Thread: 2022/2023 Ohio State Mens Basketball Thread

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: 2022/2023 Ohio State Mens Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Currently playing Michigan on CBS.
    The Bucks had no answer for Dickinson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Because they are terrible and Zed Key is the smallest big man in the country. Holtmann needs to go. Immediately.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Because they are terrible and Zed Key is the smallest big man in the country. Holtmann needs to go. Immediately.
    Chris Beard is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The Bucks had no answer for Dickinson.
    When he can control the paint and Howard and Bufkin are on that's this UM team at their best. OSU is missing something that they usually have, a scrappy gym rat feel usually is what I sense from them. Could just be an off year, I'll let the ones who see them more be the judge of that

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When he can control the paint and Howard and Bufkin are on that's this UM team at their best. OSU is missing something that they usually have, a scrappy gym rat feel usually is what I sense from them. Could just be an off year, I'll let the ones who see them more be the judge of that
    Can't really comment on UM, haven't seen the play other than bits and pieces of yesterday's game. Looks like a lost season on their end as well.

IMO its a roster in transition. I wonder if Key's shoulder injury is the biggest problem, as he struggled down the stretch last season. They tried to get a scrappy gym rat guy, but Likeilee has been a disappointment. Sueing is a slasher who is best used as your 3rd scorer, not a guy you want to count on each and every night.

They started off the season playing pretty good basketball, but sure have stumbled once they it B1G play. They don't have a true big in the last conference on earth where you need one. Okpara probably is that, but isn't strong enough at this point. Sensabaugh may very well be a one and done guy, but his defense is pretty terrible at this point. Every B1G team they play is going to slow the game down, make them earn it on offense, and OSU just can't do that. And at this point in the season, they can't guard an entire possession either.

I may be on of the few, but I give Holtmann one more year. I like the group of young guys this team has, and like whats coming in. But we shall see, Holtmann should be counting his lucky stars that OSU is football obsessed and people really don't tune into basketball until March.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Can't really comment on UM, haven't seen the play other than bits and pieces of yesterday's game. Looks like a lost season on their end as well.

IMO its a roster in transition. I wonder if Key's shoulder injury is the biggest problem, as he struggled down the stretch last season. They tried to get a scrappy gym rat guy, but Likeilee has been a disappointment. Sueing is a slasher who is best used as your 3rd scorer, not a guy you want to count on each and every night.

They started off the season playing pretty good basketball, but sure have stumbled once they it B1G play. They don't have a true big in the last conference on earth where you need one. Okpara probably is that, but isn't strong enough at this point. Sensabaugh may very well be a one and done guy, but his defense is pretty terrible at this point. Every B1G team they play is going to slow the game down, make them earn it on offense, and OSU just can't do that. And at this point in the season, they can't guard an entire possession either.

I may be on of the few, but I give Holtmann one more year. I like the group of young guys this team has, and like whats coming in. But we shall see, Holtmann should be counting his lucky stars that OSU is football obsessed and people really don't tune into basketball until March.
    I really have no dog in the fight - though I hate to see one of the B1G's flagship programs down for the good of the league - but this is about where I am.

That said, this situation, at least at this point. is mirroring Archie Miller's final season at the helm of IU. But, for comparison sake, Archie's ill-fated final IU season occurred during a short Covid season with an injury riddled team, while this OSU team, which I'll agree is flawed compared with Holtmann's previous teams at both Butler and OSU, was still actually projected to finish around 3rd to 5th in the Conference and safely in the NCAA tourney picture. In other words, they are underachieving, no getting around it.

If the Buckeyes fail to win another game this season or win (at most) two games, then Holtmann's tenure at OSU could conceivably come to an end. The difference is Miller didn't have a top-flight recruiting class coming in the next season as Holtmann currently has.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I really have no dog in the fight - though I hate to see one of the B1G's flagship programs down for the good of the league - but this is about where I am.

That said, this situation, at least at this point. is mirroring Archie Miller's final season at the helm of IU. But, for comparison sake, Archie's ill-fated final IU season occurred during a short Covid season with an injury riddled team, while this OSU team, which I'll agree is flawed compared with Holtmann's previous teams at both Butler and OSU, was still actually projected to finish around 3rd to 5th in the Conference and safely in the NCAA tourney picture. In other words, they are underachieving, no getting around it.

