Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

My guess is the reds are trying to get a few quick settlements with their arb guys while also trying to trade them for whatever lotto tickets they can get. Other teams have been clearing a lot of the chaff from their rosters and adding kids who need protected from AAA. I'm guessing the Reds are going to wait until the last possible minute while they negotiate both with the players and with other teams. When the buzzer goes off, I imagine that the Reds will make room for the 4 or 5 minor leaguers who need to be added by non-tendering guys. I'd say Farmer (Farmer might be traded, but I don't see many teams willing to go to arb with him at the figures being floated out there), Aquino, Sims, Hoffman and Senzel are most at risk or being non-tendered. Solak and a cheap guy like Matt Reynolds, would seem to be an alternative to Farmer, Aquino and Senzel (who the reds discussed converting to a multi-position type) and I'd guess all three might be dealt or non-tendered in the next week or so.

Otherwise, why haven't obvious cuts, like say Kyle Dowdy, already been let go?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My guess is the reds are trying to get a few quick settlements with their arb guys while also trying to trade them for whatever lotto tickets they can get. Other teams have been clearing a lot of the chaff from their rosters and adding kids who need protected from AAA. I'm guessing the Reds are going to wait until the last possible minute while they negotiate both with the players and with other teams. When the buzzer goes off, I imagine that the Reds will make room for the 4 or 5 minor leaguers who need to be added by non-tendering guys. I'd say Farmer (Farmer might be traded, but I don't see many teams willing to go to arb with him at the figures being floated out there), Aquino, Sims, Hoffman and Senzel are most at risk or being non-tendered. Solak and a cheap guy like Matt Reynolds, would seem to be an alternative to Farmer, Aquino and Senzel (who the reds discussed converting to a multi-position type) and I'd guess all three might be dealt or non-tendered in the next week or so.

Otherwise, why haven't obvious cuts, like say Kyle Dowdy, already been let go?
    The reason Reds have not made obvious cuts is because they aren’t due until next Tuesday the 15th. The reason the Reds have not made non-tender decisions is because they’re not due to next Friday, the 18th. I’m sure the Reds are actively involved in making these decisions. But I wouldn’t read too much into the timing.

Every fan has his favorites and his unfavorites. I wouldn’t assume anything until we actually see the moves, which could begin at any time now. Maybe even today.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-11-2022 at 10:23 AM.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why would the Mariners release Winker? Did I miss something?
    I heard rumblings on Twitter that he’s unhappy in Seattle and his attitude, the same that we largely found charming here, isn’t fitting in well with the rest of the team.

Still, I couldn’t see them releasing him they’d find a suitor on the trade market.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I heard rumblings on Twitter that he’s unhappy in Seattle and his attitude, the same that we largely found charming here, isn’t fitting in well with the rest of the team.

Still, I couldn’t see them releasing him they’d find a suitor on the trade market.
    Interesting. So funny how baseball works. Winker was seen as a great move before last season by the Mariners and now he is bad and is a clubhouse cancer. Meanwhile Suarez was great. So bizarre.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-11-2022),Tom Servo (11-11-2022)

Interesting. So funny how baseball works. Winker was seen as a great move before last season by the Mariners and now he is bad and is a clubhouse cancer. Meanwhile Suarez was great. So bizarre.
    I think it has all been based on one radio appearance from a Seattle writer. Here is the whole quote:

"I think he was home. I was curious because he didn't make the trip when we went to Toronto and then Houston, and I asked. And they said, 'Well, he wanted to get a second opinion on his neck.' … I think they probably just told him to go home. I mean, it speaks to that. I think by the end of the season, it's what scouts call a tired act. I just think some of his teammates were done with him, were just tired of putting up with him. I think the team is frustrated with him. Everything that Mitch Haniger does to prepare for a game to get ready, Jesse Winker's kind of the opposite. I mean, I can say it. He may not like it. I think he's not very physically strong. I don't think he puts in the time to be better defensively or to have a better arm or any of the work that should be done. And really it is counter to what has made this team great. The last few years, this team prepares more than any team I've ever seen on a daily basis to be ready to play that day, and he doesn't. He doesn't always - it's just not there. And it's noticeable. Players notice it. I think part of it is, too, when he didn't post for that doubleheader and guys were having to play 18 straight innings, I think that bothered some players. And once you lose your teammates, why be there? So there's gonna be some hard conversations either with Jesse from this front office, or they're just gonna move on. And (manager) Scott Servais has said that a lot of times, like, 'We have a plan. We have a way we play. We have a way to prepare. If you don't like it, we'll find somebody else that does.' If you can, do it. And I mean Scott's preached it, all the time. But it takes … all these guys to embrace it … they do it, they believe that's why they're good. And Jesse Winker just hasn't followed through on that a lot."

Maybe it's his way of protecting his sources but it sure seems like a lot of conjecture there. I would hope that he has some sources because those are pretty strong attacks on a man's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The reason Reds have not made obvious cuts is because they aren’t due until next Tuesday the 15th. The reason the Reds have not made non-tender decisions is because they’re not due to next Friday, the 18th. I’m sure the Reds are actively involved in making these decisions. But I wouldn’t read too much into the timing.

