Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hate to be like Doug here and tease something I don't want to go publicly into detail about but I've heard some more stuff that indicates unhappiness with Wink and Seattle, more to do with Winker's personal life. I just get the impression between that and the struggles and injury that he's not having a very good time right now, even if his teammates do, in fact, like him fine.
    Alright to prove I'm not a Doug I will say you can find some of this on Twitter, and basically Wink is spilling his guts to strangers at the bars in Seattle, lamenting his situation with the Mariners and with the mother of his child. That's what has been reported anyway maybe they're making it all up and everything is fine! But it sounds like he is not having much fun in Washington.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds transactions ledger shows pitchers Nick Howard and Kevin Herget signed to minor league contracts.

4. Likes:

757690 (11-11-2022)

I like Herget as AAA depth insurance. He had a quality season last year as a AAA SP. Great peripherals. Old for the level. Likely not to stand in the way of what's there, but willing to take his starts as well. He is the polar opposite of Red pitchers in the system-- he gives up a ton of hits and HR, but limits the damage by striking out a decent clip and limiting walks. Maybe they brought him in to show their minor leaguers how to pitch...?

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-12-2022),Ron Madden (11-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds transactions ledger shows pitchers Nick Howard and Kevin Herget signed to minor league contracts.
    Herget is 31 with 3 options intact. Guess he's a minor league shuttle possibility if he's ever added to the roster. The Reds just can't quit soon to be 30 Nick Howard. His lack of control makes some of the other walk happy prospects look good by comparison. Exactly the kind of guys I wish they'd quit fooling with.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Herget is 31 with 3 options intact. Guess he's a minor league shuttle possibility if he's ever added to the roster. The Reds just can't quit soon to be 30 Nick Howard. His lack of control makes some of the other walk happy prospects look good by comparison. Exactly the kind of guys I wish they'd quit fooling with.
    Do you think the Reds are still trying to prove that they didn’t make a mistake by wasting a first round pick on Howard? What is this? His third or fourth go-around with the team? What lightening-in-the-bottle has changed since they released him a few months ago?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Do you think the Reds are still trying to prove that they didn’t make a mistake by wasting a first round pick on Howard? What is this? His third or fourth go-around with the team? What lightening-in-the-bottle has changed since they released him a few months ago?
    30 something career minor league pitchers is the new undervalued area in their mind I suppose. Sometimes I think they are trying to be the smartest guy in the room a little too hard. They have several guys like that on the roster I wish they'd cut ties with. Instead they sign more.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-11-2022)

Reds used something like 34 pitchers in the bigs last season, plus a few position players on the mound.

Some of these signings are just to help fill high minor league rosters with enough arms to get through. Some will lack upside or be long shots for MLB promotion.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-12-2022 at 12:02 AM.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds used something like 34 pitchers in the bigs last season, plus a few position players on the mound.

Some of these signings are just to help fill high minor league rosters with enough arms to get through. Some will lack upside or be long shots for MLB promotion.
    I get it. A better idea would be to sign major league pitchers and let the minor leaguers on the major league roster be those depth arms.

This from MLBTR
    Reds, Kevin Herget Agree To Minor League Deal

Herget has spent most of his career working out of the bullpen, but he’s gotten more rotation work over the past few seasons. He averaged 4.65 innings per appearance with the Bulls this year and could serve as either rotation or long relief depth in Cincinnati.

The Reds presently have Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo and Graham Ashcraft as their top three starters, while the bullpen finished 28th in the majors with a 4.72 ERA.

They’re sure to add a few more immediate big league options this offseason, but the lack of defined roles in both the rotation and relief unit makes Cincinnati a solid landing spot for quality depth players of Herget’s ilk looking to snag an Opening Day job.

Big fan of Herget
    Last edited by Rowsdower; 11-12-2022 at 09:24 AM.

30 something career minor league pitchers is the new undervalued area in their mind I suppose. Sometimes I think they are trying to be the smartest guy in the room a little too hard. They have several guys like that on the roster I wish they'd cut ties with. Instead they sign more.
    Or maybe you have to fill out minor league rosters too. Howard is a known quantity in the system. Maybe they like that. Not every minor leaguer has to be a bonafide prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Or maybe you have to fill out minor league rosters too. Howard is a known quantity in the system. Maybe they like that. Not every minor leaguer has to be a bonafide prospect.
    Howard is pretty good, IIRC, about working with younger guys as a veteran arm. Perhaps they're grooming him for a coaching spot later on, while still believing enough in his arm to think he could be a depth piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Signing career minor league guys who have options has been one way the Dodgers, Guardians, and Rays have largely gamed the 40-man roster system. If they were trying to be the smartest guy in the room, wouldn't they do something different?

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Howard is pretty good, IIRC, about working with younger guys as a veteran arm. Perhaps they're grooming him for a coaching spot later on, while still believing enough in his arm to think he could be a depth piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Signing career minor league guys who have options has been one way the Dodgers, Guardians, and Rays have largely gamed the 40-man roster system. If they were trying to be the smartest guy in the room, wouldn't they do something different?
    On Howard. Exactly. I haven’t looked at his stuff in a few years, but he had a big arm when he was drafted even if it was a bit of a reach in round 1. Maybe he finds something control wise. Likely not, and if he makes the big leagues, it’ll probably be a thanks for being a organizational type guy cup of coffee like we saw with Okey this year. But back to the point, there are reasons other than legit prospect status guys get brought into minor league systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    The Reds already have more career minor league pitchers than they need. Having a few of these guys is fine, but the Reds have filled about 60 percent of the major league pitching staff with them. I guess if they cut a bunch of those guys loose, adding these guys won’t be so bad, but too many of these guys in the minors means eventually you’ll have too many big league innings going to them. Not really a fan of 30 year old minor leaguers.
    ]
    Last edited by mth123; 11-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.

The Reds already have more career minor league pitchers than they need. Having a few of these guys is fine, but the Reds have filled about 60 percent of the major league pitching staff with them. I guess if they cut a bunch of those guys loose, adding these guys won’t be so bad, but too many of these guys in the minors means eventually you’ll have too many big league innings going to them. Not really a fan of 30 year old minor leaguers.
    ]
    This is really a non-event, mth.

The Reds have 23 pitchers on the forty. Most of their upcoming cuts will be pitchers. Some will seek other opportunities. Later in the off-season, probably more cuts as Reds add to the roster.

There will also be thinning out in the minor league system. Some guys will retire, or become FAs, or the Reds will very quietly let them go.

Herget and Howard are experienced guys who can be in AA or AAA. That depth enables lower level pitchers to take their time and not be rushed.

It’s sound management to add guys like this on minor league contracts. The organizational depth is necessary.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-12-2022 at 09:28 AM.

22. Likes:

NebraskaRed (11-12-2022),Old school 1983 (11-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?