If the Buckeyes fail to win another game this season or win (at most) two games, then Holtmann's tenure at OSU could conceivably come to an end. The difference is Miller didn't have a top-flight recruiting class coming in the next season as Holtmann currently has.
    This team reminds me of Thad's last season at OSU. With a caveat that they were pretty fun to watch early. I saw a stat yesterday, but just checked, and 10 of their losses are by less than 10 points. They got in this funk early in the losing streak where they continued to lose close games. They found a way to lose those games.

Recently the games have reminded me of Thad's last season. Just a team who isn't playing well, isn't jelling, just isn't a whole lot of fun to watch.

The reason I would stick with Holtman is he has a nice core of young players and has a nice recruiting class coming in. This is really the first season he has stubbed his toe. Now some can say he has been somewhat lackluster in the tournament, which I will agree. Some of it has been match ups, some of it has been poor performance. FWIW the only time he didn't make it out of the first round was his highest seeded team. And you still can't convince me that Oral Roberts was a 15 seed!

Basketball is interesting in that the grad transfers had already started to play a pretty big roll in a teams success. So I don't think the portal has had the massive and overwhelming impact that it has in other sports. At the same time I think Holtman has been pretty lackluster in the portal. Seems to bring in a guy or two each season who is just kinda blah.

Its probably been Holtman's worst coaching job at OSU, but I am willing to give him another season because I think the future looks promising.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This team reminds me of Thad's last season at OSU. With a caveat that they were pretty fun to watch early. I saw a stat yesterday, but just checked, and 10 of their losses are by less than 10 points. They got in this funk early in the losing streak where they continued to lose close games. They found a way to lose those games.

Recently the games have reminded me of Thad's last season. Just a team who isn't playing well, isn't jelling, just isn't a whole lot of fun to watch.

The reason I would stick with Holtman is he has a nice core of young players and has a nice recruiting class coming in. This is really the first season he has stubbed his toe. Now some can say he has been somewhat lackluster in the tournament, which I will agree. Some of it has been match ups, some of it has been poor performance. FWIW the only time he didn't make it out of the first round was his highest seeded team. And you still can't convince me that Oral Roberts was a 15 seed!

Basketball is interesting in that the grad transfers had already started to play a pretty big roll in a teams success. So I don't think the portal has had the massive and overwhelming impact that it has in other sports. At the same time I think Holtman has been pretty lackluster in the portal. Seems to bring in a guy or two each season who is just kinda blah.

Its probably been Holtman's worst coaching job at OSU, but I am willing to give him another season because I think the future looks promising.
    Oral Roberts was definitely under-seeded two years ago. We will never know what would have transpired had there been no pandemic and canceled ‘20 tournament. The other instances under Holtmann where they were eliminated before the Sweet 16 occurred when they were underdogs against the teams that eliminated them.

This is really the only season in which they have truly underachieved by any reasonable metric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Gene Smith already said Holtmann is their coach of the future. He will at least be given a chance with next year's class.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Oral Roberts was definitely under-seeded two years ago. We will never know what would have transpired had there been no pandemic and canceled ‘20 tournament. The other instances under Holtmann where they were eliminated before the Sweet 16 occurred when they were underdogs against the teams that eliminated them.

This is really the only season in which they have truly underachieved by any reasonable metric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Even that pandemic season was somewhat disjointed. They started off hot, DJ Carton left the team midway through the season, then they had that January lull that seems to happen to every Holtmann team, and looked to have righted the ship.

Holtmann's teams have always performed as to be expected in the tournament (sans the Oral Roberts game.) They win they games they should, one out performance against Iowa St, and they lose the games they should lose.

One trend with his teams is they tend to start off hot, but then have a B1G skid. I don't know why that is, and it seems like in all those season they screw up their NCAA seeding. That is pretty much my biggest beef with Holtmann at OSU.

If you see coaches who are on the hot seat and about to get fired, more often its not just the bad season. It may be a coupe of disappointing seasons in a row. The coach may have mailed in the recruiting (see Thad) and really has nothing to bank the next season on. Hotmann has probably stacked his best and deepest classes together. Sensabaugh may be gone, but the core is quality and the Calvary is coming.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-07-2023)

Even if Sensabaugh tests the NBA waters and decides to come back to college, does he stay at OSU or transfer somewhere that has a legit shot at the National Title?

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-07-2023),Revering4Blue (02-07-2023)

Sensabaugh is looking like a mid-first round talent at this point. He’s gone unless he gets hurt.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Gene Smith already said Holtmann is their coach of the future. He will at least be given a chance with next year's class.
    Its probably time for Gene Smith to move on as well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The schedule is in their favor, so if they can get hot there is still a chance for the NCAAT.

Turn Off Ads?