Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Krall’s obsession with utility infielders continues. I’m not seeing the upside others are seeing, but since this only cost the Reds cash, I put it in the “can’t hurt” category.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Solak’s lifetime numbers are dramatically influenced by 2019 and, against lefties, have been up and down over the years.

Not debating the point about Senzel, just Solak has had good years and bad years against LHP.

And Senzel's averages are much influenced by his first good year. But Solak's worst year against LHP is significantly better than Senzel's lifetime. Solak looks to me like a guy you could platoon in left with Fraley. I don't think that's true of Senzel. Like Mitri, I don't hate it.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Krall’s obsession with utility infielders continues. I’m not seeing the upside others are seeing, but since this only cost the Reds cash, I put it in the “can’t hurt” category.
    FWIW, Solak is listed as an outfielder on Reds.com

I think your point stands though. The 40 man roster is pretty bloated with Steer, Solak, Reynolds, Farmer, Lopez

Reds ownership is like "Ya'll got anymore utility guys named Nick and whose last name begins with S? We'll take them"

Seems… okay. Kind of an Alejo Lopez with maybe a bit more pop.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

If the Mariners release Winker, would you bring him back to DH?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'd trade for his $8M salary so... yes

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-10-2022),CaiGuy (11-11-2022),NC Reds (11-12-2022),Revering4Blue (11-10-2022)

If Reds do look at Solak as a platoon outfielder, it’s probably goodbye to Aquino. I note that Solak is listed on Reds’ roster as an outfielder. That may not be an accident.

If he’s intended as a utility player, I like his versatility. Reds have very few bench players who can handle both IF and OF positions. Not sure he’s a particularly good fielder, but he seems versatile.

Cut rate Solano substitute

My guess is this is a depth pick-up that will allow the Reds to walk away from a more expensive player (Senzel?? Aquino?? maybe Farmer??)). As far as I'm concerned they didn't need that pick-up to walk away, but if it helps the purge begin, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-10-2022 at 06:25 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

JCM11 (11-10-2022),malcontent (11-10-2022)

Reds IMO are good at dumpster diving.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Reds IMO are good at dumpster diving.
    Should be. It's where they live.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

BoxingRed (11-11-2022),Falls City Beer (11-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My guess is this is a depth pick-up that will allow the Reds to walk away from a more expensive player (Senzel?? Aquino?? maybe Farmer??)). As far as I'm concerned they didn't need that pick-up to walk away, but if it helps the purge begin, I'm all for it.
    I'm hoping he turns out to be a guy who turns into a Chad Pinder. They definitely, IMO, need a platoon partner for Fraley. Solak could be that. Everything about his numbers suggests he ought to be a .750 bat against LHers. And that's not nothing. The real winner here may be Steer because in the absence of a platoon partner for Fraley I suspect a lot of that would have fallen to Steer. Steer may now get more time at 3rd. It looks to me like a way of strengthening the setup as they make the transition to the guys coming from the minors. I hope they will try to do a bit more than a platoon in the other corner. The right kind of deal with Conforto would be great but I don't see that coming. I'm a bit intrigued by Haniger actually. If you could put together an outfield of Haniger, Solak, and Fairchild together with an infield of Steer, Farmer, and India, and Stephenson behind the plate, that could be a fairly tough lineup against lefties. I'm hoping we've seen the end of Aquino and Senzel, though I suspect we will see Senzel one more year.

19. Likes:

marcshoe (11-10-2022),mth123 (11-10-2022)

Haven’t heard any suggestion that Senzel is in line to be a platoon RHH in corner OF. Never heard that from Reds, he’s never been a corner OF. So the comparison with Solak for that role isn’t of much significance.

As a platoon RHH, I’d hope Solak can do better than the suggested .750 OPS, you’d want more from a one-way platoon bat. He has done better in stretches. Solak is pre-arb and plays a number of positions so no harm in this pickup, he also has a minor league option if necessary.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-11-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Why would the Mariners release Winker? Did I miss something?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

HokieRed (11-11-2022),Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Turn Off Ads?