Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angels Will Be Sold This Offseason for Record Price

Re: Angels Will Be Sold This Offseason for Record Price

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not all markets are created equal. I doubt that our owners are keeping more money for themselves than the owners of the Dodgers or the Yankees. I think the large payroll team owners are no less greedy than the small market guys
    The Reds spend less on payroll then they receive as part of revenue sharing. In other words, they are taking money from the big markets and not spending it on payroll.

They don't have to sell a single ticket and still make money.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-08-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I’ve always wondered why the Angels and White Sox have never really established their brands despite having half of huge markets. It’s like the Dodgers and Cubs got 90% of the prime property and kept it.
    The Angels were always handicapped in that market. To get the AL in the LA market the league had to bend over backwards for O'Malley. They had to play in his park, pay him to get in the market and suck up seconds as far as media coverage goes. Then the NL planted a team south of them that sucked up a big possible fanbase. Plus they had an identity problem (LA>California>Anaheim>LA) Just a big hill to climb while the Dodgers were a premier team in MLB.

The CWS problem was poor ownership and a stadium in a part of town that was undergoing flight and decay. Plus WGN really leaned hard into the Cubs when the division era kicked off and the Sox just spinned their wheels doing more of the same.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with that at all. Everything is (and has been for decades) getting out of hand. The greed, the inflation, the lack of priorities, we're all to blame.
    Because fans want their team to win we are to blame? Eh?

I can easily stop buying tickets if that’s the issue. Reds games suck to go to any more.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by BenchRider View Post
    MLB minimum has been a bit above $500k for a while. I think neurosurgeons probably start a bit below $500k/year minimum. Those who go on to start their own clinics, excel to the top of their field will make millions per year. It's not that far off for the most part. The market rates are determined by the market in either case.
    There is a bit of difference in your comparison. A 22 year old is making 500k a year while the other is finishing his bachelors degree with 4 years of medical school and 8 years of residency ahead of him. not to mention the massive student loans he is amassing. Now a neurosurgeon who excells in his field and starts his own practice is equivalent to a top tier baseball player who signs a guaranteed contract for multiple years paying him 30 million a year. The big difference is that the surgeon can massively screw up or develop the shakes and he is sued and out of business, the baseball player screws up or gets hurt continues to get his millions for years while doing nothing.

A change of minds (I.e. nobody offered enough money)

Name:  16A1D830-25BD-47FD-8DB2-84A41ABE9F69.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  183.4 KB

9. Likes:

fondfoat (01-23-2023)

Angels fans right now

Attachment 19146
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

stlwahoo (01-24-2023)

Sam Blum
    @SamBlum3

From MLB commissioner Rob Manfred (prepared statement):

“Despite strong buyer interest in the Angels, Arte Moreno’s love of the game is most important to him. I am very pleased that the Moreno Family has decided to continue owning the team."

If Castellini and the rest of the ownership group ever publicly say they're going to sell the team and then take it back, I'll cry.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-24-2023)

Some baseball guys have mentioned there may be 2-3 clubs for sale in the near future. No ideal how much truth is behind it, but I just pray it’s the Reds.

And, the Angels will spend more money, will raise ticket prices and those ticket prices will be shared with the REDS' Ownership group without the REDS paying a dime. Greene or Lodolo may be pitching for the Angels in a few years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Being an Angels fan is a special kind of hell. For the past 5 seasons, you had the games two best, and most iconic and exciting players, and the front office can’t build even a .500 team around them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

18. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-24-2023),stlwahoo (01-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Being an Angels fan is a special kind of hell. For the past 5 seasons, you had the games two best, and most iconic and exciting players, and the front office can’t build even a .500 team around them.
    Not that special. We're Reds fans. Since 1995, there isn't much more hell than that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

"After careful consideration, I've decided to not sell my magic box that prints more money the less I pay attention to it..."

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-24-2023),Ron Madden (01-24-2023),Roy Tucker (01-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If Castellini and the rest of the ownership group ever publicly say they're going to sell the team and then take it back, I'll cry.
    I'll grab some pitchforks and well charge the gates!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Some baseball guys have mentioned there may be 2-3 clubs for sale in the near future. No ideal how much truth is behind it, but I just pray it’s the Reds.
    I saw Will Carroll say that and he said the Reds were definitely not one of them and the ownership structure with so many minority owners would make it extremely difficult to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

24. Likes:

HammerTime (01-24-2023),Ron Madden (01-24-2023)

Turn Off Ads?