Every fan has his favorites and his unfavorites. I wouldn’t assume anything until we actually see the moves, which could begin at any time now. Maybe even today.
    But most other teams are doing that now. Its how the reds got Solak. The Rangers just outrighted Jesus Tinoco to get the roster to 34. The Padres added a minor leaguer and outrighted Austin Adams, The Pirates outrighted 6 guys. The Cubs outrighted 7 guys. The Nationals outrighted 2 guys. Teams all over are making these moves. The only reason to wait until the last minute is to try to move money or to get some arb guys to settle for a lesser deal. IMO, guys who don't settle won't be offered contracts with the possible exceptions of Antone and Cessa.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Winker was already signed for 2023 for $8.3 Million if I remember right. I can't see a team eating that when he has such bounce-back potential. I could see them trading him, but they won't just cut him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But most other teams are doing that now. Its how the reds got Solak. The Rangers just outrighted Jesus Tinoco to get the roster to 34. The Padres added a minor leaguer and outrighted Austin Adams, The Pirates outrighted 6 guys. The Cubs outrighted 7 guys. The Nationals outrighted 2 guys. Teams all over are making these moves. The only reason to wait until the last minute is to try to move money or to get some arb guys to settle for a lesser deal. IMO, guys who don't settle won't be offered contracts with the possible exceptions of Antone and Cessa.

- - - Updated - - -

These anecdotal examples don’t tell us much. There are 30 teams, some cut guys earlier, some a few days later.

In the Reds case they may be exploring adding guys from other rosters. That influences the number of spots they need open. It’s a broader picture than arb negotiations which can go on until the end of next week.

The only arb guy with a meaningful salary is Farmer, most of the others are pretty cheap. If Reds want to keep an arb player, I don’t see many large gaps in contract talks. Reds may not want them all back, but that’s a unilateral decision.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-11-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I think it has all been based on one radio appearance from a Seattle writer. Here is the whole quote:

"I think he was home. I was curious because he didn't make the trip when we went to Toronto and then Houston, and I asked. And they said, 'Well, he wanted to get a second opinion on his neck.' … I think they probably just told him to go home. I mean, it speaks to that. I think by the end of the season, it's what scouts call a tired act. I just think some of his teammates were done with him, were just tired of putting up with him. I think the team is frustrated with him. Everything that Mitch Haniger does to prepare for a game to get ready, Jesse Winker's kind of the opposite. I mean, I can say it. He may not like it. I think he's not very physically strong. I don't think he puts in the time to be better defensively or to have a better arm or any of the work that should be done. And really it is counter to what has made this team great. The last few years, this team prepares more than any team I've ever seen on a daily basis to be ready to play that day, and he doesn't. He doesn't always - it's just not there. And it's noticeable. Players notice it. I think part of it is, too, when he didn't post for that doubleheader and guys were having to play 18 straight innings, I think that bothered some players. And once you lose your teammates, why be there? So there's gonna be some hard conversations either with Jesse from this front office, or they're just gonna move on. And (manager) Scott Servais has said that a lot of times, like, 'We have a plan. We have a way we play. We have a way to prepare. If you don't like it, we'll find somebody else that does.' If you can, do it. And I mean Scott's preached it, all the time. But it takes … all these guys to embrace it … they do it, they believe that's why they're good. And Jesse Winker just hasn't followed through on that a lot."

Maybe it's his way of protecting his sources but it sure seems like a lot of conjecture there. I would hope that he has some sources because those are pretty strong attacks on a man's character.
    Hate to be like Doug here and tease something I don't want to go publicly into detail about but I've heard some more stuff that indicates unhappiness with Wink and Seattle, more to do with Winker's personal life. I just get the impression between that and the struggles and injury that he's not having a very good time right now, even if his teammates do, in fact, like him fine.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Hate to be like Doug here and tease something I don't want to go publicly into detail about but I've heard some more stuff that indicates unhappiness with Wink and Seattle, more to do with Winker's personal life. I just get the impression between that and the struggles and injury that he's not having a very good time right now, even if his teammates do, in fact, like him fine.
    You're dead to me Servo

13. Likes:

NebraskaRed (11-11-2022),Tom Servo (11-11-2022)

Da Wink can’t stand a good music scene
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-11-2022)

Yeah, I'm not touching this...

Seasonal affective disorder due to the oppressive cloudiness?

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Seasonal affective disorder due to the oppressive cloudiness?
    But he's from Buffalo so he should be used to it

20. Likes:

NebraskaRed (11-12-2022)

Why would the Mariners release Winker? Did I miss something?
    He's more than willing to come off the bench and/or DH. Even though Kelenic passed him on the depth chart in September, it's still open competition to begin the season. I imagine the two of them split time there next season, though both are LH hitters, so I don't know about that. Winker may be destined to splitting time at DH with someone.

Scott Servais will figure it out.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-11-2022)

Isn’t Winker’s health in question right now? Will he be ready to go early next year?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-neck-surgery/

Turn Off Ads?