Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions needed (next Reds HOF class)

Re: Suggestions needed (next Reds HOF class)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Welcome to the Reds Hall of Fame, @dgravy32!

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

JUST ANNOUNCED: Danny Graves & Gabe Paul will join Bronson Arroyo to complete the 2023 Reds Hall of Fame induction class!

Graves is the Reds' all-time saves leader and a two-time All-Star.

Paul served as GM in the 1950s and was instrumental in diversifying the Reds' talent pool.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Graves, former GM Paul elected to Reds HOF

Bronson Arroyo will have company during the 2023 Reds Hall of Fame induction ceremony this summer. The club announced on Tuesday that former reliever Danny Graves and former general manager Gabe Paul were selected by the Hall’s veterans committee, which consists of Reds executives, Hall of Fame board members, baseball historians and media members.

The franchise’s all-time leader with 182 saves, Graves arrived from Cleveland in a trade on July 31, 1997. For five seasons from 1998 until 2002, he was Cincinnati’s primary closer and had an ERA of 3.23 during a stretch that included his being a National League All-Star in 2000.

There was an ill-fated decision to make Graves a starting pitcher in 2003, but once back in the bullpen in ‘04 he recorded a career-high 41 saves and made his second All-Star team.

Graves, 49, is the only Vietnamese-born player in Major League history.

Paul, who died in 1998 at the age of 88, was the Reds’ GM from 1951-60 after previously working as the club’s traveling secretary and publicity director.

During Paul's tenure, the Reds integrated and broke the color barrier by adding Nino Escalera and Chuck Harmon in 1954 before future Hall of Famer Frank Robinson debuted in 1956.

The club focused on cultivating talent from Latin America under his direction and established an affiliate agreement with the Havana Sugar Kings in Cuba.

Among the players Paul signed or traded for were Robinson, Tony Perez, Leo Cardenas, Pete Rose, Gus Bell, Jim Maloney and Jim O’Toole. The Reds Hall of Fame was established in 1958 under Paul’s watch as well.

Paul is the fourth GM to be elected to the Reds Hall of Fame.
    Reds Hall of Fame induction festivities are scheduled for July 15-16, 2023.

story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/danny-grave...s-hall-of-fame
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-29-2022 at 09:02 PM.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (11-29-2022)

I'm glad to see Gabe Paul selected by the Hall’s veterans committee.

6. Likes:

RedsBaron (11-30-2022)

Graves over Franco. What a joke!!!

8. Likes:

mth123 (11-30-2022),REDREAD (12-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Graves over Franco. What a joke!!!
    Just looking at saves, Graves did have more saves with 182. Franco had 148. But saying that Franco should be in too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Counting stats matter to the casual fan. Graves worked the radio side for a bit and seemed to make amends with the fans. Spent a year as a SP, which turned out to be a bad idea, albeit typical of the Reds. Walked too many, K'd too few, but had a spectacular defense behind him and knew how to pitch to it.

The building has room for him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

redsfanmia (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Just looking at saves, Graves did have more saves with 182. Franco had 148. But saying that Franco should be in too.
    Graves 435 games in relief 1.37 whip 3.94 era

Franco 393 games in relief 1.27 whip 2.49 era

Saves is a cumulative and opportunity stat. Franco was much the better, though for a shorter time in Cincinnati. With Graves, we felt we had a decent reliable closer(that might be overstating since most fans never trusted him for much of his career here) while with Franco we had a star. Something special.

Graves is a better Tommy Hume, Franco is way above any of them.

Also want to add, Franco being a lefty faced more rightys than Graves being a righty faced Leftys. To me that widens the gap even more when looking at aggregate stats.
    Last edited by foster15; 11-30-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Gabe Paul, huh?

(Re-reads first page of thread)

Solid.

14. Likes:

westofyou (11-30-2022)

Is Danny the first HOF inductee (on Reds) to flip off the fans? Or do we have any others in there already?

16. Likes:

mth123 (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Graves 435 games in relief 1.37 whip 3.94 era

Franco 393 games in relief 1.27 whip 2.49 era

Saves is a cumulative and opportunity stat. Franco was much the better, though for a shorter time in Cincinnati. With Graves, we felt we had a decent reliable closer(that might be overstating since most fans never trusted him for much of his career here) while with Franco we had a star. Something special.

Graves is a better Tommy Hume, Franco is way above any of them.

Also want to add, Franco being a lefty faced more rightys than Graves being a righty faced Leftys. To me that widens the gap even more when looking at aggregate stats.
    They both should be in. Hopefully someday whoever votes will get Franco in.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

757690 (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They both should be in. Hopefully someday whoever votes will get Franco in.
    I agree they should both be in. But they should go in proper order and Franco pitched longer ago and better. Why do they keep slapping him in the face sorta speak?

That would be like if Fred Norman went in before Jim Maloney. It makes no sense.

I saw several guys on that list who should go in before Danny Graves. I'm OK with Graves I suppose, but others are more deserving and still not in.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I saw several guys on that list who should go in before Danny Graves. I'm OK with Graves I suppose, but others are more deserving and still not in.
    Maybe like they had a Cincinnati Native induction with Oester, Griffey Jr. and Parker they're waiting for Chapman to become eligible so they can have greatest left-handed closers that we traded away to New York themed induction.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Is Danny the first HOF inductee (on Reds) to flip off the fans? Or do we have any others in there already?
    It may have been out of sight, but I'd be willing to bet Robby heard a few things that caused that finger to appear.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

24. Likes:

westofyou (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It may have been out of sight, but I'd be willing to bet Robby heard a few things that caused that finger to appear.
    Oh, I thought of that too

Turn Off Ads?