade Hunter in 2022 were all drafted fairly highly. Stephenson was a big hit. The rest of them have been a whole world of meh.

At least signing major league veterans to man the Bat tools of ignorance will result in these guys playing at the level they deserve rather than the level of need.

2. Likes:

malcontent (12-27-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You were probably right to excise the last two words of that statement.

For as many catchers as the Reds have drafted in the top 10 rounds, they have had precious little to show for it.

Tyler Stephenson in 2015, Chris Okey in 2016, Mark Kolozsvary in 2017, Jay Schuyler in 2018, Eric Yang in 2019, Jackson Miller in 2020, Mat Nelson in 2021, and Logan Tanner and Cade Hunter in 2022 were all drafted fairly highly. Stephenson was a big hit. The rest of them have been a whole world of meh.

At least signing major league veterans to man the Bat tools of ignorance will result in these guys playing at the level they deserve rather than the level of need.
    Are we giving up on Jackson Miller? Isn’t he like 21?

Maybe I’m missing something and he’s quit baseball… I thought he was just hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds bring Austin Romine back as a camp invite, and sign pitcher Alan Busenitz as a non-roster invite.

Busenitz’s only ML experience is with the Twins in 2017-18, but his stats overseas and in AAA indicate that he might be be a decent gamble.
    Romine doesn't move the needle much as far as the big league club goes, but I don't hate having him in ST working with the young arms.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As for the poet, we toast with Moet
    There is the old chestnut… he’s a poet but doesn’t know it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Are we giving up on Jackson Miller? Isn’t he like 21?

Maybe I’m missing something and he’s quit baseball… I thought he was just hurt.
    How would you know if he quit baseball?

Drafted in 2020, he's played a grand total of 3 games.

That's an average of one game per season.

Stephenson will have a lot of support behind the plate next year, Maile, Casali, Romine all on board currently.

Not sure if Reds are concerned about his readiness or just intend for Tyler to catch fewer games. Or both.

But anyone thinking Stephenson is going to catch as many as 120 games, I’d guess that’s not the intention.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-28-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But anyone thinking Stephenson is going to catch as many as 120 games, I’d guess that’s not the intention.
    I suspect that's clear in who they've acquired.

But Stephenson will, if healthy, hit in 130 games next season.

Perhaps 150.

It's an interesting question, though. How many games will Stephenson catch?

I'll set the over/under at 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect that's clear in who they've acquired.

But Stephenson will, if healthy, hit in 130 games next season.

Perhaps 150.

It's an interesting question, though. How many games will Stephenson catch?

I'll set the over/under at 75.
    81 if healthy enough would be my guess. Around half the games.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-28-2022)

Were I in charge Stephenson would have already caught his last game. He has a 115 career OPS+ at age 25 (130 in a limited sample last year) and developing gap power. His bat plays anywhere. I don’t find his offensive value to be tied to the catcher position at all. He’s an adequate defensive catcher, but nothing special - and the continual beating he’s taken behind the plate is threatening to impede his development as a middle-of-the-order bat.

Casali and Maile will produce little offensively, but both are accomplished defensive catchers and work well with pitchers. With Moustakas gone, I would make Votto a full time DH and slot Stephenson at 1B. This makes it more likely that both guys stay healthy and contribute to the offense for a full season.

13. Likes:

mth123 (12-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Were I in charge Stephenson would have already caught his last game. He has a 115 career OPS+ at age 25 (130 in a limited sample last year) and developing gap power. His bat plays anywhere. I don’t find his offensive value to be tied to the catcher position at all. He’s an adequate defensive catcher, but nothing special - and the continual beating he’s taken behind the plate is threatening to impede his development as a middle-of-the-order bat.

Casali and Maile will produce little offensively, but both are accomplished defensive catchers and work well with pitchers. With Moustakas gone, I would make Votto a full time DH and slot Stephenson at 1B. This makes it more likely that both guys stay healthy and contribute to the offense for a full season.
    I'm leaning in this direction as well. The multiple concussions can't be ignored.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

We have hit a 1000 posts. I have started a new one so please continue there.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?