Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2022/2023 Ohio State Mens Basketball Thread

Re: 2022/2023 Ohio State Mens Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    An arbitrary number like that doesn't work. 19 wins in the Big 10 means more than 20 in C-USA which means a bunch more than 25 in the MEAC. Schedules matter.
    Yep, Its all about who you play and who you beat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    An arbitrary number like that doesn't work. 19 wins in the Big 10 means more than 20 in C-USA which means a bunch more than 25 in the MEAC. Schedules matter.
    It works in college football. Do schedules matter? Because the big ten beats up on each other every year and everyone acts like the conference is so great and then they get to March and nobody makes it out of the opening weekend.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It works in college football. Do schedules matter? Because the big ten beats up on each other every year and everyone acts like the conference is so great and then they get to March and nobody makes it out of the opening weekend.
    Except for the 6 final fours and 3 national titles they’ve played for the past decade.

Can’t really compare basketball to football, but encouraging better regular season games in both should be a goal. What you are proposing does the opposite.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-23-2023),dubc47834 (03-22-2023),Revering4Blue (03-22-2023),westofyou (03-22-2023)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If the Selection Committee's job is to put the top 68 teams in the tourney each year, then the B1G consistently has 7-10 of those top teams. I don't care that MSU won 19 games and Toledo went 27-8 this year. Play better teams out of conference. I get it that your conference schedule is what it is. But you can absolutely schedule better out of conference. You know why they don't tho, because they would lose most of those...probably.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    But you can absolutely schedule better out of conference. You know why they don't tho, because they would lose most of those...probably.
    This is not always true at all. A lot of the time mid majors will try to schedule the big boys and they will not agree to it.

This is not always true at all. A lot of the time mid majors will try to schedule the big boys and they will not agree to it.
    I actually think it’s gotten harder for mid majors because so many non conference games happen in tournaments or things like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and most mid majors aren’t getting invited to those. The actual home non conference games are against East South Medical Tech State.

I have heard this argument, but I don't know the actual validity of it. Using Toledo as an example, they played zero power 5 schools, and zero schools that I would consider quality basketball programs. They didn't go out and schedule anyone of substance. When you do that your margin is very narrow to get an at large bid. On the other hand, Kent St. went out and played Gonzaga, Houston, and Charleston. Two programs with national title aspirations and one program who was a quality mid major with at large aspirations.

I just went and looked, OSU played 6 non power programs, and all looked to be garbage. Would they have played a Toledo? But I went and looked at College of Charleston's schedule, and what is stopping someone like Toledo from playing that schedule? Or playing a schedule like UD does?

But when your out there complaining about MSU getting in, go find me 10 wins if Toledo plays that schedule. Go find me 10 wins if a bubble mid major plays that schedule.

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2023),Revering4Blue (03-22-2023),westofyou (03-22-2023)

True to a small degree. Gonzaga had this issue some I believe, not they go play people on neutral sites. It can be done if they really want to.

I'm missing the argument here. The reason MAC teams only get so many games with B10 teams is partly because of the draw. Example UM vs EMU, WMU, CMU or even U of Detroit. They will want to host (as will the smaller school) and they hope it will be a good regional draw. That's part of the whole bargain right? UM lost one of those games this year, it followed them like a ghost

But the problem is they can't load up on those matchups, they have to play other conferences big guys or mid guys

College sports has always been a play at your level sport. The cost of playing basketball is minimal and everyone thinks they can roll with the big boys

But not everyone can

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-23-2023),Revering4Blue (03-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm missing the argument here. The reason MAC teams only get so many games with B10 teams is partly because of the draw. Example UM vs EMU, WMU, CMU or even U of Detroit. They will want to host (as will the smaller school) and they hope it will be a good regional draw. That's part of the whole bargain right? UM lost one of those games this year, it followed them like a ghost

But the problem is they can't load up on those matchups, they have to play other conferences big guys or mid guys

College sports has always been a play at your level sport. The cost of playing basketball is minimal and everyone thinks they can roll with the big boys

But not everyone can
    For the 75th time I’m not talking about the MAC and Toledo

With that said, down goes Sparty. Big ten doesn’t get past sweet 16. This is totally fine.

With that said, down goes Sparty. Big ten doesn’t get past sweet 16. This is totally fine.
    Sparty had quite an overachieving run. Kudos to them

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-23-2023)

They got beat by a 3 seed...good on you pal!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    They got beat by a 3 seed...good on you pal!
    Sparty was favored to win by Vegas. Not exactly a David vs Goliath situation.

Sparty was favored to win by Vegas. Not exactly a David vs Goliath situation.
    That's also to their credit

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sparty had quite an overachieving run. Kudos to them

If you're not being sarcastic, MSU upset Marquette in what was basically a home game where Marquette played their worst game of the year. Not a big over achievement.

22. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-23-2023)

Turn Off Ads?