Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite or Nicest Parks you've ever been to?

Favorite or Nicest Parks you've ever been to?

I think the nicest one imo was Yellowstone National Park. Went there in 2010 with my parents. Had no idea initially it was that huge. My only disappointment was not seeing a bear lol. But saw plenty of other wildlife. Just beautiful.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for these two being their sort of local to me:

Branch Brook Park in Newark, NJ. Peaceful and underrated place in general. Nice place on the outskirts of an urban city. Beautiful basilica Cathedral of the Sacred Heart is right there as well. I did the whole set up. Plus cherry blossoms come out there around March or April. That's quite a sight.

Fort Wadsworth Recreation Area in Staten Island. Another underrated and peaceful place a lot of people dont know about. Beautiful view of the Verrazano Bridge. An old Fort during I believe the American Revolution is there as well for private tours

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite or Nicest Parks you've ever been to?

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    Fort Wadsworth Recreation Area in Staten Island. Another underrated and peaceful place a lot of people dont know about. Beautiful view of the Verrazano Bridge. An old Fort during I believe the American Revolution is there as well for private tours
    I’ve been there. Great views of the Verrazano bridge is right. Part of the NY/ NJ gateway national scenic area.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Oh. I thought you were after baseball parks.....The park in Pensacola looks over the gulf and is frankly about as close to heaven as I can stand. They are no longer a reds affiliate, but if you're in the area, it's worth a visit.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

7. Likes:

Boston Red (11-10-2022),Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

The Pensacola ballpark is fantastic. On the natural beauty side, I have a hard time beating Zion out in southern Utah. Big fan of that area as a whole, frankly. We hid out in the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument area during the early weeks of the pandemic, and I cannot recommend that area highly enough. An amazing area of the country. Even more amazing in April of 2020 when we essentially had it to ourselves.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Going by National Parks only, here's how I'd rank the ones I've visited:

1. Glacier (Montana)
    2. Olympic (Washington State)
    3. Great Smoky Mountains (NC/Tenn)
    4. Crater Lake (Oregon)
    5. Mount Rainier (Washington State)
    6. North Cascades (Washington State)
    7. Dry Tortugas (Florida Keys)
    8. Shenandoah (Virginia)
    9. Cuyahoga Valley (Ohio)

Cuyahoga Valley was the only one I didn't care for. There are a lot better parks in Ohio than that one, IMO. Great Smoky Mountains, I've been to the most. While it's great, and makes me feel very nostalgic, you really have to get away from the crowds to truly appreciate the entire park.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

11. Likes:

Cyclone792 (11-11-2022),Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Acadia National Park is my favorite.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022),Roy Tucker (11-11-2022)

I’ll have to revisit this thread in a couple of weeks to give a recap on our upcoming trip. We’re loading up the family truckster and driving down to Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon National Parks. Of the 3, I’m looking forward to Zion the most. Glacier is the one park I really can’t wait to see.

My current rank of ones I’ve been too:
    1) Yosemite - #1 by a landslide - massive granite walls, waterfalls, redwoods and sequoias, rivers, lakes, views and more.
    2) Grand Tetons - spectacular and the town of Jackson is an A+.
    3) Yellowstone - living in Colorado now, Yellowstone was a tad disappointing overall. Having a bison herd, about 50 of them, walk down the street past our car was an A+ experience though. If you go to Yellowstone, plan on spending a ton of time in your car, many hours per day. That was a big negative.
    4) Rocky Mountain - very big, pretty and peaceful
    5) Smoky Mountains - I was really young, but remember really liking it
    6) Arches - really cool and unique and worth visiting once
    7) Mammoth Cave - I really enjoyed Mammoth. If you like caves, go for it.
    8) Hawaii Volcanoes - lots of sulfur, but definitely a unique experience (I was 11 and don’t remember a lot about it)
    9) Mesa Verde - cool to see once
    10) Everglades - meh
    Last edited by Redhook; 11-11-2022 at 05:23 PM.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

15. Likes:

Cyclone792 (11-11-2022),goreds2 (11-11-2022),Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Oh, fun thread. I've only been to a handful of National Parks and would rank them:

1. Arches
    2. Torres Del Paine (Chile)
    3. Great Smoky Mountains
    4. Acadia
    5. Shenandoah
    6. Canyonlands
    7. Mammoth Cave
    8. Hot Springs
    9. Gateway Arch

Arches is like being on another planet, and the Smokies are as beautiful as anything we have in this country. No idea why Hot Springs and the Arch warranted National Park status, but I won't argue with as much protected land as possible.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

17. Likes:

Cyclone792 (11-11-2022),Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

...the one I grew up next to.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Sequoia for me

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Here are my national park rankings (including 2 national lakeshores):

1) Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
    2) Acadia National Park
    3) Grand Canyon National Park (need to return for a more in-depth experience, in which it might go higher)
    4) Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    5) Saguaro National Park
    6) Petrified Forest National Park
    7) Shenandoah National Park
    8) Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
    9) Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
    10) Mammoth Cave National Park
    11) Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
    12) Cuyahoga Valley National Park

The Kīlauea Iki trail is my all-time favorite hike that I've been on (so far), and that's one reason why Hawaii Volcanoes is my top park. It was like being in another world.

Acadia is the best park on the eastern half of the US, in my opinion.

Grand Canyon was awesome, but it is insanely crowded. We had our 5-year-old son so my wife wouldn't let us do much except stay on the South Rim trail where there was a barricade fence (yes, likely a smart decision). We were only there for a half day as it wasn't even on our original itinerary of our Arizona trip this past summer and I added it at the last minute. That visit was sort of just like an advance scouting mission, and the lesson learned is to be efficient with what you want to see otherwise you'll waste hours waiting on shuttles. We'll go back in a few years for a much more in-depth visit.

I'm looking at options out west for our 2023 national park adventure, and I'm open to suggestions. My son really likes rock scrambles (age appropriate rock scrambles, not cliff edge type stuff). His favorites were rock scrambles in Sedona (mild ones, not cliff edge stuff) as well as the Bearfence Mountain trail in Shenandoah.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022),Roy Tucker (11-11-2022)

Sleeping Bear Dunes

Anywhere in Maine
    What would you say.....ya do here?

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

Grand Canyon was awesome, but it is insanely crowded.
    Try the North Rim. Fantastic all the same and not crowded at all (at least not the day we went, which was in July). The weather is better on the North Rim in the summer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sleeping Bear Dunes

Anywhere in Maine
    Did you climb down and then back up that nearly vertical dune in Sleeping Bear Dunes?

Best Park: Yellowstone

Worst Park: The Everglades

28. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2022)

Turn Off Ads?